• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Black Ferns v Australia

Eden Park, Auckland

Saturday 8/10/22 7.15pm NZT

Black Ferns: Renee Holmes, Ruby Tui, Stacey Fluhler, Amy du Plessis, Portia Woodman, Ruahei Demant (c), Kendra Cocksedge, Liana Mikaele-Tu’u, Sarah Hirini, Charmaine McMenamin, Chelsea Bremner, Joanah Ngan-Woo, Amy Rule, Luka Connor, Phillipa Love

Reserves: Georgia Ponsonby, Awhina Tangen-Wainohu, Santo Taumata, Maiakawanakaulani Roos, Kendra Reynolds, Arihiana Marino-Tauhinu, Hazel Tubic, Logo-I-Pulotu Lemapu Atai’i (Sylvia) Brunt

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wallaroos team to play the Black Ferns at Eden Park, Auckland, on Saturday 8 October, 7.15pm NZST / 5.15pm AEST

1. Liz Patu – Queensland Reds

2. Adiana Talakai – New South Wales Waratahs

3. Bridie O'Gorman – New South Wales Waratahs

4. Sera Naiqama – New South Wales Waratahs

5. Atasi Lafai – New South Wales Waratahs

6. Emily Chancellor – New South Wales Waratahs

7. Shannon Parry (C) – Queensland Reds

8. Grace Hamilton – New South Wales Waratahs

9. Iliseva Batibasaga – New South Wales Waratahs

10. Arabella McKenzie – New South Wales Waratahs

11. Ivania Wong – Queensland Reds

12. Sharni Williams – Australian Sevens

13. Georgina Friedrichs – New South Wales Waratahs

14. Bienne Terita – Australian Sevens

15.Pauline Piliae-Rasabale – New South Wales Waratahs

Reserves

16. Ashley Marsters – Melbourne Rebels

17. Emily Robinson – New South Wales Waratahs

18.Eva Karpani – New South Wales Waratahs

19. Michaela Leonard - ACT Brumbies

20. Grace Kemp – ACT Brumbies

21. Layne Morgan – New South Wales Waratahs

22. Trilleen Pomare - Western Force

23. Lori Cramer – New South Wales Waratahs

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ticket sales for opening day have topped 30K & organisers are hopeful that walkups will push it closer to 35K. Even at 30K its comfortably a record crowd for a women's rugby match & close to a record crowd for any women's spots event.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ticket sales for opening day have topped 30K & organisers are hopeful that walkups will push it closer to 35K. Even at 30K its comfortably a record crowd for a women's rugby match & close to a record crowd for any women's spots event.
In New Zealand perhaps?

AFLW GF drew a crowd of 55k a couple of years back, 45k attended Optus Stadium in Perth for an AFLW match as well. Not to mention 91k who attended the UEFA Women's Champions League earlier this year and 55k who attended the FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Still a fantastic figure though

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yeah, I misheard/ misunderstood the piece on tv: biggest crowd in NZ for a women's event (previously FIFA U17 Final) & biggest anywhere for a women's rugby match (previously the WRWC Final last time France hosted).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fun little tidbit is the two rival scrumhalfs for France (and Toulouse), Laure Sansus and Pauline Bourdon, arguably their two best players too, are engaged to be married. Not sure that's ever happened before. It's like if Quade Cooper & Bernard Foley were dating.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Obviously not a love for the women's game is there? I mean just a WC thread and Aussie girls don't deserve their own match thread?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good to see opening day has seemingly sold out anyway, and seems Ferns next game against Wales is almost same. Hope for the sake of women's game we get more of them, though will be fairly hard with all games in one area to sell a lot for neutral games.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Obviously not a love for the women's game is there? I mean just a WC thread and Aussie girls don't deserve their own match thread?

Realistically the best Aus can probably hope for is a SF v either England or France who look so far ahead of the rest inc NZ you'd probably get pretty good odds on anyone else "to make the Final". Hopefully our women can be more competitive than on EOYT but if we make a SF & get within 10 that's a pretty good result for where we're currently at.

Venue-wise I think that was a Covid contingency so that even if everything North of the Bombays went into lockdown mid-comp they could still have a comp albeit played in empty stadiums.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep WOB, probably right about venues, though can understand even trying to keep it in an area to help build it up. Just watching the news and good to see a few supporters arriving from Aus and Fiji etc.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Realistically the best Aus can probably hope for is a SF v either England or France who look so far ahead of the rest inc NZ you'd probably get pretty good odds on anyone else "to make the Final". Hopefully our women can be more competitive than on EOYT but if we make a SF & get within 10 that's a pretty good result for where we're currently at.

Venue-wise I think that was a Covid contingency so that even if everything North of the Bombays went into lockdown mid-comp they could still have a comp albeit played in empty stadiums.

We'll prob end up playing the usa in the 1/4 & even then we wont go in as fav's

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Whilst im excited to watch, sadly i think this RWC is going to expose the gap that exists in International Womens XV, between those countries in the 6Nations who have fulltime professional squads and the rest who don't. The impact of the pillaging of players by AFLW and NRLW is going to show in Wallaroos performance as well i fear.

I'd bet my ass there are a few NRLW scouts watching ready to sign some of those players from Oceania teams to NRLW contracts for next year. It's like 1995 all over again with the impact of league professionalism, yet this time the battleground is womens sports.

Pokinacha

Jim Clark (26)
Since when can a non ball carrier run through the ruck take out defenders and then a ball carrier come after and score a try?

Status
Not open for further replies.