• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thought the ref was against yellow cards given how many penalties NZ gave away and warnings were provided to them in their red zone, but nah. I turned the game off after the two yellow cards, it ruined the game
i wondered if the women's team played under different rules during the game. seems not.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The ref didn't ruin the game with cards. The Wallaroo players made poor decisions which led to the cards being given. Stop blaming the refs when it's the players who make high contact in tackles and make deliberately cynical plays.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
The ref didn't ruin the game with cards. The Wallaroo players made poor decisions which led to the cards being given. Stop blaming the refs when it's the players who make high contact in tackles and make deliberately cynical plays.

a New Zealander talking about cynical play, fantastic, at least you'll know what you're talking about.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Probably the best 30 minutes i've ever seen the Wallaroos play to start the game. They were brilliant.

I thought the officiating was poor both ways.

Aside from the cards I thought the penalty shot at goal that hit the post was another big turning point.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
LOL tried posting link to official Wales v Scotland highlights, got a thumbnail for England v Fiji & the actual vid was NZ v Australia. Hopefully this link leads to the match highlight playlist:

Edit: yeah nah, Italy v USA but if you scroll down the page the others are there.

Also WR (World Rugby) have geoblocked the vids on YouTube which seems rather petty & to get the host broadcaster's vids you have to subscribe to their shitty streaming service. Cnuts can't even stream cricket (comm: what a shot! vision: frozen, bowler still in delivery stride. Me: fuck this shit, not renewing sub) so I can't imagine their rugby coverage is up to much.

Edit: WR (World Rugby) geoblocking appears to have been removed for first two games at least.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was interesting to see how seemingly how much more time the ball was in play compared to a lot of tests we see.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I thought Atasi Lafai was playing well during the game but stats show she made 19 tackles and only missed one. Made a pile of runs too (which don't seem to be recorded in the stats). Thought she was excellent.

Both teams' blindside flankers were superb as well. Woodman and Tui got the plaudits but McMeniman was their primary source of go-forward.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

The things she missed were the issue - and as an Aussie my full disclosure is I'm only going to pick up the things I'm filthy about ;)

Parry ran the ball just after coming back on from her yellow, and copped one in the chops in a seat belt tackle from behhind by BF 19.
Not even a penalty advantage.
Nothing from the AR or TMO.
If you're going to apply the Law, be consistent.

What about at the end of the game "No hands 18!" to a BFs player with one hand clearly on the deck foraging for the ball then "sorry, I spoke too soon" as black 18 scoops the ball off the deck for a team mate to run away. At the next breakdown one of the Wallaroos is penalised for diving on the ball at the back of the ruck.

People have already discussed the BFs getting multiple free swings in their red zone including a knock down. I thought that first 15 minutes was the perfect time to give a YC because it was one-way traffic and infringing was the only way they could stop the bleeding.

Overall, two things stood out from that game:
1) The standard of officiating is well behind the standard of play.
2) The BFs are way fitter than us - we roared for the first 20, but came up short for the other 60.

Ref didn't decide the result, but they didn't help in the slightest in terms of even contest.

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The things she missed were the issue - and as an Aussie my full disclosure is I'm only going to pick up the things I'm filthy about ;)

Parry ran the ball just after coming back on from her yellow, and copped one in the chops in a seat belt tackle from behhind by BF 19.
Not even a penalty advantage.
Nothing from the AR or TMO.
If you're going to apply the Law, be consistent.

What about at the end of the game "No hands 18!" to a BFs player with one hand clearly on the deck foraging for the ball then "sorry, I spoke too soon" as black 18 scoops the ball off the deck for a team mate to run away. At the next breakdown one of the Wallaroos is penalised for diving on the ball at the back of the ruck.

People have already discussed the BFs getting multiple free swings in their red zone including a knock down. I thought that first 15 minutes was the perfect time to give a YC because it was one-way traffic and infringing was the only way they could stop the bleeding.

Overall, two things stood out from that game:
1) The standard of officiating is well behind the standard of play.
2) The BFs are way fitter than us - we roared for the first 20, but came up short for the other 60.

Ref didn't decide the result, but they didn't help in the slightest in terms of even contest.
And yet I thought the ref was VERY lenient on the Wallaroos who consistently fell on the wrong side of the ruck and were very slow to move out. The only time it was penalised was when the the BF half-back passed the ball into the retreating Wallaroo....and even then the ref told her that she could have passed the ball around her?!?

The tackle on Ruby Tui as she scored a try was very close to being a high tackle which would have seen Wong sent off for a 2nd yellow if it was high.

Yes - the 'I spoke too soon' was unfortunate but either way, one team was gonna be wronged there.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I've just gone thru the first half
This just isn't true.

I've just been thru the first half when the Wallaroos were putting all the pressure on and there weren't a whole heaps of BF infringements stopping tries.

2.30 - W penalty while on attack

5:32 - BF pen turn over to W
7:17 BF penalty - no arm tackle advantage called.
7:25 BF penalty. Tackler not rolling away (clearly trying to roll away) Goes back to previous penalty for no arm tackle.
11:52 - BF pen. Off side

12.55 - W try

15.47 - W try

23:29 - W penalty while on attack. Not releasing
24:37 - BF pen after BF knock on. Playing the ball on the ground.
25:50 - Accidental offside not called
26:05 - BF pen. Offside

27:29 - W try

41:13 - W pen. Playing the ball on the ground.

At most there are 3 penalties given before the Wallaroo score tries. So not at point where the Wallaroos were even remotely at a chnace to score - just win possession.

At which point would you given a YC? In the first 15mins you reckon? After just blowing the whistle a second time for a BF penalty (7:25 and 11:52 above) and 2 tries scored to the Wallaroos?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
You didn’t watch the game did you?
I've watched it and I watched the first half twice. Did you watch it?

Australian fans seem to think that refs shouldn't call Wallaby/Wallaroo players for their infringements because it 'ruins the game'. Keep blaming the refs for your mistakes instead of shouldering the responsibility for fuck-ups.....winning strategy.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
. I was amused to hear the ref trying her best to downgrade or mitigate the offence so it could be ruled only as a YC - just pathetic..
This just shows that you don't understand the framework that refs work through when it comes to foul play.....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
General comments on the RWC games I've watched so far:

6N streets ahead of everyone else in terms of structure and accuracy - tho Wales should have been whistled off the park for their shitfuckery at ruck time.

Referees need more game time and coaching. This is always going to be an issue with the fulltime players outnumber the fulltime referees. ARs need to be a little more active as well.

A couple of the weaker nations were doing a bit of step-passing from the base of the ruck and very deep to the first receiver. No wonder they got caught behind the A line so far. Quicker ball from the base - even closer in - would help their attacking. Particularly as they had big bodies to throw at the line.

Liking the lack of TMO in general.

It will be interesting to see the pace of the game at the next RWC in 2025 as more nations adopt professionalism and fulltime support of their womens program.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
25:50 - Accidental offside not called
Glad that you get my point above, because "not called" is the entire premise of my argument i.e.

The things she missed were the issue

Let's see:
02:02 Black 1 off feet playing with the ball not called
(06:30 Ref tells Wallaroos they have to help BFs count at lineout)
07:06 Multiple BFs all with hands on the ground in front of last feet not called
07:14 Repeat the above

07:16 No arms tackle called
07:26 Not rolling - she landed wrong so "clearly trying to roll away" is irrelevant - called
09:01 Black 10 never onside at the tackle not called
09:10 Black 14 clearly playing it on the ground after the tackle not called - knock on

That's the first ten minutes.

So, like I said: things missed.

Probably lucky for the Wallaroos that the very obvious ruck infringements by Black 8 and then 7 at 14:58 were missed, otherwise the resulting play might have not resulted in their second try. Likewise the obvious hand in the ruck from Black 14 at 18:08 followed shortly by Black 12 just flopping around the ruck onto our halfback.

Zero from the ref, and then in a surprising turn of events awards Black 1 a turnover despite her hand clearly being on the deck past the pill at 20:52

The ref didn't determine the outcome by a long stretch - nobody here would say that except Shiggins - but there was enough obvious infringing in the first 10-15 minutes for a warning at the very least, if not a card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.