• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 IRB Junior World Championship - France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The SA U20s played a varsity team on the weekend, spanked them by 60 odd I think. It's amazing the ARU haven't really done anything here despite the recent results.

If there can't be a home and away series versus NZ before the final U/20 squad is selected (my first choice) then at least Oz could have two domestic trials "on the cheap".

One could be against Sydney Academy players who were not age-eligible, plus Tahs stable players not needed, and another could be against the Queensland equivalents.

You may not want to use hard-head older Super Rugby stable players as opponents, and just use the younger ones in their earlier 20s - but maybe you would.

Better still, an ACT/Brumbies and Sydney/Tahs opponent group could be combined, as travel costs would be minimal.

That would discriminate against WA and Vic players who would deserve to be in a trial against the U/20 hopefuls, but the idea is to do it "on the cheap."

It would probably be too late to organise it this year but it is a financially feasible plan for a couple of U/20 trials in the future.

Having in-house pick-up games in U/20 camps as quasi-trials doesn't quite do it.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
If there can't be a home and away series versus NZ before the final U/20 squad is selected (my first choice) then at least Oz could have two domestic trials "on the cheap". Having in-house pick-up games in U/20 camps as quasi-trials doesn't quite do it.
An alternative is include the U/20 with this Pacific series where our Super Rugby B Teams are playing Samoa and Tonga A teams. Or if Pulver has his way on 3rd tier and has Super Rugby B teams try to include U/20 as a 6th team.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
An alternative is include the U/20 with this Pacific series where our Super Rugby B Teams are playing Samoa and Tonga A teams. Or if Pulver has his way on 3rd tier and has Super Rugby B teams try to include U/20 as a 6th team.

Not sure throwing u-20's in against Super rugby B teams, and the Pacific Island teams would do anyone any good. The u-20's would get blown away phyiscally and would probably have a huge risk of serious injury.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's already a couple of u20s playing in the academy sides, they have the number about right, you can't make it the whole side or else they'd get smashed.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
No such thing as state U21 teams anymore as everything is focused on U20's. I'm sure they could sort out something though.

You would think a Pacific U20's comp held around Mar-May wouldn't be hard to arrange. Aust, NZ, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. Play over 2-3 weeks in one location. Money well spent in my eyes. Could play the final as a curtain raiser for a Super Game.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
All these teams are in the JWC and maybe they don't want to incur further costs nopr play each other before the JWC

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Australian Under-20 Selection Camp

NameClubHometown

1 Allan Ala'alatoa West Harbour Campsie, NSW
2 Mark Baldwin Randwick Menangle, NSW
3 Harrison Boileau Randwick Gurrundah, NSW
4 Luke Burton University of Western Australia Floreat, WA
5 Declan Carroll Norths Mosman, NSW
6 John Cameron Norths Turramurra, NSW
7 Richard Cooper Cottesloe Dalkeith, WA
8 Jack Debreczeni West Harbour Strathfield, NSW
9 Jack DempseyGordon West Pymble, NSW
10 Sam Fattal East Tigers Sorrento, QLD
11 Lalakai Foketi Manly Manly, NSW
12 Michael Freeman Norths Clayfield, QLD
13 Sam Greene Wests Clayfield, QLD
14 Albert Hemopo Southern Districts Miranda, NSW
15 Reece Hodge Manly Allambie Heights, NSW
16 David Horwitz Randwick Vaucluse, NSW
17 Oliver Hoskins Manly (Perth)Manly, WA
18 Chris IngateSydney University Mosman, NSW
19 Jack Johnson Randwick Bronte, NSW
20 Siotame Kavapalu Manly Freshwater, NSW
21 Jake Kay Northern Suburbs Castle Hill, NSW
22 Samu Kerevi GPS Northgate, QLD
23 Phil Kite GPS Boondal, QLD
24 Brad Lacey Wests Scarborough Canning Vale, WA
25 Silatolu Latu Sydney UniversityBotany, NSW
26 Connor Malan Gold Coast BreakersBenowa, QLD
27 Ofiu Manukeu West Harbour Plumpton, NSW
28 Jake McIntyre Sunnybank Alstoneville, NSW
29 Jock Merriman Sydney University Boorowa, NSW
30 Connor Mitchell University Of Queensland Buderim, QLD
31 Andy Muirhead Souths (Brisbane)Daisy Hill, QLD
32 Harrison Orr Southern Districts Five Dock, NSW
33 Harry ParkerUniversity Of Queensland Paddington, QLD
34 Rowan Perry Vikings Monash, ACT
35 Matt Philip Sydney University Avalon, NSW
36 John Porch Northern Suburbs Sydney, NSW
37 Oscar Pryor-Lees Northern Suburbs Marrickville, NSW
38 Angus Pulver Sydney University Mosman, NSW
39 Sam Reiser University Of Queensland Bardon, QLD
40 Pat Sio Northern Suburbs Lidcombe, NSW
41 Moli Sooaemalelagi Melbourne University Roxburgh Park, VIC
42 TJ Siakisini Helensvale Woodridge, QLD
43 Tom Staniforth Royals Kambah, ACT
44 Jim Stewart Sydney University Avalon, NSW
45 Corey Thomas University of Western Australia Gooseberry Hill, WA
46 Senio Toleafoa West Harbour Bidwill, NSW
47 Kemueli Valentini Harlequins Clayton, VIC
48 Campbell Wakely University of Queensland Banora Point, NSW
49 Michael Wells Southern Districts Turramurra, NSW
50 Waldo Wessels Southern Districts Gymea, NSW
51 Mitchell Whiteley Sydney University Geurie, NSW
52 Tom Wilson Sydney University Hornsby Heights, NSW

Congratulations to everyone and good luck at camp. And from my prospective 5 WA lads great work!

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ok so this is just for the second camp. i suppose players that are in Super rugby will be in teh third camp. It will be interesting to see who makes the third camp.

On another point why is it that we have to find out about this from a NZ source and there is nothing in OZ about this

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
All these teams are in the JWC and maybe they don't want to incur further costs nopr play each other before the JWC
But the NH teams have no issue competing in the U20 6 Nations? I think you're right about the $$$ being an issue. I think it would work out well and be a great warm up to the JRWC.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
But the NH teams have no issue competing in the U20 6 Nations? I think you're right about the $$$ being an issue. I think it would work out well and be a great warm up to the JRWC.

As an aside a lot of the players eligible for this side have been involved in the Pacific Cup games for their academies so I gues this will give the individual some game time against older and more experienced players. I would like to see something done for after the the side is selected so they can work on combinations and decide the best fit for all.

Looking at the players who attended camp 1 and those attending camp 2 I have great hopes of a much improved showing this year

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The list for the next U20 camp has been finalised - there have been a number of players cut.

Have seen the list but it's not been sent out in a media release yet so don't have a copy yet.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The list for the next U20 camp has been finalised - there have been a number of players cut.

Have seen the list but it's not been sent out in a media release yet so don't have a copy yet.
for my own selfish reason :) any WA boys on that list ?

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)

Is this for the camp or an actual squad? I've heard of a few players being left to play 'A'/College games and the like rather than attend the camp, which makes figuring out who they are actually looking at frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.