• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't often disagree with Lee but I was impressed with Lucas. His passing was fantastic and he continually got front foot ball.

Fair enough to have a difference of opinion. I liked the fact that he was passing flat to where he passed the ball from (and sometimes over-flat and getting away with some slightly forward). Thereby the ball was presented in front of the receiver most of the time and not at them as many Super scrummies do. That meant they had to be running flat out to catch the ball.

But I'd like to see him clear with less delay and with flatter passes in the vertical sense (not so lobby), if you know what I mean. This didn't affect his side so much because his forwards earned good front foot ball and the receivers had all kinds of space, but those who saw him at Weigall playing for the Oz U/19 team v the England U/18s at Weigall last year will know what I mean.

There was precious little front foot ball that day and he struggled to clear the pill with the young Poms in his face, sometimes literally, because of his technique. His receivers were swamped. As soon as he was replaced by Donlan everything changed, but it was too late.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I turned off the Arg v France game at half time last night and watched the 2nd half today. Geez they recovered well in the 2nd half when their reserves came on after looking nothing much in the 1st.

France didn't really hit their straps until they realised they could lose but the Argies hung on and finished the game threatening another try.

But like Oz - their goal kicking was not stellar.

The Oz front row which started against Scotland should do OK against either side, though the Oz Schools players from 2011 could have a bit of a problem.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Now you know why I was up in arms about Benn Melrose's selection - he was anonymous. Can you imagine him up against someone like Billy Vunipola??

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The heartening thing for me out of that match was Aus had it won in the first 30 minutes, but never took their foot off the throat. That bodes well. Good teams put lesser teams to the sword.

The other great thing was the first half scrummaging. Fairly equal size packs, but like Lee said, in the first half there were no dirty tricks, just good old fashion scrummaging with the flankers actually contributing, allowing the Props to get a straight forward shove on and just crushing the Scots.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Big Holloway looked pretty good in the forwards for mine. Quite mobile, made many strong runs. As did young Curtis Browning.

He was extremely good wasn't he. He won't be playing 2nd row professionally though, he's listed at 195cm so no doubt he's low 190s in reality.

I have no problem with us picking out strongest possible U20 side but to have a future he won't be a lock.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Does anyone know if video highlights of any of the games will be posted online? I can't find a single mention of the results on Foxsports, let alone footage. Great way to be supporting Oz youth rugby :mad:

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I was very impressed by Argentina, they have shown an ability to blood quality U20 talent beating France who (after England) are probably in the best situation for U20s as they have many fully professional contracts available at that young age.

If Argentina puts the last piece of the puzzle in place, a couple of fully professional teams completing in a fully professional league (be in Super Rugby or otherwise) then they'll be a consistant top 5 rugby nation. I honestly believe that the key to being a consistently good test nation is taking control of your own destiny (i.e. having your players contracted and developing professionally within your systems).

On a side note, maybe we should make a separate thread for discussion of TV coverage?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What a disappointed performance by the Bokkies. Dawie Theron and Brendon Venter looked like gathering that match 15 for the first time before kick off. Sorry to see Ginga totally lost in that bunch of dose. The Brute scrummy looked totally out of his league. Congrats to the Irish tho, they played well and deserve their victory. Cant see our lot getting back from this thrashing.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
What a disappointed performance by the Bokkies. Dawie Theron and Brendon Venter looked like gathering that match 15 for the first time before kick off. Sorry to see Ginga totally lost in that bunch of dose. The Brute scrummy looked totally out of his league. Congrats to the Irish tho, they played well and deserve their victory. Cant see our lot getting back from this thrashing.

Huge upset! I didn't think anyone in this tournament was going to come close to the Bokkies. I still think they will win it though

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Huge upset! I didn't think anyone in this tournament was going to come close to the Bokkies. I still think they will win it though
You have more hope then me. o_O Pretty disappointing stuff, cant see them anywhere near the top teams and I wish I can put my finger on it. SA have by far the best schoolboy level rugby and something is terribly wrong from there to U20 level. We now have a Varsity U20 competition , a CC U19 competition to prepare these schoolboys for this tournament and yet Sauls and Theron farked it heavily.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I might be wrong but I was under the impression that this Bokke team had the most professional players in their squad?

there's only 1 super 15 player there, a lot of the English guys have already played Premiership rugby and all of them are signed to a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom