• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You reckon? Who started the majority of games for the Brumbies?

During Super Rugby TT when all 3 hookers were fit?

Lonergan…………

I think the real question is who will be starting the majority of the games for the Brumbies in future - and that will definitely be Lonergan, and probably McInerney……… both favoured by Rennie as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Given Banks hasn’t really nailed down the 15 jersey, I’m wondering if it’s actually his spot he’s challenging for, not Hodge’s.

In which case, KOB, the Rebels will have to move him to 15 too but the indications this year are that they see him as a winger/No 13.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty excited for the test in Melbourne. In theory it means a debut for at least one or more of the hometown heroes in Leota, Wells or Fa'amausili.

Interesting comments from Kellaway about his potential debut. He essentially said it's all thanks to Northampton Saints and that he was in a very strange mental space when he got there and left in a much improved state, saying his time there was "nothing short of revelationary" Which I'm not sure is a word but I get his point. Maybe NH sojourns for our players aren't the end of the world (if the come back).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pretty excited for the test in Melbourne. In theory it means a debut for at least one or more of the hometown heroes in Leota, Wells or Fa'amausili.

Interesting comments from Kellaway about his potential debut. He essentially said it's all thanks to Northampton Saints and that he was in a very strange mental space when he got there and left in a much improved state, saying his time there was "nothing short of revelationary" Which I'm not sure is a word but I get his point. Maybe NH sojourns for our players aren't the end of the world (if the come back).
A sea change does seem to be a good way to get your head straight.

Plus all their development programs seem better than ours so that probably helps.

Edit: although he doesn't actually seem to be a better player. At least, from what I've seen.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)

Or maybe the Waratahs have a crap development and pathway program and a bunch of half wits running it. That’s the other takeaway from his comments.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
In which case, KOB, the Rebels will have to move him to 15 too but the indications this year are that they see him as a winger/No 13.
He’s played a fair bit of fullback in his career. The only other option in the current 23 would be Wright, so it’s possible that is Rennies other consideration.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
On Hodge, his Wallaby future probably rests on how well Kellaway goes. Kellaway has the all round, versatile game to challenge Reece for the No 23 spot, and is probably a more skillful player.

Can Kellaway kick goals?

I think Hodges kicking gets him a nod for the bench if fully fit

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Between Nic White, Lolesio, JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua the goal kicking should be sorted...

Nic White won’t be kicking many.

EDIT: nor JOC (James O'Connor) for that matter. Since I posted though I realise you’re talking in general, not just this test. My bad.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The annoying thing with Hodge is he's not match fit, but also not in the 23.

I think (hope) we'll have JOC (James O'Connor) & Tate starting game 2.

I expect it'll be Wilson who goes pedal to the metal, as he normally doesn't go the full 80, but Rob does sometimes disappear so could go either way.
Agree Zero,
Wilson’s natural game is to go hard unless he is otherwise told not to. He plays his best footy when he backs his instincts and doesn’t overthink things, he has said so himself when questioned about his TT form. Very difficult to do that for 80mins and can’t see Rennie wanting to change his approach seeing that’s what saw his improved form in TT.

Leave him on until he’s gassed, then bring on Isi for more of the same but with fresh legs.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Hodge never kicked any what? Goals? That's so disconnected from reality.

It's harsh but fair - Hodge is often lauded (and selected) for his long-range boot but far more often than not he misses the clutch kicks.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
It's harsh but fair - Hodge is often lauded (and selected) for his long-range boot but far more often than not he misses the clutch kicks.

If the only times you get called on to kick are the really long difficult kicks the other players don't even have the distance for, you're going to have a poor record.

Edit: How does that Gretzky saying go? "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take". He gives us a chance at goals we otherwise wouldn't even bother taking.