• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby

Women's Rugby

• it's awesome

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • it's awesome but I'm not the target market for this

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • it's rubbish

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I watch it for the spunks

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I can only watch the top level stuff

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Maybe women's rugby can save the whole stupid sport

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • It'll be wild when the transgender blokes turn up for a game haha

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Does GAGR have ANY women members?

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Just Derpus

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Stupid Derpus

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looks like the Aupiki/ SRW cross-over comp could happen sooner rather than later

I saw a report that NZR are planning for a 50%+ increase in the women's game at school & community level, getting another elite comp up will certainly help itr.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Drove past FMG today just as the Aupiki crowd was leaving. Very noticeable that in addition to the usual mum + dad + kid(s) pods there were numerous gaggles of teen girls, almost all of them in Chiefs kit of some description. Of course it helps that their team is killing it right now but I doubt I'd have seen half that number of girls at a women's rugby game prior to WRWC & even in bogan H-town a teen girl in a rugby jersey used to be a rare sight.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Drove past FMG today just as the Aupiki crowd was leaving. Very noticeable that in addition to the usual mum + dad + kid(s) pods there were numerous gaggles of teen girls, almost all of them in Chiefs kit of some description. Of course it helps that their team is killing it right now but I doubt I'd have seen half that number of girls at a women's rugby game prior to WRWC & even in bogan H-town a teen girl in a rugby jersey used to be a rare sight.
Great stuff, have noted increase in engagement at some of the pre season clinics and sign on days on this side of ditch as well WOB.
Aupiki, Super W exposure along with expanded international opportunities are providing visible pathways for young women, a cross over TT comp cannot happen soon enough.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The WFW squad is working hard and appears to have recruited well to fill holes in the team's capabilities.
It will be interesting to see how well the pre-season preparation gets turned into results on the field.
The squad will be tested with 3 Away games before the 2 Home games.

The WFW are being well supported by the franchise:
Claudia Bell - Female High Performance Pathways Manager
Matt Hodgson - Head Coach
Chris Heiberg - Forwards Coach
Dylan Parsons - Fortescue Academy Head Coach/WF Skills Coach

Western Force captain Trilleen Pomare understands the need to deliver as the club looks to lead the way in terms of investment.

Five major signings increase Super W stocks

Force inaugurates first semi-professional Super W Academy

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just thought I would add a positive type post. I live in Hawera and local club Southern has a women's team, but what has pleased me is a little club about 12 kms from Hawera,Okiawa is fielding a Women's team this year. Might not seem much, but Okiawa is a village of 19 houses (I counted) it's rugby club has been going about 126 years, and I sure they got girls from Normanby and Kaponga a couple of villages each side. Anything that gets more people playing our game is a positive to me. Also Normanby (about 5kms from Okie) is also back to fielding a men's team.

Kind of funny thing is I lived on a farm (Kaponga) in about 1962-3 and recall seeing a womans game there and seems that was Kaponga vs Okiawa, so guess it not really new. ;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not new, and probably got set back to a degree by the mens game going pro in the 90s.

Womens is probably one of the few growth areas left in the game in Australasia, and could actually help men's rugby stabilise.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not new, and probably got set back to a degree by the mens game going pro in the 90s.

Womens is probably one of the few growth areas left in the game in Australasia, and could actually help men's rugby stabilise.
Yep was being a bit facestious anyway mate, the woman's game a alluded to in the 60s was only a once a year thing anyway I think.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes agreed the quality of the women's game has risen very quickly - just shows some investment and structure and we'll have a very competitive Wallaroos. I know one of the main sponsors of the NSW team - interesting insights - they still get paid bugger all but as the world cup approaches that will change. Sponsoring women is a pretty safe bed - no domestic violence, shitting in hallways etc. Really pleased to see the Force get up.
I dont think the Fijiana team have dropped off - the Aussie sides have risen.

Though I hear the NRL ( of course) are hovering around offering good money to poach the girls.
absolute grubs that code.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've been to the last two Waratahs Super W games with my daughter. They've both been excellent. The new Concord oval setup is really good with the seating close to the sideline and set up for a smaller capacity which makes sense given its usage.

We met Sharni Williams yesterday which was awesome.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
IMG_0241.jpeg