• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
with all due respect, and I get your point but there is no similarity.
TF has a huge passion for rugby, he has put his reputation on the line publicly and his current annual dividend is double Harold's net worth.

Sure, but you've still got a white knight promising the world. You blokes have understandably got a lot riding on him delivering on his promises and I honestly don't want to see WA burned.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Probably just end up as a new conference in super rugby in a time zone suitable for Asia..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sure, but you've still got a white knight promising the world. You blokes have understandably got a lot riding on him delivering on his promises and I honestly don't want to see WA burned.

Twiggy isn't really promising the world. He's promising WA. The rest is simply a consequence. And some of us on the east coast are on board because we think "not the ARU" is a marked improvement.

WA was burned by the ARU. I doubt WA fans would treat Twiggy the same, even if after he tries, he fails. Let there be no doubt, Clyne is the bad guy here.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Twiggy isn't really promising the world. He's promising WA. The rest is simply a consequence. And some on the east coast on board because we think "not the ARU" is a marked improvement.

WA was burned by the ARU. I doubt WA fans would treat Twiggy the same, even if after he tries, he fails. Let there be no doubt, Clyne is the bad guy here.

there are lots of ways TF can go here, the men's comp may take some time to establish as the premier southern hemisphere comp.

But it would be easy to have all the best women's players playing in the comp and could probably get all the best 7's players as well.
He could very quickly have the best club women's and 7's comp's in the world.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
My dislike of the ARU and state Unions is the lack of planning for a National Domestic Competition, with a club network beneath that and grassroots beneath that again.

It appears the new league has a very large element of Asian teams and many teams based overseas.

How this helps I am not sure.

While I got excited at the start, my hopes are somewhat dashed by what to me seems the establishment of a Super Rugby model.

The old saying the enemy of my enemy is my friend comes to mine.

Just because TF dislikes the ARU and TBH he did come in late, but if he wants to establish a competition with an international flavour is seems to me there is an argument, rugby, is a vehicle for trade negotiations.

I can't see there is a hope in hell, that teams from Asia V Fiji will get much support in Australia.

Sorry guys, after the initial yepeee I have looked at what many have posted and I can't see it doing a lot for rugby in Australia.

bedandbreakfast

Stan Wickham (3)
dru, Clyne is not the only bad guy but he is the most obvious one. Don't forget Pulver, Clarke, Day and the entire remaining boardmembers.

I suspect Clarke had a great hand in swindling people into coming up with this wrong decision.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Twiggy sets up a new competition, I doubt it will rival Super Rugby - he simply won't have the players or teams to do that......... but hopefully it will add as a placeholder for the Force brand in the interim, and in a year or two we will see a new revamped Super Rugby with the Force reinstated.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
My dislike of the ARU and state Unions is the lack of planning for a National Domestic Competition, with a club network beneath that and grassroots beneath that again.

It appears the new league has a very large element of Asian teams and many teams based overseas.

How this helps I am not sure.

While I got excited at the start, my hopes are somewhat dashed by what to me seems the establishment of a Super Rugby model.

The old saying the enemy of my enemy is my friend comes to mine.

Just because TF dislikes the ARU and TBH he did come in late, but if he wants to establish a competition with an international flavour is seems to me there is an argument, rugby, is a vehicle for trade negotiations.

I can't see there is a hope in hell, that teams from Asia V Fiji will get much support in Australia.

Sorry guys, after the initial yepeee I have looked at what many have posted and I can't see it doing a lot for rugby in Australia.

it will eventually but he cannot challenge them in their heartland until he has a viable comp elsewhere and the ARU is even weaker than it is now.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
If Twiggy sets up a new competition, I doubt it will rival Super Rugby - he simply won't have the players or teams to do that... but hopefully it will add as a placeholder for the Force brand in the interim, and in a year or two we will see a new revamped Super Rugby with the Force reinstated.

not tomorrow but in 2-3 years, how can they compete, they can't make ends meet under the current broadcast arrangements, After 2020 prob no SARU and no Europe b/cast money.
I think they will be a feeder comp to T Rugby like the NRC is to super rugby now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Fair enough too - a domestic comp is my preference as well. Let's just see where it goes first.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
not tomorrow but in 2-3 years, how can they compete, they can't make ends meet under the current broadcast arrangements, After 2020 prob no SARU and no Europe b/cast money.
I think they will be a feeder comp to T Rugby like the NRC is to super rugby now.

btw there is no prob with setting up the women's comp, the ARU said no to that even though it was sponsored.
Then also the 7's men and women's comps.
The ARU aren't financially viable at any level.
They are desperate and stupid not dealing with TF.

WA Govt is still coming after them, and the Senate enquiry, and the public dislike them intensely.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Killer

There is no more international sport than soccer.

Prior to the A-League the Soccoroo's accounted for almost 100% of soccer's income.

Lowy came in and set about establishing a National Domestic Competition.

Today the A-League accounts for I have read about 85% of FFA income.

Soccer turned around the reliance on national teams and so can we. Rugby folk just don't have the same faith in rugby as other codes do in their sports.

We have to tear it down and start again but IMO creating a new competition based on overseas teams. This repeats the mistakes of the past.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I highly doubt that...........

But let's wait and see if Twiggy actually creates this thing first, and then who is involved......... but with the limited options of players and teams available I don't see the product being sustainable long term.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Killer

There is no more international sport than soccer.

Prior to the A-League the Soccoroo's accounted for almost 100% of soccer's income.

Lowy came in and set about establishing a National Domestic Competition.

Today the A-League accounts for I have read about 85% of FFA income.

Soccer turned around the reliance on national teams and so can we. Rugby folk just don't have the same faith in rugby as other codes do in their sports.

We have to tear it down and start again but IMO creating a new competition based on overseas teams. This repeats the mistakes of the past.

maybe, but TF has no other choice, he can't start a national comp v ARU/NRC.
Also circumstances are such that the Chinese (maybe Jack Ma) are looking to be involved, TF already has good relations with China at Govt level.
This is the path of least resistance with the greatest potential return.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The current rule whereby we only select foreign based players who have played over 60 tests is unpopular enough.

Anyway, I can't imagine the ARU will jump to change the policy until they have some clarity on what the new competition is, when it will be played, and who is playing.

I would have less objection to picking players from an Aus based franchise playing in an essentially overseas comp or one playing for a foreign side in Super Rugby, than picking the individuals who have opted to leave Aus rugby altogether to play in Europe/Japan. Really can't see, for example, why Mike AAAA couldn't be picked for the Wallabies while playing for the Crusaders if he's rated good enough.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have less objection to picking players from an Aus based franchise playing in an essentially overseas comp or one playing for a foreign side in Super Rugby, than picking the individuals who have opted to leave Aus rugby altogether to play in Europe/Japan. Really can't see, for example, why Mike AAAA couldn't be picked for the Wallabies while playing for the Crusaders if he's rated good enough.

I agree. Mike Ala'alatoa would be pushing it to make the squad at THP behind his brother and Kepu. He's very close to Faulkner and Ainsley and possibly better now. Certainly he's in the conversation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But is he currently eligible. I think not.

I don't think so and I am not sure whether he is interested or whether he is hoping at cracking the All Blacks. Given their current injuries he must be pretty close to cracking the squad.

We're currently pretty well placed for THPs so I don't think it is really an issue. If we suddenly lost three of Allan A, Kepu, Ainsley and Faulkner to injury you might see that policy reviewed.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I believe he's still eligible for us, but has signed on with the Crusaders long enough that he'll eventually be Kiwi eligible................

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I believe he's still eligible for us, but has signed on with the Crusaders long enough that he'll eventually be Kiwi eligible......

He'll always be eligible for the Wallabies whilst uncapped. He was born here. I don't know if he is NZ eligible via heritage but I assume so.

This was more about eligible under the current ARU selection policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.