• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 – ITM CUP - NZ's 3rd Tier Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Is it just me, or did it look like Fumiaki Tanaka and Aaron Smith have been sharing scrum half notes? Tanaka had a similar low, snappy delivery out of the rucks, and isn't afraid to attack the line. Hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Because the two have very little correlation. Otago provides very few Highlanders and Waikato very few Chiefs.
I kind of knew that but I guess my thought was that the highlanders must be shipping in the wrong ones.
I haven't yet been paying close attention to the ITM cup but the standard seems to have slid a little - views?
And what's with crowds - or are they just not crowd pulling games? Wouldn't you expect a much better crowd for a ranfurly defence than was there last night? There almost seemed to be more otago supporters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Crowds are always a lot lower for the ITM Cup. At the main centres people go to the Super Rugby, and at the smaller centres there are smaller numbers of people in the catchment pool.

As for standard, I think it's about the same as always. You have to remember that 80+ of the players are just the best players from the club system within that province. There are only 5 Super teams to be split within 14, and out of that you have to take out the All Blacks, and those with injuries.

There were more Waikato fans there last night, it's just that they got drowned out by the vocal Otago people. I was sitting with a bunch of refs, but all over the place the place there were smatterings of Scarfies. Otago always has a lot of fans around the country from people's university days. I am a classic example, when I got to Otago I had no real loyalty to a team because we moved around so much as a kid and so after 5 years there they seemed as good a team as any.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Crowds are always a lot lower for the ITM Cup. At the main centres people go to the Super Rugby, and at the smaller centres there are smaller numbers of people in the catchment pool.

As for standard, I think it's about the same as always. You have to remember that 80+ of the players are just the best players from the club system within that province. There are only 5 Super teams to be split within 14, and out of that you have to take out the All Blacks, and those with injuries.

There were more Waikato fans there last night, it's just that they got drowned out by the vocal Otago people. I was sitting with a bunch of refs, but all over the place the place there were smatterings of Scarfies. Otago always has a lot of fans around the country from people's university days. I am a classic example, when I got to Otago I had no real loyalty to a team because we moved around so much as a kid and so after 5 years there they seemed as good a team as any.

All in all, still made me suggest retirement to NZ to the family so we could get a bit more rugby in!

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
ITM cup is number 1 for me and I also enjoy the grass roots competitions. I haven't enjoyed Super Rugby so much since it expanded and went to the conference system.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not always a bad thing. We found some very nice wines in Napier - Gimblett Gravels.

No surf, but you can ski on active volcanos as well as watch plenty of footy live and on Foxtel.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not always a bad thing. We found some very nice wines in Napier - Gimblett Gravels.

No surf, but you can ski on active volcanos as well as watch plenty of footy live and on Foxtel.
Nah - I was thinking more of Queenstown in a villa at Millbrook
http://www.millbrook.co.nz/resort/accommodation/options/cottages.82/

Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 8.25.37 AM.png

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pinot Noir then.

I think you'd have to barrack for the Highlanders and Otago Scarfies then.

Skiing not too bad. International Airport handy. Great freshwater fishing.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pinot Noir then.

I think you'd have to barrack for the Highlanders and Otago Scarfies then.

Skiing not too bad. International Airport handy. Great freshwater fishing.
Skiing just a little too much like Oz.
If you've followed the Tahs then the Highlanders shouldn't be too much harder to take and Otaga hold the Ranfurly!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nice touch for Father's Day with the Auckland Jaffas running on with their fathers in the AKL vs BOP game today.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rupini Caucau is playing on the wing for Northland atm, already got 2 tries.

The Harbor #9 is top class.

Good rugby so far.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Aust Connected "Foreigners" in ITM Cup

TBA/TBC
Tom SEXTON, Rebels (via Leinster)
Terrence HEPETAMA, Waratahs, Randwick (NZ Born), Probably to Wellington
Scott FUGISTALLER, Rebels (Ex Wellington) - Will he return to NZ for ITM Cup?
Jason WOODWARD, Rebels (Ex Wellington) - Will he return to NZ for ITM Cup?
Chris EATON, Force (Unconfirmed - he came from Hawkes Bay to Force)
Jayden HAYWARD, Force (unconfirmed - He came from Taranaki)

Waikato
Paul ALO-EMILE, Rebels
Toby SMITH, Rebels
Mick SNOWDEN, Force, Eastwood

Hawkes Bay
Ged ROBINSON, Rebels
Max LAHIFF, Rebels

Manawatu
Nic STIRZAKER, Rebels, Sydney Uni
Doug TIETJENS, Kalgoorlie born
Matenga BAKER, Sydney born

Bay of Plenty
Kimami SITAUTI, Rebels
Beau ROBINSON, Reds

North Harbour
Salesi MANU, Force

Edit: changes made as per Gaggerlanders feedback and further research.

Another OZ connected player playing for Northland is Robbie Abel, who was in the Brumbies setup. Played last week but not today. He has plenty of whanau connections with the Northland region and Northland rugby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyone notice that in Northland game Chris Pollock was reffing and was just signalling the 9 with his hand when he was ready for ball to go in, perhaps a pointer to future??

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anyone notive that in Northland gane Chris Pollock was reffing and was just signalling the 9 with his hand when he was ready for ball to go in, perhaps a pointer to future??

I didn't notice that Dan. But I must say that i thought Pollock officiated really well. The scrubs were still a bit of an issue, but he got those cards right and the breakdowns as well

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
ACT, he was tapping him on back when on same side, and I thought just waving hand when on other side of scrum. I do agree I thought he officiated really well!!

Status
Not open for further replies.