• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 SA Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
There's no reason to think the Bulls pack will be weak this year. It will be more or less the same front row and more or less the same back row. The 2nd row might be slightly weaker, but they have some decent young players coming through..Flip van der Merwe, Juandre Kruger, Wilhelm Steenkamp. I can't see them changing their tactics too much from previous years.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Yes you are reading correctly and yes he has played there before. I believe he might have started his career at half and in fact played his first few tests for France at half. Since then he has rotated between half and flyhalf at different stages...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
There's no reason to think the Bulls pack will be weak this year. It will be more or less the same front row and more or less the same back row. The 2nd row might be slightly weaker, but they have some decent young players coming through..Flip van der Merwe, Juandre Kruger, Wilhelm Steenkamp. I can't see them changing their tactics too much from previous years.
They'll also have Matfield as coach.

Sharks news
New era for Plumtree's Sharks

2012-02-21 21:16
Email | Print

653a664a0be84a6aac09f6fb21d1c1a0.jpg

John Plumtree (Gallo Images)

Durban - Sharks coach John Plumtree says his players are ready to begin a "new era" in the franchise's history when they kick-off the new Super Rugby campaign later this week.
The Durban union has lost several of its stalwarts with captain John Smit, as well as veteran backs Stefan Terblanche and Adrian Jacobs, leaving.
The mantle has now been passed on to the next generation with Plumtree agreeing it was a fresh start for everyone.
"It's definitely [a new era now]," Plumtree said on Tuesday.
"That happens naturally, there’s always that transition. Certainly if you look at our camp, you see players that have been groomed by those senior players that have left. The tradition’s the same with us. It’s just the baton that gets handed over to other players to lead."
The Sharks boss paid homage to the new leaders of his group, captain Keegan Daniel and his deputy Bismarck du Plessis.
"I must say that Keegan and Bismarck in particular have really taken to it and the rest of the players are pitching in and helping out. It’s making my job easier as well, which is great."
The Sharks play three-time winners, the Bulls, in their campaign opener at Loftus Versfeld on Friday - a match Plumtree expected to be "just as difficult as it may have been in the past", despite the Pretoria outfit themselves losing many key figures.
"They have got some really nice backs and have recruited well. I’m sure they’ll play with some width when they get that opportunity and that fast ball that we see from them.
"There’ll be a lot of collisions to look out for around the rucks and a lot of driving mauls to look after. I’m sure they’ll try and wear us out up front, so we’ve got to be up for that."
Plumtree refused to divulge too much of what his team would look like, but gave a strong indication that Springbok winger JP Pietersen will debut at outside centre. The match squad is set to be named on Wednesday.
"All I can say is that I’m really excited about JP in the midfield," he said.
Another Bok wide-man, Odwa Ndungane, is likely to miss out due to a shoulder problem, while two unnamed backs have minor injuries.
Plumtree added that he expected several injuries in what is an extended competition compared to previous seasons.
"I think it’s a case of just managing that wear and tear. We’ve got some good depth in our loose forwards, the locks, up front with the props and the backs as well. We will rest players, we’ll have to," Plumtree said.
"I think it’s 11 rounds before our bye, so it’s a long time. We’ll have to make sure we keep this group as fresh as possible."

I have a feeling the Sharks is going to be undercook for this match.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Am I reading the team lists right, Michalak at half for the Sharks? Has he played there before?

I've read somewhere (can't remember where) that he wants to play at 9 because that is where Toulon have signed to play and the position that he thinks is his best avenue back into the French national team

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cheetah team for Bobbejaansberg

Hennie Daniller, Dusty Noble, Robert Ebersohn, Andries Strauss, Rocco Jansen, Johan Goosen, Tewis de Bruyn, Davon Raubenheimer, Lappies Labuschagné/Philip van der Walt, Heinrich Brüssow, Izak van der Westhuizen, Andries Ferreira, WP Nel, Adriaan Strauss (k), Trevor Nyakane.

PLAASVERVANGERS: Hercu Liebenberg, Lourens Adriaanse, Waltie Vermeulen, Ashley Johnson, Pieter van Zyl, Sias Ebersohn, Willie le Roux.

Bolded debutants:
Johan Goosen: The next Bok flyhalf. This young laaitie can pump it from his own 10m line (I put the video up in the schoolboy section when he was still in school two years back) and pretty good attacker. He outplayed the other Ebersohn twin for the 10 jersey and is something really special.
Trevor Nyakane: dunno him.
Hercu Liebenberg: Brother of Tiaan.
Willie le Roux: Bolands and 1st Division player of 2010. This x Paul Roser the perfect replacement for Riaan Viljoen.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sharks : 15 Riaan Viljoen, 14 Louis Ludik, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Tim Whitehead, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Frederic Michalak, 8 Ryan Kankowski, 7 Marcell Coetzee, 6 Keegan Daniel (captain), 5 Anton Bresler, 4 Steven Sykes, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Dale Chadwick.
Replacements: 16 Craig Burden, 17 Wiehahn Herbst, 18 Ross Skeate, 19 Jacques Botes, 20 Charl McLeod, 21 Meyer Bosman, 22 Paul Jordaan.

Debutants:
Whitehead Ikey and Stormers midfielder. Havent impress on CC level.
Marcell Coetzee: Show his worth on CC level and a pretty hard nut to crack. Also a good ball carrier.
Paul Jordaan: Another fine x Grey Bloem young midfielder. Will make the SA U20 side this year.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Was thinking Sharks win all week but looking at the team sheets the Sharks look vulnerable. Untried centre combo (Whitehead was average in the CC and Pietersen has never played 13). Sharks have no big ball carriers, something their game plan needs.

Scrums will prob be even. Bulls will shade the lineouts.

Sharks second row? Meh.

Bulls by ten.

Can't bloody wait.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Except that they will mix it up. We have centers that can run with the ball. We haven't had those for a very, very long time. And we have a 9 that loves to have a go.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Was thinking Sharks win all week but looking at the team sheets the Sharks look vulnerable. Untried centre combo (Whitehead was average in the CC and Pietersen has never played 13). Sharks have no big ball carriers, something their game plan needs.

Scrums will prob be even. Bulls will shade the lineouts.

Sharks second row? Meh.

Bulls by ten.

Can't bloody wait.
The biggest problem for the Sharks is that they will be undercooked. Havent had hard warm ups like the Brutes. Brutes look pretty slick against the Cheetahs.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers: Pietersen, van den Heever, Habana, de Villiers, Aplon, Van Aswegen, Duvenage, Koster, Vermeulen, Burger (C), Bekker, Etzebeth, Harris, Liebenberg, Kitshoff
Subs: Ntubeni, Malherbe, Steenkamp, Kolisi, Schreuder, Francis, Brache

Etsebeth played SA U20 last year and an excellent lock.
Ntubeni Played WP U21 last year and get his change with Fourie injured.
Brache plays midfield/wing/full back. Ikeys got him from their koshuis league and a star in the Varsity Cup 2011 and a good with ball in hand.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lions: 15 Jaco Taute, 14 Deon van Rensburg, 13 Doppies le Grange, 12 Alwyn Hollenbach, 11 James Kamana, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Michael Bondesio, 8 Joshua Strauss (captain), 7 Derick Minnie, 6 Cobus Grobbelaar, 5 Franco van der Merwe, 4 Wikus van Heerden/ Hendrik Roodt, 3 Patric Cilliers, 2 Callie Visagie, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg.
Substitutes: 16 Martin Bezuidenhout, 17 Jacobie Adriaanse/ CJ van der Linde, 18 Hendrik Roodt / Stephan Greeff, 19 Warren Whiteley, 20 Tian Meyer, 21 Butch James, 22 Lionel Mapoe.

Not to sure if Visagie is the only debutant? Anyway callie Visagie is an x Paarl Boishaaier and Matie captain. The Stormers tried to contracted him last year but he is studying to become a CA and sat out the big time and rugby to finish his studies. Done that and now looking to follow in Josh Strauss footsteps.

Sport24
Lions coach John Mitchell was still sweating on the availability of lock Wikus van Heerden, who was nursing a knee injury, when he named his team for their first match of the Super Rugby season on Wednesday.
Hendrik Roodt was pencilled in among the starting XV, and if Van Heerden failed to recover in time, Plumtree said he would make his debut for the Lions in their clash with the Cheetahs at Ellis Park on Saturday.
It was also unclear whether Jacobie Adriaanse or CJ van der Linde would play from the bench.
Hooker Callie Visagie and Tian Meyer were set to make their debuts for the Johannesburg-based franchise.
Stephan Greeff was also named in the match 22, playing his first game for the Lions off the bench.

Baywatch become a dad in the week.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yep look like a misunderstanding going on.

Correct team
per their website
Mitchell sitcks to the tried and trusted with TN Lions team
February 22 - Former Maties hooker and captain Callie Visagie is the only new cap and newcomer to Super Rugby in the MTN Lions side start against the Cheetahs at Coca-Cola park on Saturday. With hooker Bandise Maku out for a lengthy period and Martin Bezuidenhout short of game time, Visage was an obvious choice. He will face Springbok hooker and Cheetahs captain Adriaan Strauss as direct opponent in the match.
Michael Bondesio was part of the match squad last year, but gets his first chance to impress
Lions coach John Mitchell has stuck with his tried and tested. James Kamana starts on the left wing in place of Michael Killian who has not completely recovered from a hamstring strain. Killian has belatedly come onto the bench in place if Lionel Mapoe, who ironically had to withdraw because of a hamstring strain.
The word ‘fetcher’ is perhaps over-emphasised in South Africa, but they have two of the best in that position with Cobus Grobbelaar coming in because of injury to Michael Rhodes. He starts at No 6 with Minnie moving to the other side of the scrum
At lock, Franco van der Merwe returns to the side. Wikus van Heerden is bracketed with newcomer Hendrik Roodt because of uncertainty over his knee injury, and on the bench Jacobie Adriaanse has been withdrawn with Springbok CJ can der Linde taking his place on the bench. A final call on Van Heerden and Adriaanse will be made on Friday.
If Roodt has to start, Stephan Greeff will move up to the bench, where scrumhalf Tian Meyer is with Roodt the only new Lions face. Roodt gas played for the Waratahs and the Cheetahs and as an Under-21 was also a member of the Bulls squad.
The team is:
Jaco Taute, Deon van Rensburg, Doppies la Grange, Alwyn Hollenbach, James Kamana, Elton Jantjies, Michael Bondesio, Joshua Strauss (capt.), Derick Minnie, Cobus Grobbelaar, Franco van der Merwe, Wikus van Heerden/Hendrik Roodt, Patric Cilliers, Callie Visagie, JC Janse van Rensburg. Replacements: Martin Bezuidenhout, CJ van der Linde, Hendrik Roodt/Stephan Greeff, Warren Whiteley, Tiaan Meyer, Butch James, Michael Killian

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Newlands and Loftus games close to sold out. Dunno about Ellispark my geuss is a minimum of 20,000 will attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.