• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, what are these conditions set out by RA?

There's a vague reference to club rugby players, and some uncertainty about Wallaby eligibility...............

Once again, the only thing I took away from that article is further proof that Wayne Smith has become a lousy journalist.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
What a load of shite. Piss poor. Access to club players being a sticking point. Get fucked.

Absolutely spot on!

The ugly truth about rugby is that the enemy is within. The pathetic desperation to keep the amateur game amateur for no other reason than to covert history and power and the professional game strictly controlled so a few can keep the power and position is absolutely pathetic.

Bring on the revolution I say!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

There's a vague reference to club rugby players, and some uncertainty about Wallaby eligibility.....

Once again, the only thing I took away from that article is further proof that Wayne Smith has become a lousy journalist.

Um, I thought the paragraph on each point was fairly explanatory.

Without knowing the exact details I think that fact that their are conditions; pages of them and several iterations speaks volumes. The details are really insignificant.

I would suggest you have a quick look at post #235 and the lead up in the Senate enquiry thread as i think your sailing close to the wind. ;)

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Just go the Rebel comp option. The players will follow the money. He's got it, the ARU don't.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It is looking like that might be the only option but if that is the case, then Twiggy should go full out nuclear war and make it a national competition with at least 12 teams. A billion should be able to keep that going for a few years without any other revenue.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It is looking like that might be the only option but if that is the case, then Twiggy should go full out nuclear war and make it a national competition with at least 12 teams. A billion should be able to keep that going for a few years without any other revenue.

Certainly look to set up competing franchises in the current market and then look to bring them to their knees.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I hope he calls their bluff.

As a matter of comparison, FFA last year ran a 10 team national domestic competition and ran 9 international sides including many international games overseas on 102 million dollars. Last year it was reported the A-League clubs on average lost 1.4 million each.

So 102 million + A-League club losses last year 116 say 120 million.

100 million on a purely local domestic competition would work.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Just go full nuclear. There will be blood shed but surely anything has to be better than this death by a thousand cuts we have now.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
What a sad state of affairs. It reeks of the RA being downright worried about the impact of the new comp. Understandable, but frustrating. Im all in on a rebel comp!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Um, I thought the paragraph on each point was fairly explanatory.

Nope....... aside from the two points I mentioned the article doesn't go into any detail about what the conditions RA are trying to place on Twiggy.

I would suggest you have a quick look at post #235 and the lead up in the Senate enquiry thread as i think your sailing close to the wind. ;)

Nah, it's a legitimate question......... As the governing body of the sport in the country, it's no surprise....... in fact, it's completely reasonable that RA want to set terms for this competition - so it's hard to get outraged by this report when there are no real details as to what they are.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

There's a vague reference to club rugby players, and some uncertainty about Wallaby eligibility.....

Unnamed sources, unspecified demands, vague threats to pull out of negotiations entirely......

Twiggy is playing the anti-ARU crowd (and who isn’t in that camp these days)like a virtuosos here.

Good luck to him.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Lots of stuff going on here.

Agree or disagree with the ARU's conduct over the past 18 months (or rather, depending on how much you disagree with it) and acknowledging the ~1 Billion Twiggy is looking to put in, fundamentally this is a competition looking to go directly head to head with Super Rugby, which is rightly or wrongly the flagship "domestic" competition in Australia. RA/ARU are entitled to demand some sort of guarantees to protect Super Rugby.

Restricting Wallabies eligibility to Force players, while not what I'd do, is a far from unreasonable, and fundamentally consistent (Japanese & Kiwi based players aren't eligible either) requirement on the comp.

Restricting the comp, and denying opportunities to those amateur and semi-pro players due to the desire of the nepotistic boys club that is the clubs in the inner suburbs of Sydney (and to a lesser extent Brisbane) is a level beyond that.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
I think also one of the conditions put up by RA is they want The IPRC to put out extra funds for other academies that are based in the eastern states as well. Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t the Force punted to cover some of these costs.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Let me lay my cards on the table. I am far from convinced that TR will work for the greater benefit of Australian rugby. Essentially my cry, moan, despire is we don't have a national domestic competition.

However when you are on your arse and losing ground to fucking netball, basketball, and ever other code and along comes a sugar daddy and says I got 100 MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS per year to help and you do everything you can to get rid of him.

Then fuck you ARU, simply piss off and let someone run it that has an once of common sense and the ability to apply the fair play rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.