• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

My biggest gripe about people praising some players after the game, is what did they actually do? Yes we ran in a few good tries against a low ranked team. My assessment was we dispatched them pretty much as well as the All Blacks.

But Beale for example. His hand in 2 tries. How many defenders did he commit in order to put a player outside of him in space? Certainly he was able to contribute to a successful sequence of play. But if we are giving credit, was it because of him, or was he just there and anybody else who was there would have?

My point is when you look at the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) try in the Boks test, Cooper appears to commit 2 defenders before passing to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the inside. In order to break down top defenses, you need to be able to commit defenders to create overlaps, not just pass along against inferior opposition. Just for balance so I can't be accused on provincial bias, Foley did the same thing for a Dennis try against the Reds in the last round of Super Rugby.

So back to my point, how many of our tries and try assists on the weekend involved this?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well I guess we play with about 8 players then fatprop.

Mate, it isn't that hard to pick the players who have performed best out of the last the last two tests.

The tactics won't change much, we will play the way we play

The fringes of the forwards will just become minutes; and who starts and who finishes

T

Train Without a Station

Really? Who has excelled at 10? Foley because he was average against a weak team? What about 12? Is Horne a better option than Tomane? Who is our best 8? McCalman was hardly compelling against weaker opposition? Because Skelton performed against a team that has beaten us once since 1997 he's a our best test option? Is Slipper the option to go with? I'd so no but Sio has had struggles. Who is playing better? Holmes or Kepu.

We know Moore, Simmons, Pocock, Phipps, Fardy, Kuridrani and Folau are our best team. None of the others strongly stamped their authority on the Argentina game, or performed quite well against South Africa.

lenny

Stan Wickham (3)
Kia Ora brothers...Interesting conversation about who is best for what. Surely your form guide should be the Super 15 players currently selected. NSW and Brumbies players should dominate selection it's a no brainer. If you think Smith and Nonu are going to play two bad games in a row you've got rocks in your head and I'll bet our scrum is improved for BC 1. Why overthink selections when they select themselves. Cheika should only be trying a few different combinations at this point. I can bet you the Blacks will want to win badly irrespective of who is chosen for the BC but the first one will be a near full strength side with the 2nd BC being a changed side with final picks for the WC being settled on the back of that game. Good luck boys and nice thoughts around Richie he is a very decent human being who happens to be one of the all time greats. The word humble comes to mind with these guys!!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Really? Who has excelled at 10? Foley because he was average against a weak team?

Foley, he played better but straighter, kicked as shit, tackled as shit

What about 12?
To'omua, day light

Is Horne a better option than Tomane?
both should start, they have been the best two , AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the bench

Who is our best 8?
McCalman

Because Skelton performed against a team that has beaten us once since 1997 he's a our best test option?
yep

Is Slipper the option to go with? I'd so no but Sio has had struggles. Who is playing better? Holmes or Kepu.

That is just a minutes decision starting vs finishing

T

Train Without a Station

I think your logic is ludicrous FP. You're saying compare performance against SA and Argentina as like for like. It's not. One almost beat the All Blacks and is ranked 2nd in the world. The other has won 1 of 14 Rugby Championship games.

Foley did not play straight. He ran 45 degrees all night. I'm doubtful he was the cause of it though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think time for playing players into form are over for this game, pick the form team and roll the dice

That's a little hard. Foley's form in general play arguably better then Coopers and goal kicking Coopers was probably a shade better then Foley's.

Whichever side you are on they are pretty damn close on form, none are stand-outs.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Really? Who has excelled at 10? Foley because he was average against a weak team? What about 12? Is Horne a better option than Tomane? Who is our best 8? McCalman was hardly compelling against weaker opposition? Because Skelton performed against a team that has beaten us once since 1997 he's a our best test option? Is Slipper the option to go with? I'd so no but Sio has had struggles. Who is playing better? Holmes or Kepu.

We know Moore, Simmons, Pocock, Phipps, Fardy, Kuridrani and Folau are our best team. None of the others strongly stamped their authority on the Argentina game, or performed quite well against South Africa.

Mumm was fighting hard for Fardy's place (or a place at lock) so even that is questionable. I'd still take Fardy though.

I agree there are a lot of selection options Mostly good ones. Slipper is the biggest question mark IMO.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The main issues as I see them are that Slipper needs a rest, Palu needs some game time, the 10 spot is still very much up in the air but between Foley and Quade with To'omua a roughie, and a dependable tackler/straight runner is required at 12. I am assuming Michael Hooper will escape any sanction for his push on Sanchez.

My selections would then be :

Sio, Moore, Kepu

Simmons, Skelton

Fardy, Pocock, McCalman

Phipps, Cooper

To'omua (or Lealiifano), Kuridrani

Horne, Folau, Speight

Bench

Smith, TPN, Holmes
Horwill, Palu
White, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell.

lenny

Stan Wickham (3)
Pick the best and most mobile front row. Sio, Moore, and Kepu. The form second rowers Skelton and Fardy. Yep he may not play there normally but he solves other more important issues that you blokes aren't seeing. Fardy gives away too many penalties from blindside but is both mobile, tough and skillful more in the Retallick and Whitelock mold. Palu and Higginbottom at No 8 starting Palu (is he injured?) McCalman at blindside and Hooper on the open. Pocock to cover 6 and 7 with Higginbottom to cover No 8 and 2nd row. You have enough weight in Skelton for two teams. Overall your 4&5s are too slow around the paddock. Picking Fardy at 4 fixes that and he's still running at 80 mins. That would worry me more than any of your present issues. The forwards go well the backs will have time and space.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pick the best and most mobile front row. Sio, Moore, and Kepu. The form second rowers Skelton and Fardy. Yep he may not play there normally but he solves other more important issues that you blokes aren't seeing. Fardy gives away too many penalties from blindside but is both mobile, tough and skillful more in the Retallick and Whitelock mold. Palu and Higginbottom at No 8 starting Palu (is he injured?) McCalman at blindside and Hooper on the open. Pocock to cover 6 and 7 with Higginbottom to cover No 8 and 2nd row. You have enough weight in Skelton for two teams. Overall your 4&5s are too slow around the paddock. Picking Fardy at 4 fixes that and he's still running at 80 mins. That would worry me more than any of your present issues. The forwards go well the backs will have time and space.

Fardy and Skelton in the second row? Nice try but we all know what that'll do to our already criticised scrum.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Shag, is that you?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wobs can improve their World Rugby ranking to 2nd with a win & remain there in the (extremely unlikely IMO) event SA then lose to Arg overnight. Even a loss won't see them lose 5th.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I know people get caught up in the world rankings thing, and I do to at times, but really all they are important for is determining pools at the RWC. That horse has bolted so I just want us to win now.

Status
Not open for further replies.