• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddy

Peter Burge (5)
with injuries to the reds i can imagine tuttle and adam having some time with the reds, wil they still be avaiable for WC?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Remains to be seen. They're both in tour in SA, you'd expect Korzyck will be free to play u20s when tui is fit, which I think is after the tour. Tuttle is not as clear and may depend on how he plays if he gets on, though at this point it looks like one of Tuttle, Duncan and dagliesh will probably have to stay with the reds.

B

Bobby Sands

The Reds have shown in the past they want their juniors to play the U20s. Id say Tuttle is over there on apprenticeship more than anything. If not dire they will all play, Magnay would be the only one to be held back I would have thought if it got that dire.

muddy

Peter Burge (5)
does anyone know a link where i can find a free streaming of the shute shield, im overseas , thanks

No, there is none (I thought it was on Bar TV but that was for Newcastle Hunter rugby) - I will send you a convo, but if you have any more to say on the matter you have to do it in the Shute Shield thread.

LG

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Under 20s players Matt Sandell and Folau Fainga'a both featured for Sydney Uni in the televised game on the weekend. Good signs from Sandell as the opposite LHP from Manly was embarrassed by the ref who threatened to send him off if he didn't start holding the scrum up. Fainga'a came on in the second half, was probably not so fresh and his lineout throwing was very poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
I saw that exchange and thought it was extremely disrespectful from a ref who looked like he'd never packed down in a scrum in his life.

He told the Manly LHP that if he did it again "You'll be off and we'll get someone on who knows how to scrummage" If a player said the same thing about a ref he'd be red carded and suspended for a very long time. It's the sort of thing you expect from the mungo refs.

The Manly captain pointed out that the slippery surface was causing collapses, which the ref acknowledged and then says but not the scrum he just penalised, yet they were all packed in the same area.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
News from the Shire:

Congratulations to Conor Young and Trent Winterstein whom have been selected for the National Canadian & Samoan U/20 teams respectively, for the 2015 Junior Rugby World Cup in Italy in June.
11008423_867606683275867_7466840216529975677_n.jpg

muddy

Peter Burge (5)
Under 20s players Matt Sandell and Folau Fainga'a both featured for Sydney Uni in the televised game on the weekend. Good signs from Sandell as the opposite LHP from Manly was embarrassed by the ref who threatened to send him off if he didn't start holding the scrum up. Fainga'a came on in the second half, was probably not so fresh and his lineout throwing was very poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as long as players are getting time in grade , only build from there

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sandell amazes me because he is not the biggest guy going around for a THP (anybody know a 2015 weight?).

Whereas an older guy can get away with it, it is rare that an U20 eligible, lighter THP can make his mark at scrum-time in the 3 jersey, in the Shute Shield, in first grade.

I saw him play on both sides of the scrum in his years at Joeys (as well as throw to the lineout) but that doesn't really signify much given the schoolboy scrumming laws.

I maintain my hope, that I mentioned when he was at Hunters Hill: that he becomes a hooker in senior rugby.

PS - That was a poor comment by the referee wasn't it?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good for Sam. He was a bit behind the other NSW U20 wingers and missed the cut but he's a good player and I'm glad he got a gig: it will be a great experience for him.

I thought one of the NSW wingers who was preferred, Christian Yassmin (his team mate at Scots), should have got more time on the park for NSW in Canberra, but I suppose that the return of Henry Hutchison to Sydney was a part of that.

And another old Scots lad, Ben Starkey, also got little playing time, which surprised me.

(Stream of consciousness working here: nobody cares what school they went to - but it's good that Sam kept the bagpipe connection by playing for Gordon).

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Yes agree with your thoughts on Matt Sandell
He has strong Technique, Ticker and Thighs!!
Thats we he is so effective imo.

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Oh I just read about referee incident re scrums last week.
I would be inviting that ref to forwards training on thursday in contact sessions to see if he can learn something to improve his understanding.
maybe even throw him into hooker for a couple of scrums
he will soon learn it is not an exact science nor a blatant attempt to break the laws to gain an advantage.

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)

Agree re lineouts. Most throws were either crooked (2 or 3) or went over the jumpers to be collected by the opposition at the back (another 2 or 3). There was also some loose carries where the ball was lost forward. Also a couple of good tackles and carries, but a pretty mediocre performance. I found myself wondering if he was carrying an injury perhaps...

Sandell, on the other hand, was exceptionally strong and put in a great dig as an under 20 prop. Such a solid performance from the young fellow.

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
Oh I just read about referee incident re scrums last week.
I would be inviting that ref to forwards training on thursday in contact sessions to see if he can learn something to improve his understanding.
maybe even throw him into hooker for a couple of scrums
he will soon learn it is not an exact science nor a blatant attempt to break the laws to gain an advantage.

As soon as you see a referee touching the props' shoulders to 'hold them steady' or something (who knows what they are thinking) you know they have no idea about the scrum. Even some of the international refs do this 'touch the prop's shoulders' thing - as if that's going to make any difference to anything the scrum does, or keep them on the mark, or keep the scrum steady.... Why on earth do that do that? Drives me crazy.

Saturday's ref did it several times.

Charlies son Bob

Stan Wickham (3)
Have had some difficulty getting through to the IRB JWC website - the link from the ARU Under 20s goes to a 404 error - not helpful.

More information available when you google "2015 World Rugby Under 20 Championships "- wikipedia advises that formerly known as IRB JWC (to 2014).

Looks like it is all in the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.