• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 All things Referee thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spooony

WOW! I would have to say that is the first bok supporter that I have said that. Thanks.
70 percent ball and lost the game. They tried something different other than running into brick walls that was throwing the ball from right to left and vice versa then ran into a brick wall.

Not there is anything wrong with throwing the ball around but you need to attack the game line everytime otherwise you will drift sideways without purpose. Further Snor could not work it out. It takes a cleaner, 2 guards and a half back to win a ball where the defence commit only the tackler so you end up with 10 atttackers vs 14 fanned out defenders. Not much of a chance scoring throwing the ball then if you lack the numbers

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
WOW! I would have to say that is the first bok supporter that I have said that. Thanks.
Pretty sure Paarl said it right after the game. They're not all bad ;)

As for Bryce, was the white card in the Tahs/Rebs the first time we've seen it used? They definitely made it count.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interestingly, in the two games Mark Lawrence refereed there was a try in the first 10 minutes in the first one, hasn't been one since in 150 minutes of rugby... I said it was a shame that he wasn't apart of the WC and now I'm wondering if that was actually the right decision.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Wouldn't that reflect more on the captains' decisions than him? Do you think he's being too strict or something?

I reckon he's been alright in most aspects (and in the top 3 refs so far). Probably too strict on the "off your feet" calls, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is encouraged because everyone seems to be doing it for some reason.

HKTiger

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thought Mark Lawrence was very good. Set his cart out early of what was and was not allowed and then allowed both teams to play to it. I reckon he man manages well.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Lawrence (M) has been too pedantic for mine. Both games have been dour slogfests with both sides struggling for continuity. This isn't entirely the refs fault but his high penalty count doesn't help.

I have been quite impressed with the work of Jaco Peyper, and I think he has been the standout ref of the last few weeks.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Lawrence is only follow SANZAR's directive. And he's been pretty right. So player should start to support their body weight.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Lawrence (M) has been too pedantic for mine. Both games have been dour slogfests with both sides struggling for continuity. This isn't entirely the refs fault but his high penalty count doesn't help.

I have been quite impressed with the work of Jaco Peyper, and I think he has been the standout ref of the last few weeks.
From what I saw of the H'Landers v 'Saders Peyper was pretty good but i gather there some controversy at the end I havent caught up with

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This is always a funny one. The controversy is most likely about a scrum turnover after 80mins, and if it results in the end of a game.

The laws can be interpreted to say both. It definitely leans towards ending the game, but there is a good argument to say ending the game goes against common sense (and that the rules don't in fact state an opinion on ending the game).

I'd love to know what the IRB's official stance is. My gut feeling says Peyper's decision is the official interpretation but will need to do some digging first.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Interestingly, in the two games Mark Lawrence refereed there was a try in the first 10 minutes in the first one, hasn't been one since in 150 minutes of rugby... I said it was a shame that he wasn't apart of the WC and now I'm wondering if that was actually the right decision.
I really rate Mark Lawrence and the ref I'd pick if I had to pick one to ref a rugby match. Most of the mistakes he makes is not about favouring one team or the home team but more about trying his best to let the game flow and most dont understand the advantage laws that well. Mistakes there will always be but his player management by far the best of any ref in world rugby. He have this comminucation method thats second to none and always a treat listening to his remarks.

On the other side I was most disappointed with Joubert in Osfontein. He reffed two sets of rules for the two teams.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
This is always a funny one. The controversy is most likely about a scrum turnover after 80mins, and if it results in the end of a game.

The laws can be interpreted to say both. It definitely leans towards ending the game, but there is a good argument to say ending the game goes against common sense (and that the rules don't in fact state an opinion on ending the game).

I'd love to know what the IRB's official stance is. My gut feeling says Peyper's decision is the official interpretation but will need to do some digging first.
He got that spot on. The first scrum (Highlanders feed) was awarded before time was up, this "ended" through a turnover occurring.
The 2nd scrum (Crusaders feed) was awarded after time was up so it's the end of the game.

It's a tough break but it's correct in law.

HKTiger

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm with you Pb. Given what you can hear over the teeve, ML has the best direction to the players on the ground of all the refs. The fact that the players/teams/gameplans can't play to his unambiguous definitions of the laws is not to ML's detriments but the clubs/players/teams/gameplans. Maybe if more refs were as clear and to a degree as pedantic as ML then teams/gameplans would adapt and we would see better rugby overall. That's why I always liked Stuart Dickinson as well. As pedantic as they came early on but he had a clear vision of what the ruck should be and reffed to that.

Given that we've only had a ref school this year to try and get consistency from the refs and focus on the ares to be reffed (the scrum and tackle and ruck) it's probably not surprising we have inconsistency. So I gotta ask, What the fuck have the IRB and POB been doing for the past 4 yearrs ?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He got that spot on. The first scrum (Highlanders feed) was awarded before time was up, this "ended" through a turnover occurring.
The 2nd scrum (Crusaders feed) was awarded after time was up so it's the end of the game.

It's a tough break but it's correct in law.

Sounds right to me - evidently someone from the 'saders thought differently as he seemed to "rush" toward the ref straight after the whistle

(e) If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an option to the non-infringing team, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It just depends whether a turnover scrum feed is considered a scrum reset, or a new scrum. The terminology in law 20 says the ref must order a "new scrum" (I doubt it was written with law 5 in mind), but anyway, they seem to go with that.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
It just depends whether a turnover scrum feed is considered a scrum reset, or a new scrum. The terminology in law 20 says the ref must order a "new scrum" (I doubt it was written with law 5 in mind), but anyway, they seem to go with that.
It's treated as a new scrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.