• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2010 QLD Club Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Looking forward to Uni v Easts at Bottomley this weekend. I know Uni are stacked with quality players but if Easts can repeat their effort against Brothers on the weekend then who knows? Significant injury toll at Easts with at least two top line forwards and four starting backs out with injury. Great to see Charalambous back, although Mills who stood in for him has been enormous, but Chara brings starch and drive to the pack. Having the skipper Bertini back is also a plus. Both guys were in good form against the Filth.

I thought the backs would struggle last week with Matt Brandon out and Tim Walsh retired, but Jack Mullins went very well at 10 and the rest of the backs followed suit

Given how tight the ladder is, here's hoping for the upset!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Bulldogs did not turn up. Higgers looked short of a run and i suspect that his team mates thought he'd do most of the work. Congrats to the stingers - they certainly pushed themselves for the full 80 minutes. The Dogs should have a big week on the tackle bags.

This leads me to believe Higgers could use a few more games before he get's the Wob call-up. I know it's hard to look good in a beaten team but if he is rushed into the Wob jersey too quickly he could damage his confidence and reputation.

Let's not fuck around and take risks that are unlikely to pay off with the Green and Gold.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
This leads me to believe Higgers could use a few more games before he get's the Wob call-up. I know it's hard to look good in a beaten team but if he is rushed into the Wob jersey too quickly he could damage his confidence and reputation.

Let's not fuck around and take risks that are unlikely to pay off with the Green and Gold.

Really, you should have told Deans that in ooooh about 2007. It's been devalued pretty badly.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Really, you should have told Deans that in ooooh about 2007. It's been devalued pretty badly.

Yes, but the line has to be drawn at a point. It's one thing to cry development 2 or 3 years from a WC year and another 1 year out.

Let's remember Genia was considered a ballsy selection only a year ago.

T

tranquility

Looking forward to Uni v Easts at Bottomley this weekend. I know Uni are stacked with quality players but if Easts can repeat their effort against Brothers on the weekend then who knows? Significant injury toll at Easts with at least two top line forwards and four starting backs out with injury. Great to see Charalambous back, although Mills who stood in for him has been enormous, but Chara brings starch and drive to the pack. Having the skipper Bertini back is also a plus. Both guys were in good form against the Filth.

I thought the backs would struggle last week with Matt Brandon out and Tim Walsh retired, but Jack Mullins went very well at 10 and the rest of the backs followed suit

Chara is the man. If it wasn't for a couple of bad injuries he would be playing super 14 by now. Terribly, terribly unlucky footballer and it is such a shame because he is such a top bloke.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
The Premier Comp is going to miss Geoff Acton who is retiring from refereeing this weekend. Over 100 Premier appointments & 16 years refereeing. That sort of experience will be hard to replace. I know a lot of the players liked the way he went about his work.
Well done Acto!

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)

Good to see the filth get beat again last week. An honourable draw would please both of us this week Spectator. Your flying winger back yet ? and don't forget the match report ( LOL ) - As it happens and as you see it and not what you might think I'd like to hear. If he has a stinker - I want to know!!

Hope its a really good entertaining game and may the best team win ( Oh so British !! )

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well, it's evident why Uni sits comfortably at the top of the Premier table. Just too much class in the team. Went out to Bottomley to watch the Tigers take them on, and whilst the Tigers were brave and took it to Uni for a good part of the game, the size of the Uni forwards and the class of their backs won out in the end. 10-3 at halftime to Uni after a late try against the run of play just before the hooter, 13- 10 with about 25 minutes to go, and a final scoreline of 37 - 15.

Uni's forwards are probably the the best in the comp. Awesome frontrow with Laurie Weeks at prop and Stephen Moore making a cameo, big tall locks and former Easts boy Preocanin at Number 8. The usual hooker (and captain) James Hanson was at the side of the scrum this game and went well there. Good lineout, good scrum, and good in broken play, no real weakness anywhere. The Easts forwards certainly gave it to them and there were some big collisions but in the end got worn down. I mentioned Charalambous last week. He was enormous again, really fires up. Eddie Quirk also deserves a mention. Did not take a backward step and had a mighty game in both defence and attack. Given his youth, he will be bloody good fo the Reds in years to come.

The Easts backs were valiant and did some good things. I thought Jordie Tuapou playing at 13 had a great game considering he is usually a forward, and Skelton at 12 is one brave rooster. Got smashed a couple of times but kept coming back for more. The smallish 10-12-13 combo for Easts had their hands full all day. For Uni, Lance at 12 was outstanding in the backs. Controls a game very well, had a few good runs, kicked intelligently and tackles well. Prior, the reserve Aus U20 half was at 10, and Morahan at 13, so some real class in the backs.

The scoreline was probably a little unfair to Easts, but a well deserved win to Uni.

O

Overseer

I thought Jordie Tuapou playing at 13 had a great game considering he is usually a forward, .
Yes while Jordie has played in the forwards till now the NTS see his long term future in the centres. He is too small to make an impact as a loose forward but has great attributes for a 12.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
On the Coast, Norths effortlessly skipped out 13-0 after ten minutes and it looked like a cricket score was in store. Breakers tightened up their defence and using their big pack fought back with plent of scrum turnovers and 20 points of their own. With 10 to go it was 20-18. Norths missed 2 shots at penalty goal in the last 2 minutes to win after Breakers infringed (as they did most of the evening). Will Genia as expected showed his class at halfback.

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well, it's evident why Uni sits comfortably at the top of the Premier table. Just too much class in the team. Went out to Bottomley to watch the Tigers take them on, and whilst the Tigers were brave and took it to Uni for a good part of the game, the size of the Uni forwards and the class of their backs won out in the end. 10-3 at halftime to Uni after a late try against the run of play just before the hooter, 13- 10 with about 25 minutes to go, and a final scoreline of 37 - 15.

Uni's forwards are probably the the best in the comp. Awesome frontrow with Laurie Weeks at prop and Stephen Moore making a cameo, big tall locks and former Easts boy Preocanin at Number 8. The usual hooker (and captain) James Hanson was at the side of the scrum this game and went well there. Good lineout, good scrum, and good in broken play, no real weakness anywhere. The Easts forwards certainly gave it to them and there were some big collisions but in the end got worn down. I mentioned Charalambous last week. He was enormous again, really fires up. Eddie Quirk also deserves a mention. Did not take a backward step and had a mighty game in both defence and attack. Given his youth, he will be bloody good fo the Reds in years to come.

The Easts backs were valiant and did some good things. I thought Jordie Tuapou playing at 13 had a great game considering he is usually a forward, and Skelton at 12 is one brave rooster. Got smashed a couple of times but kept coming back for more. The smallish 10-12-13 combo for Easts had their hands full all day. For Uni, Lance at 12 was outstanding in the backs. Controls a game very well, had a few good runs, kicked intelligently and tackles well. Prior, the reserve Aus U20 half was at 10, and Morahan at 13, so some real class in the backs.

The scoreline was probably a little unfair to Easts, but a well deserved win to Uni.

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry forgot to write before posting.

Spectator - Many thanks for the match report - Much appreciated from far away. Worse bit for me was the result knocking Easts out of the top 4 - I trust and hope they'll be back in there pretty soon.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well things are certainly heating up at the business end of the season. Uni are safe, and Sunnybank near as damn. Souths are pretty close, but anyone out of Brothers, Suncoast, GPS and Easts could nab the fourth spot.

Been a great back end of the season from GPS to come into late consideration. Only big names they have are Hynes and Tomiki but they haven't had much game time. Easts have been cruelled by injury to too many key players, but they are a gutsy bunch so can't be written off. If they don't get there I would like to see SunCoast get there for the first time. Have watched them a couple of times and they can play some pretty good footy. Brothers will probably be the frontrunner of this group but they have been surprisingly inconsistent this year.

Might watch Brothers v Norths weekend.

S

saulih

Would love to hear from anyone going to the Sunny plays Sunny game. My nephew plays LHP for the Rays and would love to hear how he is doing. He tells me precious little.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Great to see Uni rap up the Minor Premiership last weekend. It would be great if they could go through the year with just one loss and a draw. Sunnybank away in the last round will be a big game as the Dragons will be very keen to hit the finals in some form.
Mick Heenan has done an outstanding job since taking over the students. They started to find some form in the second round last year and have continued it this year.

D

Doc

Uni would have won the comp last year had they made the finals. I can't recall a team having such a dominant season eg 1 loss.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
sunnybank '04 - '05 - '06 perhaps, when they had rodzilla in their front row and their flanker james sua scored more tries in a season than some teams could muster as a group!
not sure what year it was but they even won a G/F by about 70 points against gold coast.

you could even make the argument for the canberra vikings too when they were around, they pumped just about every team and teams had the unfortunate honour of going down to canberra and getting frozen and then flogged than back to brissie...

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
and no uni were absolute nuffies last year and had absolutely nothing going for them... and benefit this year from some excellent recruitment and hard work put in by their coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.