• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 4 Game 2 Australia vs Argentina - 15 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 4 Game 2 between ARG and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • Los Pumas – Argentina

Votes: 16 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't post a lot because this seems to be a closed mates forum. the last time i started a thread was to raise concerns about the Brumbies last game against the Blues and I was ridiculed as a twat by most of the forum.

Mate I just went back and read that thread and no-one called you anything. Seems you were reading a bit too much into the criticisms of the Brumbies form.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It was quite annoying to hear how often in the media it was mentioned that Barnes has never played 15 before. Well he has, played something like 5 games at fullback for Sydney Uni. He went very well there.

I hate to point out the obvious but going well there at grade is a little different from going well there at super rugby and even more for test matches!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The other Barnes (Wayne) will have the biggest impact on the game, and it should be a positive one from the wallaby point of view. He tends to keep the rucks pretty clear which leads to a faster game and will suit the wallabies more than the Pumas.

Reactions: BDA

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't post a lot because this seems to be a closed mates forum. the last time i started a thread was to raise concerns about the Brumbies last game against the Blues and I was ridiculed as a twat by most of the forum.

All i want to gently sugest is that perhaps the walls have problems with support play, which fixes continuity, I wish them the best.

I'm waiting to see whether this is a real rugby forum or a sydney bullies page

Numbertwo, some members probably do prefer to read posts which compliment their own, whilst others just like to 'have a blue', however, those of us who don't have egos which need "massaging" will continue to contribute our views on subjects we feel we know something about, or which will add to the discussion. We expect our players to "go the distance", so you should hang in there too!

As Melbourne Rebels Chairman, Harold Mitchell said on ABC News24 "Contact Sport" program this morning: "Nobody is an expert on everything, and outside their field of expertise they only offer OPINION".
A very impressive man, and a great interview with Paul Kennedy, which included some bloke named Adam Frier!!

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)

All i want to gently sugest is that perhaps the walls have problems with support play, which fixes continuity, I wish them the best.

I'm waiting to see whether this is a real rugby forum or a sydney bullies page

No worries Numbertwo, the fact that you support the Brumbies is an indication of your sound judgement and understanding about good rugby!

Ignore overbearing trolls if you come across one, and move on to the good posts, there's quite a few.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
No worries Numbertwo, the fact that you support the Brumbies is an indication of your sound judgement and understanding about good rugby!

Ignore overbearing trolls if you come across one, and move on to the good posts, there's quite a few.

Well said, Ghibli!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hate to point out the obvious but going well there at grade is a little different from going well there at super rugby and even more for test matches!

Why? We already know Barnes is capable of performing at the highest level. A positional change would only test his experience in that position, ie. positioning on defense, high ball etc.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Don't ignore them. Report them.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Weather update from the Gold Coast:
A magic day, 19c now (with wind from the south @ 20kph), rising to 22c, then dropping to 17c at 6pm and 14c by 9pm!
Those of us in SEQ have "done our bit" by delivering one of nature's perfect days/nights, so it's up to the lads, plus Captain Sharpe, Mr Deanes, Ref Barnes, the ARs and the VMO not to f#*k it up!

Tonight Mrs Doug and I will drive (10 mins) to Varsity Lakes Train Station, take the (free) 3-minute trip to Robina station then a 10 minute walk to Skilled Park! Life can be pretty good up here!!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Why? We already know Barnes is capable of performing at the highest level. A positional change would only test his experience in that position, ie. positioning on defense, high ball etc.

Firstly, he hasn't been performing all that well lately at the highest level. Secondly 5 games in one position at grade level could hardly be determined enough experience for a test match.

If tpn played 5 games at no. 8 in first grade would you be happy for him to be selected in that position for the wallabies?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And if you can't see any difference in being able to perform in a new position at the highest level when your only experience in it is two levels down, then I give up!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Firstly, he hasn't been performing all that well lately at the highest level. Secondly 5 games in one position at grade level could hardly be determined enough experience for a test match.

If tpn played 5 games at no. 8 in first grade would you be happy for him to be selected in that position for the wallabies?

That's a ridiculous comparison. Moving from 10/12 to 15 is not that big of a deal at all. He'll handle it fine.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Wallabies had better watch the maul drive of the Argies from the lineout because Barnes will ping any swimming around the perimeter by the likes of Sharpie. Owens was strict on it last week in Perth and the the visitors will be looking for Barnes to keep the Aussies honest doing something they are not good at: defending the maul.

But they will have their own problem with Barnes. He knows the individuals well. LHP Roncero is spectacular for his cheating play and in France it is not easy to shine in that area. In the Top14 some of the others push the envelope more than we are used to here because it's more like Rafferty's Rules they play under, not IRB Laws. And the referees are expected to favour the home team; so the players know they can get away with stuff every 2nd week.

And they expect that treatment at home in Argentina too and play to it.

They can get into the habit of it and it came out against NZ last week when things did not go their way - boofhead infringements. I expect Barnes to stay strong though: he's a bloody minded ref who doesn't mind being unpopular.

I would mind his refereeing the game in Argentina instead of here.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That's a ridiculous comparison. Moving from 10/12 to 15 is not that big of a deal at all. He'll handle it fine.

I saw Barnes play there on his injury comeback last year for Sydney Uni and technically he was OK. I think that JMH will test him out with kicks that make him uncomfortable though. Let's see how he does it at this level and not forget that he was our best player against Wales. He can play but if he tries any more of those dribbly kicks on attack he deserves a kick up the ring.

It's odd that Oz rugby doesn't have any elite takers of the high ball, nor long kickers, nor left footed ones who are otherwise good enough to play test rugby. And it's also weird that our best high ball taker was our injured scrummie, the Genias.

I think that Higginbotham has confirmed, at least for the time being, that his niche is as an impact player from the bench.

Am looking for another Samo exhibition tonight. I waffle on about the need for players who can play big and hope they can fulfil their technical requirement second. The old fella and Timani are in that mould. With Timani crocked I hope that Douglas can prove himself in this hard bastard category also whilst clocking up participations.

Good luck to young Phipps. He had an up and down, and up again Super season and has played little rugby recently. With White having his shoulder operation and Genias injured he is presented with this corridor of opportunity. This happens to many promising players in their careers and for some the chance is so important that they bottle it. Lets all wish him well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Well you think I make a ridiculous comparison and I think you are making a ludicrous statement that 5 games at far inferior level is good enough to know he will go well at 15 for the wallabies.

Barnes would struggle to make the first xv as a 15 in any of super teams yet you are happy for him to be selected there for the wallabies? Test rugby should not be used for positional experimentation.

W

Waylon

Barnes is a professional and in the course of a game when he has played 10, he is often seen at the back to cover when a fullback may have chased a kick etc. The position won't intimidate him.

He will have to take high balls under a lot of pressure

I don't think he has the pace and elsuiveness to play 15. His selection at 15 was dumb dumb dumb

Think of the kiwi fullbacks over the last 20 years.........pace, elusiveness, a genuine threat every time they touch the ball.......you can't kick to them because they will counter and cut you to ribbons..........Cullen, Muliana (sp) now Israel Dag. They are lethal. They score tries. They terrify defences.

Australia needs one. Beale is too fat. Beale is a 10 and always was. Barnes is a 10

It's time the wallabies picked a back 3 that has pace and elusiveness. Ioane and Shipps is a good selection but barnes at 15 doesn't work. He doesn't have express pace.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't expect Barnes will play a Beale or Latham style 15, and it would be crazy to think he would. He'll play a link role more, I would guess, and with Shipperley and Ioane next to him, it might work well. When he played there last year for Sydney Uni, he didn't carve backlines apart, but ran it straight and released other players. He actually kicked better from there also, perhaps having more time and getting greater vision of the field, rather than being rushed under pressure, which is where he seems to struggle.
But he will get a fair old test from on high.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well if the bus ride in is anything to go by, the Argie fans are going to make a hell of a lot more noise than the Wallabies supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.