• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Here's my AB team, Crocket over Woodcock from a mobility point. I've assumed Retalick and Nonu are fit, if not Romano and Fekotoa. Dagg at full back as I think Shag will give him one last shakeout, otherwise Piutau in and Smith slipping back to fullback.
1. Crockett
2. Coles
3. Franks
4. Whitelock
5. Retalick
6. Kaino
7. McCaw
8. Read
9. Smith
10. Carter
11. Savea
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Smith
15. Dagg

Pretty hard on Piutau, he had a blinder against SA and Dagg didn't.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know people get caught up in the world rankings thing, and I do to at times, but really all they are important for is determining pools at the RWC. That horse has bolted so I just want us to win now.

True enough but improving from 6th to (likely) 3rd in the Rankings is better than going t'other way, no?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah for sure. I wouldn't care what our ranking is if we won the Bled and the RWC but. But fair chance if we got those two we'd prob grab the número uno spot as a consequence.
That's the thing with the rankings, they are a happy bonus if you're winning. Not necessarily the reason to win (outside of the period leading to RWC pool allocations that is).

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Men, it seems like the sudden emergence of depth has created an unexpected problem. We can't pick anyone, because none are standouts.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I know people get caught up in the world rankings thing, and I do to at times, but really all they are important for is determining pools at the RWC. That horse has bolted so I just want us to win now.

Thankfully winning and the rankings both benefit by us, um, winning!

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Last time Skelton played the AB's he was miles too slow and could not keep up and made no impact. He has improved his stamina but Horwill needs to be there to cover for him and possibly even start. Either way Skelton is highly unlikely to play 80mins. Simmons will start.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Last time Skelton played the "ABs" he smashed them. Crockett, Franks, Taylor, Whitelock, McCaw, Read - part of the Crusaders pack.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As a few others have said, it seems that Cooper was given an extended run at 12 to see if he is an option for anything other than the 10 jersey. At least on that showing, he isn't.

I think Cheika will go with Foley for the first Bledisloe.

It's hard to nail down a side too precisely because Hooper, Fardy, To'omua and Giteau are all questionable in terms of availability. Hopefully Cheika starts Sio this test. Whether Slipper is on the bench is another matter. His injuries are very worrying and it's hard to know what to do. Maybe it's time to give Toby Smith a game off the bench?

I tend to think Simmons and Skelton will start at lock even if Hooper and Pocock are both picked in the starting side. If Fardy is available and Cheika goes down this route I think it will be with Pocock at 8. Palu could certainly figure in this match as well.

Horwill and Mumm look set to battle for one bench spot but I think Horwill will and should take it.

I'd be surprised to see Speight put straight into the starting XV on his return from suspension. Our wingers have been going well. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will remain and Horne will probably reclaim the other wing spot if he has overcome his injury.

I expect to see Beale in the 23 jersey again and think that will remain fairly consistent going forward.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
With Tomane's continued improvement he shows almost as much as Speight in attack anyway. The boy has some extra gas this year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
On attack, yes. On defence... I'm still concerned. He looked very much on the weekend like he did against the Lions in 2013.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Sun Tzu: attack their weaknesses.

What weaknesses? Well, they almost lost on Saturday. I'm sure the Wallabies brainstrust will be busy deconstructing that.

Ironically, one weakness is the scrum. The Boks had it all over them before going for uncontested scrums. We should unrelentingly attack their scrum. Funny things start to happen after ten seconds of pushing. Maybe this time it won't be to us.

There are huge collateral benefits if it works.

Problem is, you're supposed to attack their weakness with your strength, which with our scrum, is a bit like trying to shag a beautiful woman with a semi.

We'd need to be really committed and accurate to pull it off.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
RE our 10-12 pairing, there are a few options but they must be considered as pairs.

Cooper needs To'omua at 12. He's very creative, he needs strike runners to attack gaps, not a second player trying to be the general.
He needs a direct, line straightening 12 who is also a beast in defence. Any playmaking ability is secondary. Lealiifano is similar, if we're talking about him as a 10.

If Foley is the 10, it's gotta be Lealiifano or Giteau at 12.
Foley plays flat and is a bit of a grafter, he's not as elusive/mercurial as someone like Cooper so he doesn't attract the same attention from the defence as Cooper does. To foil that, he needs a more creative 12 so that the defence is not sure who to focus on.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
I think the big selection issue very few people are mentioning is Moore V TPN.
Moore good on line out throwing great around the park, scrummaging not so good.
TPN great in the scrum good around the park, not so good on line out throwing.

Thank G I'm not a selector

Status
Not open for further replies.