• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
(And I am fully aware that we could go back and forth like this for eternity, but I felt the need to make my point).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Saturday's matches (all in Whangarei, Northland):

1500 NZDT Scotland v Australia
1730 USA v Japan
2000 France v England

Sunday (Waitakare, West Auckland)

1245 Italy v Canada
1515 Wales v NZ
1745 Fiji v SA

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Glad that you get my point above, because "not called" is the entire premise of my argument i.e.

Let's see:
02:02 Black 1 off feet playing with the ball not called
(06:30 Ref tells Wallaroos they have to help BFs count at lineout)
07:06 Multiple BFs all with hands on the ground in front of last feet not called
07:14 Repeat the above

07:16 No arms tackle called
07:26 Not rolling - she landed wrong so "clearly trying to roll away" is irrelevant - called
09:01 Black 10 never onside at the tackle not called
09:10 Black 14 clearly playing it on the ground after the tackle not called - knock on

That's the first ten minutes.

So, like I said: things missed.

Probably lucky for the Wallaroos that the very obvious ruck infringements by Black 8 and then 7 at 14:58 were missed, otherwise the resulting play might have not resulted in their second try. Likewise the obvious hand in the ruck from Black 14 at 18:08 followed shortly by Black 12 just flopping around the ruck onto our halfback.

Zero from the ref, and then in a surprising turn of events awards Black 1 a turnover despite her hand clearly being on the deck past the pill at 20:52

The ref didn't determine the outcome by a long stretch - nobody here would say that except Shiggins - but there was enough obvious infringing in the first 10-15 minutes for a warning at the very least, if not a card.
First 10mins:

2:17 - W7 is enters ruck from the side and in front of the ruck
2:25 - W8 dangerously lifts BF1 with head first contact to the ground. Possible YC.
3:52 - W4 is on the wrong side of the ruck
4:03 - W1 is on the wrong side of the ruck and makes NO effort to roll away
5:31 - W6 in from the side but WINS a penalty
9:03 - W not releasing when BF7 has rights to the ball

You said:
People have already discussed the BFs getting multiple free swings in their red zone including a knock down. I thought that first 15 minutes was the perfect time to give a YC because it was one-way traffic and infringing was the only way they could stop the bleeding.

I have 6 missed infringements in the first 10 including a possible foul play and you have 5. The Wallaroos scored 3 tries in the first 15mins so I don't know what bleeding was stopped.

You admit that the ref didn't determine the result but like so many others here, you guys go on about the ref as if there is some kind of bias against Australian players. Or as if Australian players are the only ones who don't infringe....

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I must admit I think if we look at this WC, it certainly is a great advert for women's game. Even grumpy old buggers like me are seeing the attraction of the game played by these women/wahine! First I think that it more like the game when it was really good, not dominated by big bash merhants, and seemingly suffocating defence. The players themselves seem to play with a real joy. Almost a different game, you know like rugby and not seemingly looking like league?
I heard a comment on tv that made me notice, look at the girls in the BF/Wall game as the anthems are played, looking up at crowd and unable to suppress the smiles etc at seeing such a big crowd there to watch them. I thinking by the time women's WC hits Aussie shores in 2029 it will be a pretty well followed tournament/sport and teams like Wallaroos will be full professional by then (not sure why RA is waiting until 2025 to do it) and will make it even more even etc. I believe in NZ Wallaroos one of differences was fitness of NZ girls, that come with professionalism I think?

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Don't be ridiculous.

We're suggesting there is a bias toward NZ players
And anyone else who's playing against an Australian team.

Please - don't pretend that the complaints against the ref don't happen when the Wallabies play SA or Eng. Shiggins is by far the worst but he's not alone....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Please - don't pretend that the complaints against the ref don't happen when the Wallabies play SA or Eng. Shiggins is by far the worst but he's not alone....

That pass at the 2007 RWC wasn't forward, BTW.

Look, TBH if you came to an Aussie rugby website and expected anything approaching impartiality, I have a bridge in Crimea to sell you...

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Wallaroos team to play Scotland at Northland Events Centre, Whangarei, on Saturday 15 October, 3:00pm NZST / 1:00pm AEDT

1. Liz Patu – Queensland Reds

2. Adiana Talakai – New South Wales Waratahs

3. Eva Karpani – New South Wales Waratahs

4. Sera Naiqama – New South Wales Waratahs

5. Atasi Lafai – New South Wales Waratahs

6. Emily Chancellor – New South Wales Waratahs

7. Shannon Parry (C) – Queensland Reds

8. Grace Hamilton – New South Wales Waratahs

9. Iliseva Batibasaga – New South Wales Waratahs

10. Arabella McKenzie – New South Wales Waratahs

11. Maya Stewart - New South Wales Waratahs

12. Sharni Williams – Australian Sevens

13. Georgina Friedrichs – New South Wales Waratahs

14. Bienne Terita – Australian Sevens

15. Lori Cramer – New South Wales Waratahs

Reserves

16. Ashley Marsters – Melbourne Rebels

17. Emily Robinson – New South Wales Waratahs

18. Bridie O’Gorman– New South Wales Waratahs

19. Grace Kemp - ACT Brumbies

20. Piper Duck – New South Wales Waratahs

21. Layne Morgan – New South Wales Waratahs

22. Trilleen Pomare - Western Force

23.Pauline Piliae-Rasabale – New South Wales Waratahs

Great recovery by Stewart who did her ACL at the start of this year.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I must admit I think if we look at this WC, it certainly is a great advert for women's game. Even grumpy old buggers like me are seeing the attraction of the game played by these women/wahine! First I think that it more like the game when it was really good, not dominated by big bash merhants, and seemingly suffocating defence. The players themselves seem to play with a real joy. Almost a different game, you know like rugby and not seemingly looking like league?
I heard a comment on tv that made me notice, look at the girls in the BF/Wall game as the anthems are played, looking up at crowd and unable to suppress the smiles etc at seeing such a big crowd there to watch them. I thinking by the time women's WC hits Aussie shores in 2029 it will be a pretty well followed tournament/sport and teams like Wallaroos will be full professional by then (not sure why Rugby Australia is waiting until 2025 to do it) and will make it even more even etc. I believe in NZ Wallaroos one of differences was fitness of NZ girls, that come with professionalism I think?

The style of play is so much more entertaining, it's like watching rugby from 2009 or so. That isn't mean as a criticism either, that's a good thing. The officiating, notwithstanding a few moments, also seems far less pedantic.

Most of the women players are varying levels of semi-professional or totally amateur. Makes you wonder if rugby is viable as a spectacle when the players are getting paid like crazy, are in perfect shape, do nothing but practice rugby and the team has as many coaches as players.

I don't even see the women or players of yesteryear as any less skilled, the modern pro male player just always plays the percentages to a T and the coaching is more intelligent in terms of tactics, particularly on defense.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The style of play is so much more entertaining, it's like watching rugby from 2009 or so. That isn't mean as a criticism either, that's a good thing. The officiating, notwithstanding a few moments, also seems far less pedantic.

Most of the women players are varying levels of semi-professional or totally amateur. Makes you wonder if rugby is viable as a spectacle when the players are getting paid like crazy, are in perfect shape, do nothing but practice rugby and the team has as many coaches as players.

I don't even see the women or players of yesteryear as any less skilled, the modern pro male player just always plays the percentages to a T and the coaching is more intelligent in terms of tactics, particularly on defense.
Yeah makes the idea of only 4 on the bench quite attractive.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Mate nothing wrong with saying it looks like rugby from 2009 or earlier, when we saw our best ruby late 90s until 2010 I reckon, skillwise etc.
As you say the modern game give me the impression we have got it down to the point where players don't do any thinking, every posotion and every play has a certain game plan. Probably not that bad , but women's game (same as lower level men's) seems more about players trying win by holding the ball and executing skills.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IMHO our ball has looked a bit slow in the Tests this year where she's started.

100% agree. Put Bella outside a scrummy with a decent pass and she’s be a lot better off. I think the young Reds half was actually good in this area.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is a good squad - I'd swap Parry and Chancellor, and get P. Duck into the game sooner than later..

Also - get that ball out to Bienne Terita every chance you get!!!
That kid Terita looks good doesn't she? I must admit to never having noticed her before in my very limited viewing of Wallaroos, but there a few not bad players amongst team.

Status
Not open for further replies.