• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Australia vs New Zealand - 20 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

What2040

am over Digby - ball security horrible. Great try on weekend but anybody running that line would have scored
everyone (well a lot) have always talked him up - he needs to be held accountable for his inadequacies - just like Beale was. Look at Beale now - great !!!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The last two tests have definitely been Digby's two worst of the season.

I can't see him being dropped unless his knee injury is causing him trouble.

If Shipperley and Cummins are both healthy and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) are back, it will be interesting to see who plays.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Here is the side I would pick, provided AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) and Moore are fit:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Timani
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Samo
9. Phipps
10. Beale
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Cummins
15. Harris

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Dennis
19. Gill
20. Sheehan
21. Tapuai
22. JOC (James O'Connor)

The forward pack picks itself by and large, with the exception of loosehead. As for the backs, I don't think Harris is a great fullback but we really need his kicking. Otherwise I'd have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 and Taps at 13.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We need a goal kicker but we also need a fullback that can catch! AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 and Cummins at 14 would strengthen our high ball taking, but we would need to rely on Beale for goal kicking.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The other solution is to drop the apparently undroppable McCabe and move Harris there.

D

daz

I was going to suggest we use this test to blood some young 'uns and play with some combo's for the EOYT.

Then I remembered that I am probably the only male over 18 in Oz that has not had a call-up yet.

What's your problem, Robbie? Does a middle aged, over-weight, and incredibly slow runner with limited ball handling skills and a fear of crunching tackles not get a fair go in this country?

I thought rugby was a game for all body shapes, even those that may need an oxy-viva at the 3 minute mark and potentially suffer cardiac arrest at the 7 minute mark. I want my Wallabies jumper and a story for the grand kids, dammit!

:D

W

What2040

would prefer Sheehan, Phipps is just not up to standard. Passes on weekend were shit. Sheehan has that absolute mongrel, take no prisoners kind of attitude - which I like

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It would have made precisely zero difference. Both are halfbacks not quite up to international standard. Both have erratic passing games, but I would argue Phipps's is slightly less erratic. People have short memories- Sheehan had some absolutely abysmal games for the Force this year. Phipps wasn't much better, but he was better.

Reactions: daz

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If you don't think he is up to speed at 15, then you don't pick him.
Let Beale kick if that's the case.

He wasn't good enough at 15 for the reds, how can he be selected there for the wallabies.

I don't think he is far off McCabe at 12 though, so if we are desperate for his kicking then he has to play in that position.

T

tranquility

It's not just his goal kicking either, his restarts and in-game kicking is top notch too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Personally I'd be bringing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back at fullback and letting Beale kick for goal.

JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench provides the backup (Harris if JOC (James O'Connor) still isn't fit).

Harris' penalty from the sideline was the only difficult kick that Beale might have missed. Whilst Beale missed the gettable long range kick, Harris doesn't have the range to kick those. The one at the end of the game that Beale missed was realistically outside both their comfortable ranges.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought Phipps had a good game on the weekend. He was at the breakdown quickly the majority of the time and fed quick ball to the forward runners. We play a much quicker style of play with him there as opposed to Genia and I think it suits the team more. Ideally Genia will notice how much better we look with quick ball and stop slowing down play at the back of the ruck when he returns (the 5 second rule will help this too).

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
The last two tests have definitely been Digby's two worst of the season.

I can't see him being dropped unless his knee injury is causing him trouble.

If Shipperley and Cummins are both healthy and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) are back, it will be interesting to see who plays.

It can be argued that Digby Ioane has had a less than stellar year all together. Sure he works hard and gains a few metres but he is the best of an average lot of options (currently). He is very rarely ever put in space and most defences have had him shackled comprehensively. Three tries all year is almost Lote Tuqiri material.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
So. who is going?

Nup, way too expensive for me this time around. Especially considering I just picked up gold class tickets for the 1st day of the cricket test against the Saffas for $55 for a whole days entertainment. At $90 odd for the cheap seats at Suncorp I just can't justify it in this poor economic climate.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
It can be argued that Digby Ioane has had a less than stellar year all together. Sure he works hard and gains a few metres but he is the best of an average lot of options (currently). He is very rarely ever put in space and most defences have had him shackled comprehensively. Three tries all year is almost Lote Tuqiri material.

The pressure he creates on the inside pass should be opening up gaps elsewhere, we're not finding them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.