• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NZL v AUS Schoolboy tests have been fairly even for the last few years, and our U20 selection and development model since 2014 appears to be significantly superior to that of 2013 and years preceding.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe the NRC will help there with both player retention (because the pathway is clearer) and player development.

A handful of the current U20 team played a couple of games in the NRC didn't they?

I'll wager a handful of the Kiwis have been playing in the ITM cup.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Seems like some serious defence work needs to be done. Don't have a hope of winning or even progressing to finals conceding these scores. Over 100 points in 3 games. Having said that the team should be better for playing these games in preparation.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
NZL v AUS Schoolboy tests have been fairly even for the last few years, and our U20 selection and development model since 2014 appears to be significantly superior to that of 2013 and years preceding.
One thing about the NZ Schoolboys compared with their actual national teams at an older level is the inefficient selection. Many of their good under 18s don't get in the side. While that's the case for any rep side it's notable in this case. Without having done the exercise, I reckon I'd know which out of the AB and Wallaby test squads had more players from their respective schoolboys' sides.

The U20 development model has improved but an area where we still need to catch up is coaching down the line. The coaches back down the chain to the base need more investment. Some olympic-style early talent id of players also couldn't hurt.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is spot on kiap. I was sitting next to a bloke from one of the NZ rugby unions (in the junior area) at a Bledisloe match - in 2010 I think. Oz Schools may have been playing in the curtain raiser.

We talked about how the NZ and Aussie Schools teams were selected and he was impressed by our system - they had nothing like that he said because their national competition was between the best individual schools - similar to the RSA, I suppose.

He said that he and his colleagues rolled their eyes sometimes when the NZ Schools teams were announced because they tracked the boys in their union from a young age and knew the best ones in their sub-union. Good players were routinely over-looked for NZ Schools and often, ironically, by lesser players from the same district.

But once the boys left school - different story.

PS - yesterday I wrote a blog on the game here:

http://goo.gl/Q3r70I

B

Bobby Sands

Sounds like this tournament has been really good for Duncan's development. As much as the Reds need a 10 right now, it is so much more beneficial for him to be running around with his contemporaries. I think he will be a good player.

T

TOCC

So apparently 3 of the Japan U20's were previously Tonga representatives at juniors..

Is this a targeted effort by Japan Rugby to strengthen their test team, at what point are they recruiting the players to Japan? Is this good or bad for the global game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Australia does pretty well out of players recruited from other countries, as do many countries.

While we do not rely on foreign recruits, is it better that Henry Speight is Wallaby eligible, or would the global game be better off with him in our Green and Gold or the White of Fiji?

T

TOCC

Australia does pretty well out of players recruited from other countries, as do many countries.

While we do not rely on foreign recruits, is it better that Henry Speight is Wallaby eligible, or would the global game be better off with him in our Green and Gold or the White of Fiji?

Yeah Australia does it as well... I actually think there's a big difference between the path Henry took and the path these guys are taking, been recruited as 18/19yr olds straight in the Japan system.. Who's arranging it, the JFRU or Japan clubs?

I'm genuinely interested in when Japan started this program, their U20 squad featured no Polynesian players in 2014 and whilst I can't seem to find a Japan U20 team lineup i suspect there was more then just 3 foreigners included..

B

Bobby Sands

The Japanese team was good, anyone who couldn't see that was just being blindingly ignorant. Their Tongan backrowers will be very good at the JWC.

B

Bobby Sands

Yeah Australia does it as well. I actually think there's a big difference between the path Henry took and the path these guys are taking, been recruited as 18/19yr olds straight in the Japan system.. Who's arranging it, the JFRU or Japan clubs?

I'm genuinely interested in when Japan started this program, their U20 squad featured no Polynesian players in 2014 and whilst I can't seem to find a Japan U20 team lineup i suspect there was more then just 3 foreigners included..

It's the same with their senior side (and all senior sides). It's an incredibly competitive space, and good for the game if it improves skills internally by improving the squad.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So apparently 3 of the Japan U20's were previously Tonga representatives at juniors..

Is this a targeted effort by Japan Rugby to strengthen their test team, at what point are they recruiting the players to Japan? Is this good or bad for the global game?

I saw All Japan play Taranaki in (?) 1974 & they had two Tongans in their pack, one defo a prop & the other either a lock, 6 or 8. Not sure about now but back then it was to do with Tongan boys getting scholarships to Japanese schools then staying on for Uni (that being the backbone of Japanese rugby at the time).

The fact that Tonga was & is part of the International Whaling Commission was, of course, PURELY COINCIDENTAL, OK.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also if any of you have been to countries like Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, you'll realise how strong the Japanese link is. The aid provided by the Japanese to these said islands is pretty impressive, anything from infrastructure like schools and hospitals to free bottled water and medical supplies.

The fact that it happens is brilliant and one can understand why so many Polynesian boys end up in the Japanese rugby system.

The reason why it happens though isn't as great as oldboy alluded to above..

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ still recall driving over a bridge in Vanuatu that had a big-arse sign at each end declaring it to have been built with Japanese aid after the previous one got washed away in a cyclone. Pretty sure Vanuatu belongs to IWC, too :)

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from the 2015 U20 Oceania Rugby Championship Japan v Samoa game here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100900132@N02/sets/72157652531153412

Cracking game. Samoa came back from 18-3 down at half-time and levelled the scores with a few minutes to go, until a tip tackle from a Japanese player gave the Samoans a penalty shot for the win 33-30.

17453458192_6537c3ccd7_c_d.jpg

17281188820_08186345f3_c_d.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm hearing some info about the final team from the squirrels - with some surprises - but please don't declare what you know, or think you know, before the team announcement.

Thank you

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ The ARU presser from late Saturday said the team for Jnr RWC would be announced within 48 hours.

I'd imagine that the phone calls were made yesterday and early today, along with some medical assessments.

ARU tend to release stuff around 11:00 am or 2:00 pm. I'd back a mid afternoon formal release of the team.

With quite a few still in Team Rehab, I'd imagine that there may be a few listed that are "subject to final medical clearance".

Status
Not open for further replies.