• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think the Aussie use of the technology is poor. It is stupid for a batsman to use it for LBW unless he has got an edge. The odds are against the Umpires decision being overturned as it has to be so far off that no genuine test class umpire is going to be that far out. The way we use it Shane Watson will waste one most innings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well played both teams. Cricket at its best, a result after lunch on the fifth day.

Australia played bloody well against a very good, and settled, Pommy side. They'll take a lot of confidence out of that match and a belief they can beat these bastards. BUT, the Oz batsmen simply have to perform. Khawaja's probably a monte to play in the next test, Lehmann should know what motivates him after working with him in Brisbane. And Warner should grab any opportunity with both hands as he'll more than likely get a gig next test. We seem to have a lot of openers in this squad (Rogers, Watson, Cowan, Hughes and Warner) and not enough middle and lower order batsmen. Any opener who scores runs down the order could be looking at a long test career after this tour.

Watson? You can fuck off right now, Shane. Grow up. Play for the team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
DRS has got to go.

I think DRS is beneficial to the game, it just needs to be used better from all sides.

In that test, Australia used it poorly and it probably cost us the game.

DRS is there to remove the terrible decision but a couple of times Australia shot themselves in the foot by blowing their referrals on poor calls. In the field, we used up referrals on poor LBW shouts that are incredibly low percentage plays.

Given that you should always have a review up your sleeve for a clanger then you need to be really careful where you use the first one. Given that an LBW has to have more than half the ball hitting the stumps it is hard to get a decision overturned. If we'd been more careful in the second innings, Broad would have been out and we'd have been chasing a lot fewer runs. I have no issue with Broad not walking. That is part of the game.

When we're batting, it is poor form for the openers to use a review on an LBW. Unless you've hit it or you're positive it has pitched outside leg stump you need to go. The odds of getting a decision overturned otherwise is too unlikely.

Personally I think DRS should be a tool used by the umpires to come up with correct decisions rather than something used by the players. It has never been a skill of cricket for players to be able to make umpiring decisions yet with DRS it has become one. I disagree with this.

DRS would be much better if the on field umpire made a decision then checked it with DRS when they're not sure.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Terrific guts and determination shown by the boys over the five days. Now we have to go about using the DRS more intelligently. I don't really buy the criticism of the technology and its use, now that it's shown to be fairly reliable. We dudded ourselves on more than one occasion by calling for a review when we should have. Had Clarke had a review in reserve with Broad's edge on Saturday this game would have been over before lunch yesterday. Poor judgement fellas.

The other thing that will need to improve obviously is the performance of the top six. There were some reasonable performances and I know Bell was the only bloke to make a hundred, but we are going to need more from the top order over the series. Cowan surely is not the man at three.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree that DRS is just another factor in the game.

Both teams will feel that they were on the wrong side of some DRS decisions.

Our team needs to learn how to use it better for maximum effect.

The Soap Dodgers seemed to be far more astute in their use of the DRS than our lot were.

D

daz

An established, cohesive and well drilled team got taken to 5 days and within 14 runs of a loss, by a rabble of a team that couldn't find it's own arse with an atlas a few weeks ago.

The Ashes is a great leveller!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Brave fight there, unfortunate we couldnt fall over the line. When was the alst time we squeaked a game?

Anywa, the top order is still very problematic. Most will get another chance, but Cowan should transition out now.

Watson's next chance should be his last one, unless he scores well. He has turned into a notta, notta batter or a bowler.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The more I think about this one the more I am slowly accepting the result. They were by far the better team with bat and ball, two or three individual performances kept us in it.

My ratings would be:
Watson - 4/10. Good start in the second innings and solid bowling but never looked threatening with bat or ball.

Rogers - 5/10. Unlucky in the 1st innings and workman-like in the 2nd, looked one of the more comfortable batters from either team.

Cowan - 2/10. Shocking with the bat, nearly took a ripper catch in the field on day 2. Maybe he was sicker than we thought or just not up to it.

Clarke - 4/10. Failed when we really needed him with the bat but showed great leadership in the field. His post-match interviews always come across as genuine, rest assured we will see runs from Clarkey soon.

Hughes - 5/10. Great 1st innings and unlucky in the 2nd, really looked far more mature then in previous tests.

Smith - 5/10. I liked both innings from Smith, he doesn't get overcome by emotion and always plays an attacking style. This kid has a big future, needs more purchase with the ball though.

Haddin - 6/10. Put down a simple catch of Bell on day 2 but made up for it with a brilliant 71 that nearly stole the game and could define his career.

Agar - 8/10. No words needed, bucket loads of potential.

Starc - 4/10. Few good wickets but never really dominated for long periods.

Siddle - 6/10. His 5 wickets put Australia on top early, disappointed he couldn't penetrate England's defence in the 2nd innings.

Pattinson - 6/10. Really didn't do much with the ball but created a great deal of excitement with the bat.

Bring on Test 2, rumours circling now are that Simon Katich, Jackson Bird, Usman Khawaja and Ryan Harris are all in the selection frame. Davie Warner still on a plane to Zimbabwe.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would have thought Bird would be a chance to play at some point in England. His style of bowling ought to be perfectly suited to their wickets. First drop still worries me. Who do we have who can fill the void there? Cowan, as much as I wanted him to be successful, isn't the man for the job and there aren't a lot of others. We ought to avoid wholesale changes too. One or two in the batting order and that should be it. I liked Hughes lower down, he's an improved player.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes, unfortunately as much as I like Cowan (seems a nice person) he is struggling right now. Khawaja is a good option but man I'd love to see "the Kat" come back. Agree on Hughes, he has looked more mature.

Who would Bird come in for? Starc?

I'm hoping Jimmy Anderson is going to tire at some point given how much the Poms are relying on him.

The issue with handing DRS over to the umps only & not the players is that some players/teams will get the shits if they feel the ump is using the DRS more against their team than the opposition. There are going to be issues no matter what way its used it seems.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given that neither innings was particularly long, I can't imagine we'll be changing our bowlers. They all performed pretty well aside from the first session on day 1 when we were too innacurate. 8 wickets for Siddle and 5 wickets each for Starc and Pattinson is a good return.

Cowan either needs to go or be given one more test to find some form. He looked all at sea in both innings. He's lost where his off stump is and is now playing at far too much that he doesn't need to.

Cowan came into the test side when he had career best form in Shield cricket at a mature age. On that basis, when his form falls away he needs to be dropped. It's not like he's a young guy who is constantly improving and is worth his spot in the side for the long term even when struggling for form. Replacing him is hard though. Khawaja is the main option but his recent form isn't fantastic and his test record is average. At this point it would be harsh to drop Cowan and bring in Khawaja because there is no guarantee Khawaja will perform. If he then failed in both tests do you drop him straight away or persevere?

Personally I would give Cowan one more test to see if he can make some runs. It's not like there is anyone bashing down the door with great form to replace him.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm hoping Jimmy Anderson is going to tire at some point given how much the Poms are relying on him.

Without doubt the best bowler in either team. He was at $3 to take the most wickets in the first test (his record at Trent Bridge is phenomenal - in contrast, Swann was at $1.40ish odds and he has the worst stats of all English bowlers at that ground). Managed to pick up a bit of money on that one so thanks for the bowling Jimmy, however DO NOT repeat in the second test.

You would think England will be making some changes too, that team won't win two on the trot against hungry opposition. Lords is a ground where you can't afford to be carrying out of form players, I can see Finn and Bairstow being dropped.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think DRS is beneficial to the game, it just needs to be used better from all sides. In that test, Australia used it poorly and it probably cost us the game.

The Poms used DRS four times, 3 right, 1 wrong. We used it nine times, 2 right, 7 wrong.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Personally I would give Cowan one more test to see if he can make some runs. It's not like there is anyone bashing down the door with great form to replace him.

Well Simon Katich just scored a double ton in county cricket...

Short term option though, we really need another genuine world-class batsman in our top order. Katich has serious issues with Clarke so it's unlikely.

Khawaja and Cowan have had plenty of chances so far and its too late for personnel changes this series. I think Boof will bring in Joe Burns and a few other young domestic players when the Ashes come to Aus.

You'd think a young wicket keeper would be top priority too.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Find all the bitchin' about Broad a bit laughable when it's the same Haddin that knocked a bail off and appealed for bowled and the same Clarke who has often stood his ground when obviously out. They hate him on the sub-continent for this very reason and frankly at time the ball has all but taken a pound of wood off the edge but he stands.

In addition I seem to remember Ponting and Clarke in the same test match grounding the ball and claiming catches.

Broad should have walked but the hypocrisy is something unbelievable. Cop it, shut it and go figure how to beat the English.

Status
Not open for further replies.