• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 – ITM CUP - NZ's 3rd Tier Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Freedman

Frank Row (1)
As a Hawke's Bay boy I'm ecstatic.

In the 60s, as a young journo I saw the Magpies hold the Ranfurly Shield for three years, so to see them take the log of wood from Otago means a lot.

A young side, they may not keep the trophy long, but right now who cares?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Now that the Ranfurly Log is heading south to the land of the Scarfies, I hope the Highlanders make the most of it in the week that they will have it, because the Wine Drinking Art Deco Cafe Drinkers from Hawkes Bay will be bringing the Ranfurly Log to the Bay next week. Come on the Bay.

Go the Gimlett Gravellers. The Jarse adopted NZ franchise.

Picked it like a nose.

Given inconsistent form so far, I don't this Shield reign in Hawkes Bay will threaten the 1920 or 1960 records.

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
Their run will last until they meet Wellington I feel as they'll top the Championship and their fixture contains only 1 more cross over game at home for the remainder of the season.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Counties in with a decent shot this weekend I reckon. Tana can get them up for a one-off game I think.

Imagine that, Shield goes to a team that hasn't had it in 57 years to a team without it for 44 years to a team that has never had it. All in 3 weekends.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Counties in with a decent shot this weekend I reckon. Tana can get them up for a one-off game I think.

Imagine that, Shield goes to a team that hasn't had it in 57 years to a team without it for 44 years to a team that has never had it. All in 3 weekends.

The Ranfurly is fantastic, probably the thing I am most jealous of in NZ Rugby.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)

Dam0 you realise that Counties have a mid week match first? And that they have never won it. I suspect that the Bay will hold it this week at the least.

Only other defences are against Northland then the cursed (shield wise) North Harbour and then in the last week of the season my mighty Lions!!

I suspect Hawkes Bay biggest issue is keeping Guildford from dying of alcohol poisoning and off mopeds this week.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez I got to cheer for Counties this week. Were my Dad's team when he was alive, so even though I like the Magpies, I have to be a good son!!!

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Finally got around to watching the Shield game, gee I thought Otago should've gotten a penalty with about a minute to go for Ben Franks not rolling, about 20 out in front of the posts. Ref gave him the benefit of the doubt and called a scrum for unplayable but 9/10 times it would've been a penalty.

Gotta feel for the scarfies losing it so quickly but good on the Bay boys.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Canterbury looking very polished tonight against Bay of Plenty.

They must be favoured to take out the premiership.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Canterbury looking very polished tonight against Bay of Plenty.

They must be favoured tipped to take out the premiership.
Fixed that for you :)
I can't, simply can't, favour Canterbury. It'd be like favouring Sydney Uni!

The two matches this afternoon should be interesting with "my" Tasman Makos favoured (by me) to beat the spirited Otago side and while Southland will need to be at their top to upset Waikato, they are capable of it (there's a non-tip for you).

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Tasman to beat Otago and Southland to beat Waikato would be my picks. The first game will be better viewing than the latter.

Actually it's Southland v Waikato first.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Waikato are kak this year. They will do well to avoid relegation I'd say.

Next game should be a beauty.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Southland Waikato match was a disappointing match in terms of the basic skills that we expect at this level, hopefully the Makos can show the way in the next match.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
The Southland Waikato match was a disappointing match in terms of the basic skills that we expect at this level, hopefully the Makos can show the way in the next match.

And they certainly are - 37 -16 with 20 to go. Some great tries and skills on display from both teams, but particularly Tasman. The new scrums really do give an advantage to the dominant scrum, which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.