• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Wallabies team to play France at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane on Wednesday 7 July, 8:00pm AEST

1. James Slipper (100 Tests)
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa (8 Tests)
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (43 Tests)
4. Matt Philip (9 Tests)
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (25 Tests)
6. Rob Valetini (4 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (c) (105 Tests)
8. Harry Wilson (6 Tests)
9. Jake Gordon (5 Tests)
10. Noah Lolesio (2 Tests)
11. Marika Koroibete (32 Tests)
12. Matt To’omua (54 Tests)
13. Hunter Paisami (6 Tests)
14. Tom Wright (3 Tests)
15. Tom Banks (11 Tests)

Replacements
16. Lachlan Lonergan*
17. Angus Bell (3 Tests)
18. Taniela Tupou (25 Tests)
19. Darcy Swain*
20. Isi Naisarani (8 Tests)
21. Tate McDermott (2 Tests)
22. Len Ikitau*
23. Andrew Kellaway*

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Gordon isn't the conservative box-kicking machine that people are alluding to here. He made his career as a ball- running scrum-half since he first arrived from club land and still shows that in the rare instances he's behind a pack with any kind of ascendancy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good to see To'omua is healthy. Hopefully he can return to form.

A few surprises on the bench, particularly with the four debutants.

Reactions: BDA

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Decent team - I'd prefer a more experienced reserve second rower and Hodge in the 23 purely for 10 cover (especially with To'omua under an injury cloud) but probably the best we can do in the circumstances.

Although I'd argue that Folau Fainga'a is still a better player than Lonergan.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Decent team - I'd prefer a more experienced reserve second rower and Hodge in the 23 purely for 10 cover (especially with To'omua under an injury cloud) but probably the best we can do in the circumstances.

Lonergan might just be a better finisher.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

You’d lose that argument.

Reactions: mst

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fuck I’m excited. I absolutely love watching Longeran play. Him, Tate & Tupou will be a handful off the bench.

Curious & a bit nervous for Swain, Ikitau & Kellaway to see if they can rise to the next level. Congratulations to all debutants, will be a very interesting series.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That bench is pretty athletic and exciting, they could really up the tempo by bringing those guys on in the last 30

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good team. I jinxed poor old Hodgey. I would have him over Kellaway at 23 for fucken certain.

Maybe Rennie wants a closer look at Kellaway.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The shift in selections for Test #2 will be interesting. A lot of debutants here.

Feeling nervous but eager for the game.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
To'omua's inclusion is a welcome sight. You really need at least one seasoned veteran in that 10/12 combo at test level.

Not sure about benching Tupou and McDermott. I'm usually for starting your best players in any position. I can only presume it's a tactical call about how they want to finish the game. If that's the case I don't have problem with it.

The bench is a little green for my liking but I suppose Rennie is building so whatever - just hope the wheels don't come off at the end of the game.

Love that backrow BTW. The second row is a bit of an area of concern. If our lineout functions well we'll go a long way to winning this.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I like the pack from a continuity standpoint - I think at least six started in the last test against Argentina last year.

God I'd love a win by 13+.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I like the pack from a continuity standpoint - I think at least six started in the last test against Argentina last year.

God I'd love a win by 13+.

For continuity I'd would have been tempted to link Tupou with BPA and Lonergan with Slipper and 7A, but yes. Love the pack.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think this is the best possible backrow package that the Wallabies have been able to name in a number of years, i'm not sure the balance is completely right so it'll be interesting to see the style of game they're told to play.

But Im racking my brain to remember the last time the wallabies had a more complete backrow, noting the additional growth of Wilson and Valetini over the past season.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think this is the best possible backrow package that the Wallabies have been able to name in a number of years, i'm not sure the balance is completely right so it'll be interesting to see the style of game they're told to play.

But Im racking my brain to remember the last time the wallabies had a more complete backrow, noting the additional growth of Wilson and Valetini over the past season.

It’s really thanks to Valetini’s improvement. I’m hoping he can translate it. He was boshing Kiwis in the TT so no reason he shouldn’t. Exciting.