• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Why is Tom Carter unpickable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Bottom line is that Tom Carter is never going to win you a game - he probably won't lose it for you either. He won't let you down but then he won't do that something special either. Solid and reliable like the family falcon but Wallabies need something with flair and excitement.

Exactly right. The guy is solid and reliable and Eddie Jones was off the mark with his comments. However the Wallaby Squad and Aus A pathways are about developing test quality players and I'd say it's highly likely the reason that he has never even been selected for Aus A would be because as previously mentioned, he has gotten the most out of his reasonably limited (in comparison to many of his peers) potential, and that he doesn't have a great deal of scope for improvement in his game.

Basically, TC has his loyal supporters because of the work he does to fully reach his potential. However he was never gone any further, because selectors most likely feel that have seen the very best of him. Cooper and Beale's initial selection was obviously not on their current form on the time, but the potential they had, which they have both shown since being a part of the Wallaby set up.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
So does anyone have a problem with giving him a go in Aus A's? Just to see if he can step up?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bottom line is that Tom Carter is never going to win you a game - he probably won't lose it for you either. He won't let you down but then he won't do that something special either. Solid and reliable like the family falcon but Wallabies need something with flair and excitement.

I do not agree with that claim. Defence wins games just as much as attack. The Waratahs have had only 21 tries scored against them in 15 matches this season. Carter missed one game through injury; a game in which the opposition scored five tries. So in the 14 games in which he was organising the backline defence the Waratahs had only 16 tries scored against them, an impressively low average of 1.1 tries per match. By contrast the front running Reds let in 31 tries, or 2.1 tries per game.

Carter is not a bench player.

A hypothetical. The Wallabies are holding a healthy lead in the second half of a match and one of our centres goes down injured. Are you suggesting that it would not make perfect sense to bring on the best defensive technician in Australian rugby in order to ensure that the line wasn't breached?

It's not bell ringing tackles that stem the opposition, it's brick wall defence.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I have no problem. I would be very interested. I think he would surprise more than a few people. One thing that cannot be faulted is his application.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So in the 14 games in which he was organising the backline defence the Waratahs had only 16 tries scored against them, an impressively low average of 1.1 tries per match. By contrast the front running Reds let in 31 tries, or 2.1 tries per game.

Carter has the luxury of playing with a backline that is a sound defensive unit - having Barnes playing inside you is different from playing outside Quade Cooper.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As a keen supporter of TC, I am often puzzled at the persistent personal attacks that deflect from the value of his contribution to club and super rugby. I've never heard anyone comment that TPN should miss the RWC because of his fro.

His rise from Eddie reject to Super 15 regular is a testament to his detemination, yes, but also a testament to the USydney production of top line footballers. He in many ways is their golden boy, the empirical evidence of their superior systems which will nearly always dominate the competition. Their pride in him is immense.

I often think that the resentment and anger at the USydney Club, often expressed in this forum, is unfairly aimed at their golden boy, Tom.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

I am a fan of Carter's defensive ability just not the penalties he gives away. If he cuts this out he could well be a Wallaby squad member.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
These two posts are a good reflection of my own opinion, although I would gladly swap haircuts with him. Thanks, barbarian and Richo.

Bruce it seems to me that you are only interested in the posts which agree with your own. You are also dismissive of the posts which provide reasons for suggesting TC isn't of Wallaby standard.

You also seem to credit TC with the Waratahs' stingy defensive line. What about John Muggleton? On the weekend, the Highlanders actually made quite a few busts in the midfield but then the Waratahs scrambled to shut them down. TC wasn't responsible for the whole team's enthusiasm, desperation and attitude to shut down those breaks.

TC isn't quick, particularly off the mark. He can be exposed in defence, particularly by kicking behind him, because he's slow to turn. He doesn't make dominant tackles. He isn't a good distributor. He can't kick.

It's ok for a player to be missing a few of those characteristics, but to be missing so many suggests that TC is a limited player. That is also the opinion, when their minds aren't addled by your statistics, of most posters on this board. Sure he looks good on paper, but so did the Titanic. However, when it comes to performance, the Titanic and Tom Carter don't perform as well as their less statistically well credentialed rivals. It would be churlish to deny that he is in good form at the moment and has scored a few tries recently. I'm sure he's a nice chap, I have no doubt he works hard and I also believe he's probably a popular squad member. However, in my opinion, he isn't of international standard.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
TC is the best defensive back in Australian Super A at the moment. Barnes is the only player that might challenge him in that area.
For the Wallabies I think we need a strong defensive 13 because at Test level certain players cannot hide in defense.
When the Reds play Cooper controls the attack superbly from 10 and then when the opposition gets the ball he slides out the line and moves into fullback position on defense.
For Australia Cooper needs to stay in the line on defense because if he pushs to full back it takes away one of our greatest strengths which is Beales ability to counter attack.
Strong defensive backs are needed to maximise Cooper's effectiveness, which is why Ant is so valuable to the Reds.
Carter could be the perfect foil to a defensive line containing Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Like the rest of us old farts (respected senior citizens) Bruce is somewhat follically challenged. Any style is better than a Nathan Sharpe.

Hawko

You think the fop is better than the chrome dome? I suppose at least Carter has something to work with. I see him as a quality centre if he had a nice short back and sides or maybe even a page boy. I'm pleased he doesn't have a rat or even a double rat's tail. Chambers's form went down the toilet with his rat. Carter could rise out of the cess pit with a quick trip to Joe the Barber rather than Joh the Bailey.

C

chester

Bruce do you have some passing stats for Tom Carter compared to the other players you have used. It is my understanding that he passes the ball a great deal more than he is given credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.