• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Apparently 5 WA boys included in the Barbarian squad:

Riley Winter
Netiinili Fielea
Angus Taylor
Kauri Kudd
Hayden Anderson

Some very good players in that group.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
[Combined States (Aust Barbarians) representatives
Harrison Lloyd – Western Districts - ACT
Connal McInerney – Tuggeranong - ACT
Tyrel Lomax – Tuggeranong - ACT
Callum Smith – Tuggeranong - ACT
Brodie Leber – Western Districts - ACT
Dean Parragalli – Royals - ACT
Joel Brown – Easts - ACT
Jordan Jackson-Hope – Tuggeranong - ACT
Keith Morgan – Queanbeyan - ACT
Jamie Kotz – Gungahlin - ACT
Harry Burey – Royals - ACT

Riley Winter - WA
Netiinili Fielea - WA
Angus Taylor - WA
Kauri Kudd - WA
Hayden Anderson - WA

Phillip Bradford (Newcastle Hunter), Hooker - NSW Country
Joshua Vainikolo (Central Coast), Loose Forward - NSW Country
Blake Walsh (Newcastle Hunter) Prop - NSW Country
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/News/New...Colts-Selected-for-Australian-Barbarians.aspx

Ta Hosea, Vic
Jonah Placid, Vic
Fereti Sa’aga, Vic
RJ Sa’aga, Vic
Pat Toeta, Vic
Sione Tuipulotu, Vic

Edit:
25 names confirmed so far.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Netinili Fielea is a talent. I remember him as he started in QLD and was in winning undeR 16 team. Aaron Pleash returned to his best after recurrent injuries and looks bigger and fitter. I value him high as he has the best technic amongst frontrowers of his age. He is the captain of QLD team thanks to his leadership qualities. If he will stay injury free he has a good chance for a spot in Aus team. Adam Korczyk plays 6 for Reds but Under 20 is short on quality locks and he played 4 this weekend. I think he is a complete package with his size, aerial skills, and high workrate. He will be an asset on the tour. However I am a bit concerned that so far I did not see any new, big, good quality locks. I can only hope that NSW or Barbarians will produce someone of the size and quality of Staniforth.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the enemy camp - RBS 6Nations U20 results:
http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/u20/under_20_6_nations_match_centre.php

Round 1
Italy 15 - Ireland 47
Wales 21 - England 15
France 47 - Scotland 6

Round 2
Scotland 36 - Wales 34
Ireland 37 - France 20
England 61 - Italy 0

Round 3
Ireland 14 - England 19
Scotland 45 - Italy 0
France 27 Wales 5

Games to come:
Round 4 (13/3/15)
Italy vs France
England vs Scotland
Wales vs Ireland

Round 5 (20/3/15)
Italy vs Wales
Scotland vs Ireland
England vs France

England join Ireland and France as the leading 6N U20 sides.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Apparently 5 WA boys included in the Barbarian squad:

Riley Winter
Netiinili Fielea
Angus Taylor
Kauri Kudd
Hayden Anderson

Some very good players in that group.

Crikey WA win the comp and get 5 in the squad and the ACT, beaten by WA get eleven.

I know the reasons why that could happen was well as most but it is odd.

One factor is that Auega Seumanutafa of WA, the player of the tournament in Adelaide, is not eligible for Aus yet.

Victorian flyhalf Pat Toeta, who was highly rated by Thompson would also be a good chance to be included.

The pity for the combined side is that they won't be training together until they arrive a couple of days before the others in Canberra.

By contrast the NSW U20s have been flogged three times a week since the end of November and being playing games or refereed hitouts since the first cut in the new year.

I expect the Reds team have had a similar programme.

It won't be an even playing field but Adrian Thompson and Manu Sutherland, plus anybody else involved in Aus U20 selections will have the experience to look through those factors when they choose the squad for the tournament involving the NZ U20s and others, in Queensland.

The touring party will be picked after that and they will come to Sydney for the final camp and a warm up before they go overseas.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree Lee. The persecution complex that every west australian has is going off at the moment. Bit of a shame a couple of good WA boys like Oscar Backhouse were ruled out before the tournament. Reckon he'd have made the aussie team.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Bit of a shame a couple of good WA boys like Oscar Backhouse were ruled out before the tournament. Reckon he'd have made the aussie team.

I think Thompson was in Perth for the WA trials, so he would have seen Backhouse dominating there. I would hope Oscar was still in the frame for Oz 20's based on that showing, as well as Barbarians last year and NRC appearances.

As I understand it, his injury ruled him out of Southern States and Nats but he should be good to go soon thereafter.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Powers that be will be monitoring the Under 20 Team Rehab boys, and if fit they will be parachuted into the National Championship squads, or a position held open in the final Aust squad until they pass a fitness test.

Also I reckon that Thompson will be negotiating with the Super Rugby clubs and Aust 7's to seek release the likes of Kellaway, Magney, Wilkin etc.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Crikey WA win the comp and get 5 in the squad and the ACT, beaten by WA get eleven.

I know the reasons why that could happen was well as most but it is odd.

One factor is that Auega Seumanutafa of WA, the player of the tournament in Adelaide, is not eligible for Aus yet.

Victorian flyhalf Pat Toeta, who was highly rated by Thompson would also be a good chance to be included.

The pity for the combined side is that they won't be training together until they arrive a couple of days before the others in Canberra.

By contrast the NSW U20s have been flogged three times a week since the end of November and being playing games or refereed hitouts since the first cut in the new year.

I expect the Reds team have had a similar programme.

It won't be an even playing field but Adrian Thompson and Manu Sutherland, plus anybody else involved in Aus U20 selections will have the experience to look through those factors when they choose the squad for the tournament involving the NZ U20s and others, in Queensland.

The touring party will be picked after that and they will come to Sydney for the final camp and a warm up before they go overseas.

Six players from the RaboDirect Rebels’ U20s side have been selected in the Australian Barbarians to compete at next month’s National Under 20 Championship in Canberra.
Ta Hosea, Jonah Placid, brothers Fereti and RJ Sa’aga, Pat Toeta and Sione Tuipulotu have been chosen to compete against Queensland and New South Wales U20s at the Championship, as well as play in matches against both Fiji and Tonga’s U20s sides.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Any word on when the Qld and NSW final squads for National Championships will be announced?

Given the NSW U20s still have a 3-way trial next Saturday Vs Norths/Souths 1st grade at Rockdale Rangers Rugby Union Club (2pm), I'd guess the final squad won't be announced till after next weekend, which is less than 2 weeks out from the Canberra tournament.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Australian Barbarians U20:

Prop
Blake WALSH, Newcastle Hunter, NSW Country
Fereti SA'AGA, Melbourne University, Vic
RJ SA'AGA, Northern, Vic
Harrison LLOYD, Western Districts, ACT
Tyrel LOMAX, Tuggeranong, ACT

Hooker
Phillip BRADFORD, Newcastle Hunter, NSW Country
Connal McINERNEY, Tuggeranong, ACT

2nd Row
Riley WINTER, Wests Scarborough, WA
Callum SMITH,Tuggeranong, ACT
Brodie LEBER, Western Districts, ACT

Loose Forward
Joshua VAINIKOLO, Central Coast, NSW Country
Ta HOSEA, Harlequin, Vic
Hayden ANDERSON, Wests Scarborough, WA
Joel BROWN, Easts, ACT
Dean PARRAGILLI, Royals, ACT

Angus TAYLOR, Wests Scarborough, WA

Pat TOETA, Morabbin, Vic
Jordan JACKSON-HOPE, Tuggeranong, ACT

Centre
Sione TUIPULOTU, Southern Districts, Vic
Keith MORGAN, Queanbeyan, ACT
Harry BUREY, Royals, ACT

Wing
Jamie KOTZ, Gungahlin, ACT
Netiinili FIELEA, Cottesloe, WA

Fullback
Kauri CUDD, Nedlands, WA
Jonah PLACID, Melbourne Rebels, Vic

Positions "guestimated" based on previous playing histories.

Edit- Note: If max squad size is 26 as indicated below, there is 1 more to be added.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Given the NSW U20s still have a 3-way trial next Saturday Vs Norths/Souths 1st grade at Rockdale Rangers Rugby Union Club (2pm), I'd guess the final squad won't be announced till after next weekend, which is less than 2 weeks out from the Canberra tournament.

Is this trial at CA Redmond Field (entrance via Bruce Street or Francis Avenue, Brighton-Le-Sands)?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rockdale Rangers Web site says "Our field is the CA Redmond Field, off Bruce st, Brighton-Le-Sands".
http://rockdalerugby.ning.com/page/booking-of-fields

Link above includes a map.

However, I can only recall getting to the field by turning off Francis Avenue, near the Brighton Le Sands bowlo (50 A Francis Street). Usually you park in the Bowls club car park or on the #2 field (AKA Greg Arkin Field) if it is not being used. Typically $5 for parking which goes to the Rockdale Club.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Australian Barbarians U20:

Prop
Blake WALSH, Newcastle Hunter, NSW Country
Fereti SA'AGA, Melbourne University, Vic
RJ SA'AGA, Northern, Vic
Harrison LLOYD, Western Districts, ACT
Tyrel LOMAX, Tuggeranong, ACT

Hooker
Phillip BRADFORD, Newcastle Hunter, NSW Country
Connal McINERNEY, Tuggeranong, ACT

2nd Row
Riley WINTER, Wests Scarborough, WA
Callum SMITH,Tuggeranong, ACT
Brodie LEBER, Western Districts, ACT

Loose Forward
Joshua VAINIKOLO, Central Coast, NSW Country
Ta HOSEA, Harlequin, Vic
Hayden ANDERSON, Wests Scarborough, WA
Joel BROWN, Easts, ACT
Dean PARRAGILLI, Royals, ACT

Angus TAYLOR, Wests Scarborough, WA

Pat TOETA, Morabbin, Vic
Jordan JACKSON-HOPE, Tuggeranong, ACT

Centre
Sione TUIPULOTU, Southern Districts, Vic
Keith MORGAN, Queanbeyan, ACT
Harry BUREY, Royals, ACT

Wing
Jamie KOTZ, Gungahlin, ACT
Netiinili FIELEA, Cottesloe, WA

Fullback
Kauri CUDD, Nedlands, WA
Jonah PLACID, Melbourne Rebels, Vic

Positions "guestimated" based on previous playing histories.
Jamie Kotz plays his best football at fullback but is unlikely to push Jonah Placid out of position. I am sure he will be wrapped to get some playing time with these guys and against NSW and Qld in any position. Given that he has a couple more years in under 20s this will be terrific experience for him. Competing for an Australian spot with the likes of Placid, Ben O’Donnell from NSW, Mitch Third who was the Qld fullback on the weekend, might be a bridge too far for him this year but he won’t let anyone down at the nationals and I am not going to write him off as a smoky.

T

TOCC

No QLD country players made the team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
No QLD country players made the team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard tell of it being a 26 man squad. above are 25 named may be one spot left. Everyone seem to only be publishing inclusions from there area eg. Brumbies and Rebels websites so I think this list has been pieced together on this thread.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm unsure of the maximum size of the squad for nationals. I'll defer to Uncle Joe's news as he is a lot closer to the squad than me.

I have glued the squad above from Force, Rebels, Brumbies and NSW Rugby websites.

Last time I checked there was nothing about any Qld Country players being selected for the Barbarians side. That doesn't mean that one or more won't be selected. Assuming the squad size is 26, then the there is one player yet to be named from Qld Country, or the selectors are waiting for someone to pass a fitness test, or be cleared from other rugby commitments.

The squad looks like it needs another scrumhalf, utility back or 2nd rower.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Jamie Kotz [snip] Given that he has a couple more years in under 20s this will be terrific experience for him.

@Uncle Joe: Just to clarify - when you say "a couple more years in under 20s", do you mean this year and next year? There are a number of lads currently named in squads / extended squads who are eligible for under 20s in 2015 and 2016. Or do you mean this year, plus a couple more years? If that's the case, he must be turning 17 this year?

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
@Uncle Joe: Just to clarify - when you say "a couple more years in under 20s", do you mean this year and next year? There are a number of lads currently named in squads / extended squads who are eligible for under 20s in 2015 and 2016. Or do you mean this year, plus a couple more years? If that's the case, he must be turning 17 this year?
He was 17 as of 1 January 2015, turned 18 since but as he will not turn 20 until 2017 I believe that makes him eligible for 2015,2016,2017. Happy to be corrected. He was eligible for the under 18 rugby 7s nationals on the weekend just gone and is available for selection for the youth Commonwealth Games in Samoa in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.