• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can understand - smacked his pad pretty hard. But Clarke should have overruled him.

Not like we are in desperate need of the reviews anyway. Lunch break coming, nearly 400 on the board, bowlers for England look tied, and Broad is a little bitch.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Is it just me, or are Brad Haddin and Brett Sheehan separated at birth? In attitude if not looks...

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maan, the pitch is looking dead. The look on Lyons face said it all.

We are going to need reverse swing and a hell of a lot of good luck - DRS will probably be a factor too.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Sorry really put the wood on Warner there, just for you Aussies Anderson is going to sweep up these last 5 wickets in no time.

Can't understand why he reviewed that serious rush of blood, but you have to ask what the hell Clarke was thinking by agreeing to it? It was plumb but Clarke seemed to think he had a case, very strange all together

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Think it was a combination of his ego and the fact that he hit his pad simultaneously. Gotta give him the benefit of the doubt but that was a real rush of blood.

Anderson has looked pedestrian this entire innings, not sure he's the man for 5 wickets this innings.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Anderson has looked pedestrian this entire innings, not sure he's the man for 5 wickets this innings.

Purely tounge in cheek mate

Edit as I write Clarke gets out, Haddin needs to take control and get Australia up to 500 here but he needs to get it in good time. At the back of every Aussie mind needs to be that a draw isn't good enough so they need to attacking as much as possible

FingalRaven

Frank Nicholson (4)
Think it was a combination of his ego and the fact that he hit his pad simultaneously. Gotta give him the benefit of the doubt but that was a real rush of blood.

Aussies have really not worked out that reviews are for 50/50 decisions and Clarke has been one of the most wasteful with reviews so far in the series.

Clarke gone for 187.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
87 is still the unlucky number.

Half a ton for Haddin in what has been a very confident mature knock. He has really stood up with the bat in recent times and this innings has been composed and aggressive.

Starc batting incredibly well once again. Surely he's made a case for moving up the tail, 39no.

50 run partnership and 7/484. WARNING: STORMS COMING.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sensing declaration!

All English bowlers gone for over 100 runs. Congrats to Broad on 200 career wickets - you're still a **** though.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Apparently 38 overs left. I'd have them back out for another 30 mins tops and get as many overs at the Poms as possible this evening. If you can't win with 507 on the board, you probably aren't going to win with 550 either.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Great effort from most of the batsmen. Smith should really be kicking himself though, a big 100 here would have cemented his spot for some time.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
As TBH has eluded your final sentence is simply wrong: 2012/13 - 2nd test v South Africa: at crease @ 3/55. Scored 230 (345) 2012/13 - 1st test vs South Africa: at crease @ 3/40. Scored 259 (582) 2012/13 - 2nd test v Sri Lanka: at crease @ 3/117. Scored 106 (251) 2011/12 - 4th test v India: at crease @ 3/84. Scored 210 (380) 2011/12 - 2nd test v India: at crease @ 3/37. Scored 329* (609) 2011/12 - 1st test v NZ: at crease @ 3/91. Scored 139 (265) 2011/12 - 1st test v South Africa: at crease @ 3/40. Scored 151 (266) 2009/10 - 3rd test v Pak: at crease @ 3/71. Scored 166 (429) Are you arguing that he is not capable of anchoring an innings or that he is not a three? If it's the latter than we already knew that. I'd have him in my side over Amla or De Villiers any day of the week, and that has nothing to do with the fact that he's Australian. Statistics don't lie and unlike many of his counterparts his runs have come against a wide range of opposition.
First off all clever let me point out some facts you have missed. First of all in the beginning of November. They Australian cricket season starts and the pitches is still spanking new and will be very good compared to when you have your shield final.

So against SA Australia should have never been at 3/55 or so on. Consider a 5 day test wicket like this, Little bit in the morning as it dry out batting becomes better and with the old ball the bowlers are cannon fodder. From the top of your head how many overs of the new ball did Clarke survive?

Have you considered the SA bowling attack when Kallis took 2 wickets and pulled up with a injury. Injury to Philander and Steyn trying to get rid of a niggle. THe first two tests on day 5 there were still even bounce that how good that wicket was. And that is why both test matches ended in a draw. Then at the Perth test Clarke came in at no. 6. The ball was still on the newish side. Clarke was gone Australia 6 - 45

Other factor is 1st test vs SA Cowan opening the batting scoring 136. He was playing the anchor role and as he went Hussey took over. That is why CLarke was at his best and free flowing. Scoring huge amounts of runs.

And I said nothing about Clarke being a anchor. I said Australia needs to find a stable no 3 so you can get the best out of CLarke. SA used Jacques Kallis at 3 with team instructions. Kallis was held back and the SA team batting were not as good when a guy like Amla took the no 3 spot. Suuddenly we saw a much better looking free flowing Kallis. There is no doubt that Clarke can score big and bat for long period of times. But he does it with a positive attitude free flowing and attacking. Use that. But letting him drop into his shell because of top order failing your are not getting the best out of him and the team is not performing.

Guys like AB de Villiers can come in play the way they play because of knowing there is someone set and anchoring the innings at the other side

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Why such a massive importance on the number 3? Steve Waugh was the anchor on many occasions and he was a five. Batsmen will fail more often then not so who props the order up then. A case can be made for many positions such as you are arguing.

Does anyone have stats that show percentage of scores for certain batsmen in scoring bands, example scores < 20. 20-50, 50-100, 100<.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rassie, you need to stop while you are behind. I too fail to see the relevance to the current ashes series.

Back on topic though. Australia are well and truly in the driver's seat at the moment. Finally, we have posted a good total, and the cream was the couple of English wickets late in the day. We really need to come out firing in the first session tonight, take a few more wickets before lunch and have the poms on the ropes.

The problem is, I can see England going into their shell here and playing for the draw. We need to get under their skin and go for the throat.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And I said nothing about Clarke being a anchor. I said Australia needs to find a stable no 3 so you can get the best out of CLarke. SA used Jacques Kallis at 3 with team instructions. Kallis was held back and the SA team batting were not as good when a guy like Amla took the no 3 spot. Suuddenly we saw a much better looking free flowing Kallis. There is no doubt that Clarke can score big and bat for long period of times. But he does it with a positive attitude free flowing and attacking. Use that. But letting him drop into his shell because of top order failing your are not getting the best out of him and the team is not performing.

The reasoning in that last post made absolutely no sense mate. I picked out this little snippet though just because you seem too ignorant to understand the point we are making.

Ever since Ponting retired we have lacked a consistent no 3 and your second sentence we all already knew. Given that we have no stable no 3 yet and Clarke certainly won't be playing there anytime soon what do you suggest we do in order to get the best out of him that we aren't already doing? He has indicated that he prefers batting at 4 or 5 and statistics show those are his best positions. The fact that he has "the ability to score big and bat for a long period of time" wouldn't you prefer him in the position which is best going to cater for that and in the meantime find a permanent no 3.

I know you are arguing that he is only a good player when those around him anchor the innings but realistically we don't have once in a generation players like Ponting around anymore and I'd argue Clarke is doing a brilliant job at leading this young team. Its not as if you can just replace Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Hussey and Gilchrist overnight - we are in a transition period and rebuilding this side. Clarke had the luxury of learning and playing with greats of the game, he will pass that experience down onto new members of the squad. Perhaps we are not getting the best out of him that we once were but to me that would only indicate how good he really is - his average since becoming captain has sky rocketed and he always leads from the front. If that is not enough for you then you must have been severely disappointed with South African cricket for years, IMO other than Kallis there is no one in that side who is anywhere near the same level as Clarke 'not playing to his best ability' and still averaging 65.

End of discussion.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Back to the Ashes - which is why all most of us are here.

First session will be key tonight. We have to remove Cook early before he really sets himself and digs in. I have no doubt the Poms will play for a draw from here on, their run rate this entire series has been dreadful and they would know they are not capable of scoring the runs quick enough to get a result. Before Rassie jumps up and down about that, currently the English side have the second lowest run rate in test cricket, only behind Zimbabwe.

Regardless, day 3 should mean spin starts to become vital. Lyon will need to assert himself and hopefully he gets assistance from the quicks while the ball is new.

Key wickets are Pieterson and Cook as always - Bell also has been in ominous form and won't get out cheaply. Use of DRS will be essential for Aus, we are going to need reviews at some point so we must be patient and wait for the right opportunity/occasion.

I think we will see some really attacking fields from Clarke. As Warnie has said the secret at Old Trafford is to pitch the ball up and get the batsmen driving, if we can do that there is every chance of outside edges and ball movement.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
The reasoning in that last post made absolutely no sense mate. I picked out this little snippet though just because you seem too ignorant to understand the point we are making.

Ever since Ponting retired we have lacked a consistent no 3 and your second sentence we all already knew. Given that we have no stable no 3 yet and Clarke certainly won't be playing there anytime soon what do you suggest we do in order to get the best out of him that we aren't already doing? He has indicated that he prefers batting at 4 or 5 and statistics show those are his best positions. The fact that he has "the ability to score big and bat for a long period of time" wouldn't you prefer him in the position which is best going to cater for that and in the meantime find a permanent no 3.

I know you are arguing that he is only a good player when those around him anchor the innings but realistically we don't have once in a generation players like Ponting around anymore and I'd argue Clarke is doing a brilliant job at leading this young team. Its not as if you can just replace Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Hussey and Gilchrist overnight - we are in a transition period and rebuilding this side. Clarke had the luxury of learning and playing with greats of the game, he will pass that experience down onto new members of the squad. Perhaps we are not getting the best out of him that we once were but to me that would only indicate how good he really is - his average since becoming captain has sky rocketed and he always leads from the front. If that is not enough for you then you must have been severely disappointed with South African cricket for years, IMO other than Kallis there is no one in that side who is anywhere near the same level as Clarke 'not playing to his best ability' and still averaging 65.

End of discussion.
Sigh.

You should really go look up what the word anchor mean in cricket and what it involves.
Since you good at googling stats get me one where Clarke could bat out when in trouble to save a test match. So you can start at 4th innings scores.

Ans Australia batting line up have been anything but stable.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Back to the Ashes - which is why all most of us are here.

First session will be key tonight. We have to remove Cook early before he really sets himself and digs in. I have no doubt the Poms will play for a draw from here on, their run rate this entire series has been dreadful and they would know they are not capable of scoring the runs quick enough to get a result. Before Rassie jumps up and down about that, currently the English side have the second lowest run rate in test cricket, only behind Zimbabwe.

Regardless, day 3 should mean spin starts to become vital. Lyon will need to assert himself and hopefully he gets assistance from the quicks while the ball is new.

Key wickets are Pieterson and Cook as always - Bell also has been in ominous form and won't get out cheaply. Use of DRS will be essential for Aus, we are going to need reviews at some point so we must be patient and wait for the right opportunity/occasion.

I think we will see some really attacking fields from Clarke. As Warnie has said the secret at Old Trafford is to pitch the ball up and get the batsmen driving, if we can do that there is every chance of outside edges and ball movement.
In England the runs scored before the new ball arrives can be vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.