• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe if we asked the poms really nicely if they would please stop trying to trap Watson LBW. That way wouldn't be wasting a review every innings.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Find all the bitchin' about Broad a bit laughable when it's the same Haddin that knocked a bail off and appealed for bowled and the same Clarke who has often stood his ground when obviously out. They hate him on the sub-continent for this very reason and frankly at time the ball has all but taken a pound of wood off the edge but he stands.

In addition I seem to remember Ponting and Clarke in the same test match grounding the ball and claiming catches.

Broad should have walked but the hypocrisy is something unbelievable. Cop it, shut it and go figure how to beat the English.

I think far more of the hysteria has come from the media than anywhere else. I haven't heard any of the Aussie players getting that upset over it.

Personally I don't think batsmen are at all obliged to walk and if they do, good on them.

I think the prolonged changing of his boot prior to lunch on Day 5 was a far poorer piece of sportsmanship from Broad than not walking. I'd be more upset by that incident.

Accepting the umpires decision is part of cricket (barring the DRS intervention that is) which means you have to go if you're given out and by the same token, you're entitled to stay if you're given not out.

I don't think not walking is a sign of bad sportsmanship in cricket. It is just part of the game.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Any advice? ;)

Pray Anderson gets injured, if he plays all 10 Ashes tests this year he'll be the difference between the 2 sides. He is a class above all the other bowlers on both sides, for all the depth England have in their quicks they are all pretty average (obviously Anderson aside).

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Bring on Test 2, rumours circling now are that Simon Katich, Jackson Bird, Usman Khawaja and Ryan Harris are all in the selection frame. Davie Warner still on a plane to Zimbabwe.

Don't see Katich playing again. Imagine how pissed Clarke will be with him and Watson in the side. Khawaja is probably a very good chance.

One of the fast men need to go, my pick would be Starc. Not sure he is there yet and I would take Johnson if you want a leftie. Picking a left armer for the sake of it is akin to saying you must have an allrounder, how well has that worked out? Harris would be my choice to replace him but he is injury prone and Birds consistency could be very handy. Both are more consistent than the other guys.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One of the fast men need to go, my pick would be Starc. Not sure he is there yet and I would take Johnson if you want a leftie. Picking a left armer for the sake of it is akin to saying you must have an allrounder, how well has that worked out?

I don't doubt that Starc will potentially be left out of the second test, but I don't think the rest of what you said really stacks up against what happened.

Starc returned 5/135 from 49 overs at an average of 27 and a run rate of 2.75.

Pattinson returned 5/170 from 51 overs at an average of 34 and a run rate of 3.33.

Personally I would pick the same three quicks for the second test if I was picking the team.

I don't think it is fair to say that Starc has been picked because he's a left armer at any point. His form in recent years is way ahead of Johnson who isn't on this tour and I would say unlikely to play test cricket for Australia again.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Find all the bitchin' about Broad a bit laughable when it's the same Haddin that knocked a bail off and appealed for bowled and the same Clarke who has often stood his ground when obviously out. They hate him on the sub-continent for this very reason and frankly at time the ball has all but taken a pound of wood off the edge but he stands.

In addition I seem to remember Ponting and Clarke in the same test match grounding the ball and claiming catches.

Broad should have walked but the hypocrisy is something unbelievable. Cop it, shut it and go figure how to beat the English.

Although to be fair none of the outrage is coming from the players, it's all driven by the media.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

The thrust of the article was pretty good, but bloody hell it was hard to read. It was as if it were written by a second year philosophy major who wanted to show everybody how smart they were and inadvertently made an idiot of themselves in the process. I see from the comment thread that I'm not alone in that opinion either!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I dont' see too many people here complaining, or the players for that matter. There is no walking in cricket and hasn't been for a very long time. Gamesmanship has been part of the sport since WG Grace played.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some more unnecessary off field attention for the Aussies with Arthur coming out he wants to be reinstated or shown a truckload of cash. Obviously not happy with the settlement.

PLus he's aired some dirty laundry from his time at the helm.

The infighting and no homework is all a bit of a sideshow, but the claim of racial discrimination "because he was a South African" is very concerning for all sides.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Reinstated?

Are you fucking kidding me....

The last few weeks under Darren Lehmann have been the most exciting few weeks Australian cricket has seen in years. I want to see us at world number 1 again and it is 100% possible, Arthur just failed to prove it and it has nothing to do with race ( I WOULD HOPE!).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....Arthur.....wants to be reinstated..... PLus he's aired some dirty laundry from his time at the helm.

Reinstated/airing dirty laundry? WTF? You gotta be kidding, Mickey. If that's your style I say to James Sutherland, "well done!".

Arthur, if you'd like a few pointers how you should've done the job, watch Lehmann these next few months.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Arthur, if you'd like a few pointers how you should've done the job, watch Lehmann these next few months.

Don't put the mockers on us now Lindo!

We've played one test under Boof and lost it. He's got a long way to go before he can show anyone how they should've done the job.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Let me just add my voice to the chorus: Mickey, you are kidding mate. Why would you want to be reinstated anyway if the players rebelled against you? He's done his dash after dishing all that dirt.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Let me just add my voice to the chorus: Mickey, you are kidding mate. Why would you want to be reinstated anyway if the players rebelled against you? He's done his dash after dishing all that dirt.

I think he is kidding. He is more interested in getting as much as possible money but I don't think he seriously wants the job back.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think he is kidding. He is more interested in getting as much as possible money but I don't think he seriously wants the job back.

Oh don't worry I think that's what he's angling for as well. No sane person ever wants to be reinstated to a job they were sacked from in these situations.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Surely the reinstatement claim is just sensationalism by the original journalist. I can't believe that in the same document where Arthur openly criticises some players or outlines how some players feel about others (which had the potential to divide the squad), he would then go on to say that he wants the job back!

As to how these legal documents were leaked to the media....who knows. Mickey claims it wasn't him.

Arthur, who was punted two weeks before the start of the Ashes, claims he wanted things kept quiet, particularly given Australia are just over 24 hours out from their must-win second Test at Lord's.

“I am extremely upset and disappointed that confidential documents appear to have been given by others to the media,” Arthur said in a statement.

“The matters raised in my application to the FWC concerning issues within the Australian cricket team are very sensitive, which is why I was at pains to keep them confidential, especially at this time.

“I have kept them confidential, unfortunately others have now made them public. I want to stress how important to me the members of the team were, and still remain to me. The welfare of the Australian cricket team is upmost to me.”
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...been-made-public/story-e6frg7rx-1226680584069

Given that he has a reputation around world cricket as being a nice guy, perhaps you can give him the benefit of doubt. He is clearly very bitter about his axing though, so who knows.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He could have surely picked a better time.

Regardless, I say just pay the guy some money and lets all move on.

The most important thing right now is that it is wednesday and....

WE HAVE ANOTHER TEST MATCH TOMORROW NIGHT!!!

p.s also heard there is a big game of netball on tonight, go the girls in red.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
A few thoughts:

- no probs with Broad not walking. Remember Symonds V India at the infamous Test in 2008. I think his might have ebven gone to second slip. Its an individuals choice, it just looks bad but there are no real repercussions from not walking nor should there be.

- Arthur - WTF? Well his racism claims (if actually made) are serious and should be investigated thoroughly. The rest of the published complaints sound ridiculous.

For the third test:

- if Bird is bowling well in the nets I would bring him in for Starc. Accuracy is important at Lords and Starc can spray them, which could be particularly problematic given the slope. If Harris is also in form and fit, I would bring him in for Pattison.

- on batting, we don't know enough about Cowan's ist test performance (e.g. was he sick, what instructions was he given form Lehman etc.), but from the outside I would bring in Usmin. No other batter changes other than strict instructions to the top 6 to pull their finger out (otherwise Lehman will push it further in!).

Status
Not open for further replies.