• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tate and Tupou best on ground.

Thought Wilson and Hooper were also very good, Valetini not up to his Super standard but the physicality still looked to be there.

Not sure where we are without Marika.

Guys like Hooper, Wilson, Paisami, TT and Marika were all getting over the gain line with ease, pretty much the whole game. That was great. But some low energy from the likes of Banks and Valetini then sets them back and/or causes a mistake.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Guys like Hooper, Wilson, Paisami, TT and Marika were all getting over the gain line with ease, pretty much the whole game. That was great. But some low energy from the likes of Banks and Valetini then sets them back and/or causes a mistake.
Yep, thought Paisami was very good in general.

P

Pokinacha

Vunivalu probably catches Paisami’s kick to Kellaway at the end, just saying
Even just getting a hand to it trying to knock it up in the air and regather. Kellaway just didn’t want it like his Wallaby career back in that day

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
Have to run the ball more, especially early to mid of the second half when the French were giving away a few ruck penalties. Don’t understand kicking the ball away when you’re on the front foot. Very enjoyable physical game, looking forward to the next two.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Was basically our B/C team in terms of backs. No Petaia, Perese, Hodge, O’Connor, Vunivalu etc. That was where all our problems were so not getting too carried away with the pessimism around “that was only France’s B team”.

Maybe the only real sore point for me is that we still suck at the defensive breakdown under Rennie.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
A backline of White, JOC (James O'Connor), Perese, Paisami, with Korobeiti and Vunivalu on the wings and Hodge at FB would be good; along with McDermott, Ikitau and Daugunu on the bench. Only three of that ten played tonight. McDermott has to start while White is out injured.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Never ever again.
Hate to disappoint some of you prone to overreaction but he will- he had an average game but his core skill set is still better than Tate’s and every halfback looks impressive coming on the field on the 60th minute against a tired/ disjointed pack.

Swain, Hooper and Koribete were good- the real disappointment was To’omua; he was invisible during this game and his goodwill must be close to empty at this stage.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hate to disappoint some of you prone to overreaction but he will- he had an average game but his core skill set is still better than Tate’s and every halfback looks impressive coming on the field on the 60th minute against a tired/ disjointed pack.

Swain, Hooper and Koribete were good- the real disappointment was To’omua; he was invisible during this game and his goodwill must be close to empty at this stage.[/quote

Disagree. Gordon's scrum clearance was poor (one occasion led directly to a French try), ruck clearance poor (one a deliberate knock on which thankfully was not penalised - just a scrum awarded and one taking steps leading to a forward pass to Paisami and no try), passing accuracy poor (in general but a couple of howlers), kicking poor, defensive read poor and general decision making poor. He was not even close to average.
. McDermott' s clearances on the other hand were far quicker at the base of rucks and scrums leading to faster phase play allowing the forwards to get over the gain line. That speed difference would have made significant difference early in the game.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
I thought Valentini was the disappointment of the night…. Shows the difference between super rugby and test rugby… hopefully the much maligned Swinton gets the gig in the second test and then whoever delivers gets the nod in the third

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Didn’t think Valentini was as bad as people were calling out. He’ll be better for the run and I’m sure he’ll build on it. Swinton definitely isn’t the answer unless we just want a few extra stupid penalties and cards to go with them.

Think Gordon had a shocker. Lots of chat of Tate not getting the starting nod because of his gaps in kicking but Gordon is arguably worse. Hoping to see Tate start and Lonegan jump on the bench in place of Gordon.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’m not sure what LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)’s trigger is, Thorn managed to pull it a few times obviously for some big games, but the bloke doesn’t seem to have the same amount of ooooopht that he did. By no means one of the worst players on ground, but I’d expect his work in contact to be a bit more dynamic.

If I were a selector I’d be starting Swain next game, dropping LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to the bench and Hope that ignites him. We want him to have the type of go forward Uru was providing for the Reds, and he is capable.