• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the pairing of Foley / Lilo is a pretty decent option, if To'omua is unavailable. From memory that was our 10/12 pairing in our last game against the Blacks and they did a good job that night.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
11. Savea
14. Smith
15. Dagg

didnt Hansen say everyone would get a burl? Dagg's had 3 and hasnt fired a bloody shot!

So Skudder and Jane have a week and a half to get fit and they get a run in Bled 1 & 2 ihomo.

damn shame Skudder got injured when he did, he couldve scorched the turf to shreds by now but we'll never know.

I reckon if he carves up then utility man Slade is fucked. Rememebr when Dagg first "arrived" vs the bokkes and pulled off that murderous first step and go try in the corner? Unignorable. Slade can't do that. Remember when Cullen first arrived looking all of 14-years old? GO WITH THE MURDER HANSEN

cullenvsscotland.gif

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On attack, yes. On defence. I'm still concerned. He looked very much on the weekend like he did against the Lions in 2013.

There was a number of instances where Tomane had multiple players coming at him. I thought he handled those occasions quite well in that he stayed in communication with the cover defence and assisted in shutting the attack down. Had he been as poor as some seem to think, the Argies would have scored on some of those occasions. The fact is they didn't and that can be attributed to the combination of the cover defence and Tomane's positioning when confronted with those multiple attackers.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
There was a number of instances where Tomane had multiple players coming at him. I thought he handled those occasions quite well in that he stayed in communication with the cover defence and assisted in shutting the attack down. Had he been as poor as some seem to think, the Argies would have scored on some of those occasions. The fact is they didn't and that can be attributed to the combination of the cover defence and Tomane's positioning when confronted with those multiple attackers.

Yeah, nah. We have to be honest about his strengths and weaknesses. He's a dynamic attacking player but weak on defensive positioning. If he was as good as you say then he'd be a regular first-picked Wallaby.

Good tackler however.

I'd pick him regardless. I'd be happy with any combination of Tomane, Horne and Speight on the wings. With Folau it's a good enough back three to win a RWC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's interesting that the discussions about wingers are generally leaving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out. It would seem to me that he's the most certain to be picked in the starting XV at the moment. I really can't see Cheika leaving him out.

I think the other wingers are all fighting it out for one spot. I think Beale will be the 23 in most of our matchday 23s moving forward so realistically only one of Horne, Tomane and Speight will play each test. I'd be surprised if Speight waltzes straight into the team for the first Bledisloe. I'm also not sure we'll see much more of Mitchell. Just too many good options.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I agree. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s performances have been good. He's locked in.

I'd rate the remaining wingers as

Mitchell
Speight
Horne
Tomane
JOC (James O'Connor)
Cummins

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
I would still love to see Speight get a run, I reckon he is the better of the brumby wingers in Soup but it always seems to take a few games to step up at test level so it might be too late for him.

Case JOC (James O'Connor) also interests me as I don't think Cheika would have told the media he put him into a training program and then just leave him out of consideration as he could have just left him out for poor form of niggling injuries or whatever and Cheika doesn't strike to me as a guy who has to explain his selections or non selections

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I would still love to see Speight get a run, I reckon he is the better of the brumby wingers in Soup but it always seems to take a few games to step up at test level so it might be too late for him.

Case JOC (James O'Connor) also interests me as I don't think Cheika would have told the media he put him into a training program and then just leave him out of consideration as he could have just left him out for poor form of niggling injuries or whatever and Cheika doesn't strike to me as a guy who has to explain his selections or non selections

I think the correct response to the last sentence (I'm going out on a limb here - it was a doozy) is that JOC (James O'Connor) has to perform.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Last time Skelton played the AB's he was miles too slow and could not keep up and made no impact. He has improved his stamina but Horwill needs to be there to cover for him and possibly even start. Either way Skelton is highly unlikely to play 80mins. Simmons will start.

Last time Skelton played the Highlanders he was miles too slow and could not keep up.

I am not the only kiwi who is hoping Skelton gets a full 80.

I think Cheika would dearly love a hard man in the forwards, like a Brad Thorn or Brodie Retallick. Skelton may get there, but he is not there yet. Though I think he may make it if he can get his fitness and his work rate up. His tendency for cheap shots may be a problem though and will need to be cleaned up, especially at the RWC.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Last time Skelton played the Highlanders he was miles too slow and could not keep up.

I am not the only kiwi who is hoping Skelton gets a full 80.

I agree. Skelton has never been a real impact player against the ABs. They have easily stopped him :oops:

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree. Skelton has never been a real impact player against the ABs. They have easily stopped him :oops:
Wtf? The entire tahs team got pantsed by the highlanders, including chieka, why single out the big willy? Few aussie forwards could claim victory over their darkness.counterparts recently either. He deserves the spot.

Personally I hope it's willy to start and a.rampaging big Kev on for the last 25.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't buy the comments from the Kiwis that they all "hope" Skelton gets picked against the All Blacks. Seems like a bit of reverse psychology to me.
Nearly everybody else seems to agree that he should start.

From memory he's only played a couple of games off the bench in last years Bledisloe. I remember him being pretty poor, but that's not surprising in retrospect. He was very inconsistent last year, and his workrate, cardio and set piece technique were far from the finished product. He's unquestionably improved in those areas this year.

It's also unquestionable the physical impact he makes on the field; an area where we clearly struggle. As the boys on the podcast said last night, you cant use workrate to make up for a lack of players that can get you over the advantage line. The Kiwis know that, and I suspect they would much prefer not to see Skelton on the field.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't buy the comments from the Kiwis that they all "hope" Skelton gets picked against the All Blacks. Seems like a bit of reverse psychology to me.
Nearly everybody else seems to agree that he should start.

From memory he's only played a couple of games off the bench in last years Bledisloe. I remember him being pretty poor, but that's not surprising in retrospect. He was very inconsistent last year, and his workrate, cardio and set piece technique were far from the finished product. He's unquestionably improved in those areas this year.

It's also unquestionable the physical impact he makes on the field; an area where we clearly struggle. As the boys on the podcast said last night, you cant use workrate to make up for a lack of players that can get you over the advantage line. The Kiwis know that, and I suspect they would much prefer not to see Skelton on the field.

He played the last 10 minutes in Bled 1 and 16 minutes in Bled 2. It's unthinkable that he's made a less than resounding impact v NZ. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.