• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If we're talking about the ball being on the halfway or thereabouts, taking the kick for touch isn't likely to get us much inside the 22 unless you take a big risk (in which case going for goal was probably a higher percentage chance).

Hodge probably needs to nail a few more shots though. It would be great to see him hitting a matchwinner from long range.
30 years ago, with a leather ball.
kick it out, win the line out drop a field goal would have been the automatic response.
it’s not even on the table anymore.
what’s changed that made a no brainer, into a no go?

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
30 years ago, with a leather ball.
kick it out, win the line out drop a field goal would have been the automatic response.
it’s not even on the table anymore.
what’s changed that made a no brainer, into a no go?

It would be interesting to know how many match-winning field goals were kicked in that situation.

The reality in most sports is buzzer beaters (to use the basketball phrase) seem far rarer when you go through the stats than people remember.

30 years ago you also didn't know that time was up so in some ways it was a different equation. Taking the drop goal attempt when you know a miss means a loss or a draw is a bit different psychologically and for that reason I think more teams push for another method of scoring.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Not a match comment I know but does anyone else think that the Honey Badger should be on the Stan commentary team? For on the ground interviews he would be fantastic…. Where the hell is he now?

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting one to watch tonight will be the set piece performance, plenty has been written about the dismal wallabies conversion record to scoring tries within the red zone in 2020. If the lineout (Maul included) and scrum can set a very solid platform in the attacking zone under Dan Mckellar's watchful eye, I think this will provide a lot more confidence to start the series well with a dominant performance in this part of the game. We know Slipper and AAA are excellent scrummagers, Nela (particularly) and Bell from the bench will prove a handful. Its now up to the other 5 to be in sync w the front row and work as a unit for the entire 80. Lineout run by Phillips (I Hope) will be strong, BPA throwing is critical to the overall performance and result of this outcome, key area of the game to watch tonight!. Carn the men in Gold!
As long as this hopefully strong platform gets ball to our backs and doesn’t stuff around with the hit it up one off the ruck one too many times….Wright and Koroibete should be getting the ball with some space ….

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What’s the scoop on Rodda? I hear that he is in the country and eligible through being signed with the Force.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If we're talking about the ball being on the halfway or thereabouts, taking the kick for touch isn't likely to get us much inside the 22 unless you take a big risk (in which case going for goal was probably a higher percentage chance).

Hodge probably needs to nail a few more shots though. It would be great to see him hitting a matchwinner from long range.

Banks doesn't seem to have much trouble putting it out 10m from the line from halfway. Hodge has a huge boot but his guidance system seems to have been designed by the US air force.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
G'day Fulla's, first time poster on here. I'm in rural NSW with a good friend of mine who I think some of you may know as Bobby Sands. He's mad as a cut snake but a great fella and genuinly knows his rugby. We're in and around bowral atm and looking for a good rugby pub in the southern highlands or beyond to have a few rums tonight and watch the wallabies smash the frogs. We've heard that this is Gene Fairbanks territory so would be good to bump into that old Easts Tiger. We thought if anyone was to know of a good pub they would be on this forum. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated fella's. Up the Jumbucks!!

The Briars (between Bowral and Mossy) used to make a point of getting the rugby on all the time, had a good feed as well.

In town itself, the Royal tends to be more focused on league, but the Imperial would be a good shout. Plenty of big screens there, though I dunno if they've sorted the Stan subscription issue. It's on GEM and they'd be able to play it for sure. Food is top notch as well, woodfired pizzas etc.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Banks doesn't seem to have much trouble putting it out 10m from the line from halfway. Hodge has a huge boot but his guidance system seems to have been designed by the US air force.

I guessing your knowledge of rugby is ahead of your knowledge of defence. And general GPS that most of us use daily.

Anyhoo.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I guessing your knowledge of rugby is ahead of your knowledge of defence. And general GPS that most of us use daily.

Anyhoo.

My knowledge of GPS systems would be ahead of 99.9% of people - I sell these systems for a job. The US air force reference was a bit tongue in cheek tbf, but they have a considerable history of collateral damage from their weapons systems that were promoted as absolute precision, and then ended up landing in a hospital 500m from their intended target.