• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015S15 SA vs NZ matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Sharks were woeful in this match even before Deysel got carded.

As for the Crusaders they must be practicing playing with 13 or 14 men as they seem to do it so easily. Certainly they have had a few sent off this year and seem to score more points when down men.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
In any event the Sharks have a real problem with basic thuggery in their side. The Du Plesis brothers and this idiot.
This has been coming some time. The Sharks taking their intimidation tactic one step to far this year. Maybe this happen when you get older, every rugby player experiense this. Deysel was simply stupid but dont know to play rugby different. The Saders were superb.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ seems about right & 3 weeks/ 2 matches longer than I thought he'd get. Can't say it's restored my faith in the judiciary process & outcomes but it's a start.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
7 weeks/6 matches for Deysel

That seems like a just punishment, but I'm sure there are people in South Africa and elsewhere wondering why Horwill only got one week for a very similar blow, albeit one struck with fist rather than knee.

It never ceases to amaze me how rugby can't get this stuff right, or at least consistent.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I actually think the process is pretty clear and you can generally predict what the suspension will be once you are familiar with Regulation 17, especially appendix 1.

They almost always discount the penalty because the player is so sorry and its so out of character which is where the judiciary undermine themselves and the way byes are being handled at the moment is ridiculous.

SANZAR always publish the details too which can make for interesting reading.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/jean-deysel-banned-for-seven-weeks/

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ problem being that you then get a Steyn-like decision that just makes it all look a bit random & it then takes while for one's faith to almost be restored, then you get a Steyn-like decision etc etc........

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I actually think the process is pretty clear and you can generally predict what the suspension will be once you are familiar with Regulation 17, especially appendix 1.

They almost always discount the penalty because the player is so sorry and its so out of character which is where the judiciary undermine themselves and the way byes are being handled at the moment is ridiculous.

SANZAR always publish the details too which can make for interesting reading.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/jean-deysel-banned-for-seven-weeks/

Like any process where the judiciary is allowed discretion to maximum sentence as provided by law will almost never be used.

I much prefer a mandatory penalty system with increasing penalty range for repeat offenders. ie:- Levl 1 Level 2 etc etc.

The current system just leads to the derision of the whole process and that outcome is not desirable for anybody.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Francois Louw, Juandre Kruger and Flip van der Merwe

Louw yes.
Kruger fell out of favor last year for reasons unknown and id highly unlikely to return to Bok duty unless there are many injuries. Bulls do miss him though.

Flip has not gone anywhere. Had surgery off season. Back on the bench for the Bulls this weekend which is huge. The current no4 is the weakest link in the Bulls pack and needs to be replaced. That upright running long-haired blonde fella. Percy on roids.

I think too much is being made of players leaving and too little about poor coaching and the management of young talent. I think this is where SA have fallen behind the 8 ball in a big way.

When clearly the best coach in Super Rugby coaches the Lions you know your rugby is in the shit. Ludeke, Gold, Coetzee. If anyone thinks these guys are world class coaches please try tell me with a straight face. I like Gold. But maybe he is a good assistant and analyst. He has difficult personalities in the Sharks and they are running riot. Ludeke has been more adventurous until lst weekend when he panicked and had the Bulls play old school against the Lions and that played into their hands. The bet thing to happen to Stormers Rugby in 10 years is that Coetzee will be leaving. He has held them back.

SA has oodles of young talent. But the bulk of them seem to disappear year after year or they just do not fulfil promise. Some just probably have it coached out of them.

That's what SA needs to fix to cope with player drain. Not some looney idea of keeping players in SA that will never work, like SARU has come up with recently.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
If PSDT recovers in time.. what about the other 2 or 3?

Matfield will be one?
Yep Oupa Matfield will be there. It will be interesting to see if Meyer will reward the Stormers fatties specially Koch. He dominate them all this season.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It will take an almighty effort or lots of injuries before Meyer will pick anyone new for the Boks this year.

Not saying it's right but I think that is how he does things.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
WGTN piss about and make hawd work of it vs the Shawks. Fairly belaboured effort to eke out the win.

Nonu with plenty of fuckups, turnovers, spillage etc.

Big effort from Ardie Savea.

Damn, a 2016 AB back row of A.Savea, A.Ioane & K.Read...... it'd be like have 10 1/2 backs

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez DP, Nonu was just behind Savea for MOM for me, he's playing bloody well in my opinion.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Craig Joubert banks 4 points against the Highlanders who combine a crappy 2nd half with diabolical refereeing decisions against them to squander a 20-3 HT lead

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Jesus, some home town calls in the Lions v Highlanders game. 12 penalties to 3. Lions with the dominant scrum (on their own feed) but not all of those were penalties. I don't even know how mauls work anymore.

Pretty pitiful losing to a team that only has a good scrum. Highlanders shot themselves in the foot playing so flat, they have never had the gift of patience. So much firepower in the back line, they think they need to use it every single play. Fekitoa was throwing passes like a madman. Sopoaga kicking it out on the full when they just needed an ounce of composure was a killer.

The Lions, well, they're basically a typical South African team aren't they. Big kicks, mauls, set pieces, expect they can't throw a line out for shit. Played big and strong and it was good for the win this time. Well done to them.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep ACR, thought the Lions played well to their strengths and deserved win. Agree Fekitoa would look back and wish he used softer hands in a couple of passes, but also thought the Clan ran out of puff a bit at end, maybe high veldt kicking in.
Know what you mean about mauls, I figure these days if you set a maul, refs seem to allow you to do whatever you want, and basically the defensive team can do virtually nothing, was very confused with some of those calls.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Craig Joubert banks 4 points against the Highlanders who combine a crappy 2nd half with diabolical refereeing decisions against them to squander a 20-3 HT lead
Joubert ignores all his local boys knock-ons, forward passes, maul joinings from the North Pole, etc, "play on".

When even the south african commentators admit, for the first time since the Boer War, that a visiting team have not got "the rub of the green" from a ref then you know you have just had your awse cheeks torn asunder and the innards scattered all over sunny downtown Jo-Burg in broad daylight.

Didnt help that the Highlanders seemed to run out of puff in the last 10 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.