• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Great run kellaway, offloads to croke, great play from Asu charging forward. Tails are up here, Up to 7th or 8th phase. 5 out from the line, pick and go time. L Tui crashes over. Good try to the big man. Kellaway is stamping his authority on the midfield with some dominant runs at speed, making huge meters every time and redden is getting in on the game with him, Deegan is a must start in all games from here on in. Backs look a different beast with them on.

L Tui has been good today, big minutes for a big man.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Japan kick out on the full, Aus lineout 30 out. Better play from Aus, spoke to soon, lineout long, lost ball, but japan knock on. Aus Scrum, same spot

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Scrum penalty Aus, deegan to shoot for the sticks. Interesting watching with the sound down, Kellaway barking orders at his forwards to put the ball down for Deegan to kick. He seems to be in a mood today, lets hope he gets his hands on it and takes out some of the rage on the cherry blossoms.

Kick is wide, Japan 22 drop out

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Aus charging ahead. Forwards going no where,Kellaway grabs it and charges over the gain line. moving well upfield, multiple phases, penalty Aus, Deegan lines up again 42 out.

And its wide but Japanese player knocks in on in goal, scrum 5 to aus, huge let off to Aus.

Aus 40 Japan 33

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Big scrum from Aus, redden goes close, Deegan goes closer, but held up, Scrum 5 Aus,

Score is Aus 37 Japan 33 for those interest, my maths is out today

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Aus winger over out wide, off the scrum, 1 on 1 on the short side beats his man and over.

Aus 42 Japan 33 kick to come 5 in from touch long side.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Yassmin big break off the scrum, big meters, deegan throws the dummy and almost goes through, off resulting ruck Aus earn a penalty, taking another shot, 30 out in front

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Kick is wide but goes dead and that's time. Aus 44 - Japan 33.

Some serious headaches fo the aus coaches tonight.

Aus were dreadful save for the late additions of Kellaway, Deegan and the tight head prop replacement who salvaged something for Aus with a bit of stability. Losing 2 tight heads to Japan will not sit nicely with the forwards boss.

Hard to pick a MOM, however 7 and 6 for aus toiled hard, and 8 played well for the 50 odd minutes he played. L Tui was strong, in some involvements, but gaps between those involvements were to big. Deegan and Kellaway a class above in the backs, and would be the pick of all the backs despite only being on the field for 20 minutes.

Will give MOM to 7 Kamp, worked his ring off and his dark red headgear, meant I noticed when he did stuff! Well done on the win Aus, but serious work needed before the weekend. Will write up more notes on the match and the issues when the Boss isn't watching!

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Infact, change of mind, will split MOM honours with the Japanese 15 who was simply brilliant in general play kick returns and his kicking game. Special player whoever he is!

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Very Disappointing performance from the Australian team. I don't think many of the starters in this game helped their chances of making the best possible team. No. 5 for Aus did have a good game and stood out as well as Deegan & Kellaway.

Think the boys might need a bit of a roasting before they face the Kiwis whose passing and control looked good for the most part.

Credit to the Japanese team though. They were tenacious right to the end and gave the Aus team a lot of grief around the ruck. Interesting game when they face Samoa!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Credit to Japan. The Aussies didn't like it up 'em.

jyUmnT6.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Folau Fainga'a has some stiff competition from Tevita Tatafu for the best rugby name!

Shame he isn't an Aussie as well.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Ok, boss has left the building, some some quick notes on the game. The Forwards were belted from pillar to post, it is as simple as that. The tight 5 at set piece time and up until about the 60 minute mark, had no impact on the Japanese forwards at all. 2 tightheads from the Japanese that they made look far to easy leave major cause for concern at the front row.

The back row were a rare dimly glowing light, Kamp in particular. They tried hard and worked really hard to get into the game, but to be honest, they will need to be alot better against NZ. Croke tried hard, but didn't have a huge impact, niether did McCalman off the bench, 7 and 8 the best of the big boys.

The halves were atrocious. That about sums them up, 9's service was so slow that the backs had no where to go, and 10 was either jumping or diving to take the pass he had nothing to work with, and when he did looked like a rabbit in the head lights. Had the 10 played the game, he may have been able to pin some of his performance on the 9, but when Deegan came on, instant game changer. Deegan was all class, and a level above. Based on that game, the 9 and 10 will want to stay put on the bench for Aus to have any chance against the top nations.

Centres tried hard, and Redden was the pick of the starting backs, tried to straighten it up when he could, but had limited opportunities and Newsome a bit the same, but lacks the same size and punch Redden does, but he was willing to have a crack.

Wingers did ok, again very limited ball, both looked for work, but still couldn't find much. Yassmin made some great meters up the middle when he came in, would think he has the inside running for the potentially vacant 11 jersey fro Saturdays big clash. The 15 was missing in action, didn't see him at all, however my screen was a touch blurry, he could have contributed to some of the midfield bursts.

The game change, the addition of Kellaway and Deegan. Deegan took instant control, and went looking fro Kellaway quickly to get the ball moving, and move he did. Head down, bum up, huge meters every time and he was at full flight running into contact. Off the back of his work, Redden picked up his game and got in on the act too, and Aus really dominated the last 15-20 minutes.

The highlight, seeing a clearly fired up benched captain spray his teammates and lift their game. Don't let it be said the U20's is a stepping stone, or the contracted guys see it as a bit of a step back from super level, the intensity with which he addressed the team and took control was paramount and really set the bench mark. From this watcher, he gets a 10 out of 10 for attitude, impact and general captaincy, made the right calls, shot for goal when needed and led from the front. Outstanding cameo! The other 2 highlights for me were big L Tui crashing over from close range and celebrating his first try in green and gold. The other for me was the play of the Japanese 15, i gave him a wrap earlier, but he was simply brilliant. Watch him closely, with the likely Japanese super team coming, he will be there or there abouts.

The lowlight, The aus scrum and the forwards getting bashed up by a team meant to be a long way below them. The coaches will be ripping hairs out over that performance. From the sideline and granted i am not at the ground or privy to what the coaches say, but my advice. Get the entire forward pack off and keep them that way, find 8 new forwards to get on the park asap. The only 2 who really dug in and could possibly warrant a run against NZ would be L Tui and Kamp and potentially the 8, but i would want alot of impact out of my backrow come Saturday. 9 and 10 fall into the same boat for me.

I have read a bit about Short, and have seen him play a few times around the sydney traps, and after watching that, if that is the second best half in Aus.........................................

Short is sorely missed in that team. If he were to receive a call this evening asking him to come and join in for the weekend, i think there might be a few people on this site and around the traps who might be a bit happier to see it.

All in all, a win, albeit a lucky won for Aus, and Japan can be spirited at that performance. Samoa Japan will be a corker, Aus NZ, i am not so sure.
Moleman out

ld2b

Allen Oxlade (6)
Mitchell Short is an absolute standout as half back and is the only one who seems capable of passing it from the deck. Time will be critical for the backline against top class defenders, they can't wait for a No.9 to stand up take a step and then pass!

Status
Not open for further replies.