• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Well, GPS rowing is turning into a non-event. This forum will have to cease due to lack of interest from, well, GPS school 1st VIIIs. Imagine in the rugby comp if teams decided on the day to scratch or DNRO (did not run on)? I thought I saw Scots and Shore out on the warm up lake but that was their row for the day. Scots grabbed the nice little shady spot near the bridge and then seemed to put up a dismal showing in practically every event. KT may be going the way of Jim Tomasula (sic) from the 49ers. I can't believe there isn't benefit putting the eights through their paces at SIRC for a race at SIRC? Get them used to overzealous BROs with swiveling warning lights, air raid hooters, silence in the starting room, road blocks and warning signs. It's beginning to feel like the West Bank down there. The only people who can enter will be an UN convoy. I wouldn't be surprised if they start planting IEDs along the bike path to account for any wayward rider.

Most of the races seem to be made of both senior eights from a school otherwise, well, we wouldn't have enough eights racing. The whole approach from schools is frustrating. People want to see their schools in action but everyone is afraid of losing. So one loose wingnut, one wonky wheel, one illness means all out. Yeah, yeah, yeah... "Can't race because Brigham is essential to the crew.... the wingnut is essential to the integrity of the vessel..." But what if the crew is bigger than the individual? What if the ship sinks? It's all about human endeavour or it used to be. (This site doesn't like it when you use an ellipsis......!)

From those who did show, Joeys did well. Not crackingly fast in the SB8 but conditions were changing all the time. Wind blowing one way and then the other. Plenty of times in other events were slow as well. Still, a solid performance with a 6:03. Credit to Newington and Joeys in the MO8 for showing up. Newington look sharper and will benefit from the racing. Good to see SBHS fronting up as usual and these guys are coming along. Their times are improving and it's one good news story from the day. They show good spirit probably benefiting of a recent old boy and Crockford's enthusiasm. Riverview were okay but it's difficult to tell because it's all relative to everyone showing. Grammar may struggle in the seniors. Scots seemed to struggle all the fours. Several lasts or bottom order placings, thankfully edging out TAS in the 3rd, 2nd and 1st IVs. Kings are patchy. Their second IV are good but the 2nd eight is struggling and their 1st VIII placed 7th in front of SBHS. In the fours, Joeys are knocking on the door with a series of seconds (excluding interloper non-GPS schools). As we know, it all seems to be about what happens on the day, so we could expect some peaking at the right time.

Reactions: LBA
L

LBA

Oh how I have missed you little pig. Welcome back !

Maybe we should all carry white flags and wave them in surrender to be able to use the facilities at the 2km.

If what I have heard is correct and not B/S - the guarding of the start zone is influenced heavily by who is doing the boat holding on the day. Scouts and a local rowing club often use it as a source of income - wonder how much it is worth. Could not pay me enough to do that job - it is a very important part of 2km held start racing but - not the most glamorous or pleasant job.

SRC had a lot of volunteers every timing hut occupied as indicated by splits up on the results.

L

LBA

Race 23 - 2 x Shore 2nd VIII crews entered??

Let's hope that Scot's turn up to their own Regatta coming up !

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Here's the point in question.. Scots won't have to turn up because there aren't any senior events listed. GPS rowers must just train, train, train.... The rowing system is in danger of disappearing really. At a senior club level, if you don't make a national crew, people throw it in and drop off like flies because, apart from Kings Cup, there's not much else to row for. If you don't win the HOTR, it increasingly appears there's not much reason to participate (noting the falling crew depth in schools such as Newington, SBHS and Grammar).

I'll tip that crews will enter the Gold Cup MO8 but many will bale at the semis if they make it that far. Off to do more training!

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well, GPS rowing is turning into a non-event. This forum will have to cease due to lack of interest from, well, GPS school 1st VIIIs. Imagine in the rugby comp if teams decided on the day to scratch or DNRO (did not run on)? I thought I saw Scots and Shore out on the warm up lake but that was their row for the day. Scots grabbed the nice little shady spot near the bridge and then seemed to put up a dismal showing in practically every event. KT may be going the way of Jim Tomasula (sic) from the 49ers. I can't believe there isn't benefit putting the eights through their paces at SIRC for a race at SIRC? Get them used to overzealous BROs with swiveling warning lights, air raid hooters, silence in the starting room, road blocks and warning signs. It's beginning to feel like the West Bank down there. The only people who can enter will be an UN convoy. I wouldn't be surprised if they start planting IEDs along the bike path to account for any wayward rider.

Most of the races seem to be made of both senior eights from a school otherwise, well, we wouldn't have enough eights racing. The whole approach from schools is frustrating. People want to see their schools in action but everyone is afraid of losing. So one loose wingnut, one wonky wheel, one illness means all out. Yeah, yeah, yeah. "Can't race because Brigham is essential to the crew.. the wingnut is essential to the integrity of the vessel." But what if the crew is bigger than the individual? What if the ship sinks? It's all about human endeavour or it used to be. (This site doesn't like it when you use an ellipsis..!)

From those who did show, Joeys did well. Not crackingly fast in the SB8 but conditions were changing all the time. Wind blowing one way and then the other. Plenty of times in other events were slow as well. Still, a solid performance with a 6:03. Credit to Newington and Joeys in the MO8 for showing up. Newington look sharper and will benefit from the racing. Good to see SBHS fronting up as usual and these guys are coming along. Their times are improving and it's one good news story from the day. They show good spirit probably benefiting of a recent old boy and Crockford's enthusiasm. Riverview were okay but it's difficult to tell because it's all relative to everyone showing. Grammar may struggle in the seniors. Scots seemed to struggle all the fours. Several lasts or bottom order placings, thankfully edging out TAS in the 3rd, 2nd and 1st IVs. Kings are patchy. Their second IV are good but the 2nd eight is struggling and their 1st VIII placed 7th in front of SBHS. In the fours, Joeys are knocking on the door with a series of seconds (excluding interloper non-GPS schools). As we know, it all seems to be about what happens on the day, so we could expect some peaking at the right time.

Great summary, fpiglet. Kudos to Grammar, too - their 1st VIII time would have looked more at home in the 3rds, but despite the opportunity to enter in a lower div (SRC being a club regatta) they stick to what is morally right and the boys will be all the better for it. So what if St.Aug's won the 1st Four? That's basically rowers ranked 1 -4 against rowers ranked 17-20. Hardly an achievement, but it's all about what looks good in the newsletter or on the website.

As for other schools scratching at the last minute, in regattas 3 weeks out from HOTR, they might need to crank this one up at SIRC:

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
On the subject of Scots what actually happened to their 1st VIII yesterday as they are not placed in the results on RNSW and it doesn't state that they were a DNS or were scratched.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Yep, Shore are racing their Yr10 1st VIII in the 2nd VIII race and coming second. A very strong crew and a bunch of good lads.

MR

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yep, Shore are racing their Yr10 1st VIII in the 2nd VIII race and coming second. A very strong crew and a bunch of good lads.

MR

I'm sure they're all lovely boys, but it's been a while since we've seen all the HOTR contenders start and finish a race in their own division, only a few weeks out from the big day. So many times lately when you are viewing the racing or reading the results and you wonder, what am I watching here - and why? Compare with last season if you'd care to.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Well if they do, it's about bloody time. While they're about it, they can clear away the 80-100 girlies and parents barracking on the concourse directly in front of the grandstand.

Why would you want to clear the supporters just displaying a bit of pride in their club, school, friend or child. Who's way are they are in, I love to see a crew lift when they hear the crowd.

L

LBA

That is so funny - when you are racing it is all white noise mate - and seriously a crew goes up a couple of points because it is the race plan not because they hear Mummy and Daddy screaming like banshee's from the side of the course.

If you are serious about wining that race plan would be like a song in your head on repeat - you stick the plan - rain, pain or anything in between you stick to that plan. Regardless of one person on the side line or the whole crowd. That will lead to victory!

I am all for supporters cheering and dancing around but it does not help at all - it is all just white noise. Having had the privilege of attending the AAGPS HOR and several other HOR's the sound of the GPS boys supporting their respective rowers is amazing. But in reality it would help the boys in their hearts but that is about all - all white noise would have to pushed out to stick to the plan.

I loved the video - What does the fox say !! I also liked the drone footage as well. There is so much diversity on this forum.

Bottom line is there are people who read the forum but do not post - there are people who post but the one thing we all have in common is we Love Rowing. So let's all embrace our difference and row on !!

Sweepoar

Frank Row (1)
Great summary, fpiglet. Kudos to Grammar, too - their 1st VIII time would have looked more at home in the 3rds, but despite the opportunity to enter in a lower div (SRC being a club regatta) they stick to what is morally right and the boys will be all the better for it. So what if St.Aug's won the 1st Four? That's basically rowers ranked 1 -4 against rowers ranked 17-20. Hardly an achievement, but it's all about what looks good in the newsletter or on the website.

As for other schools scratching at the last minute, in regattas 3 weeks out from HOTR, they might need to crank this one up at SIRC:

If Grammar would be more at home in the 3rd VIII where does that leave Kings who they beat.

I mean Grammar has beaten Newington Kings and Iggies at various points in the season and a 4 second margin (what they had at SRC regatta) behind 5th isn't exactly insurmountable - I wouldn't say their anywhere close to how bad SBHS is by any stretch of the imagination.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
If Grammar would be more at home in the 3rd VIII where does that leave Kings who they beat.

I mean Grammar has beaten Newington Kings and Iggies at various points in the season and a 4 second margin (what they had at SRC regatta) behind 5th isn't exactly insurmountable - I wouldn't say their anywhere close to how bad SBHS is by any stretch of the imagination.

Sorry, my bad - I meant the Grammar 2nd VIII in a time of 6:57.

stern-bow

Bob McCowan (2)
That is so funny - when you are racing it is all white noise mate - and seriously a crew goes up a couple of points because it is the race plan not because they hear Mummy and Daddy screaming like banshee's from the side of the course.

If you are serious about wining that race plan would be like a song in your head on repeat - you stick the plan - rain, pain or anything in between you stick to that plan. Regardless of one person on the side line or the whole crowd. That will lead to victory!

I am all for supporters cheering and dancing around but it does not help at all - it is all just white noise. Having had the privilege of attending the AAGPS HOR and several other HOR's the sound of the GPS boys supporting their respective rowers is amazing. But in reality it would help the boys in their hearts but that is about all - all white noise would have to pushed out to stick to the plan.

I loved the video - What does the fox say !! I also liked the drone footage as well. There is so much diversity on this forum.

Bottom line is there are people who read the forum but do not post - there are people who post but the one thing we all have in common is we Love Rowing. So let's all embrace our difference and row on !!

you evidently haven't rowed then if its just 'white noise.' i think you need to re-adjust your know it all attitude towards this sport, especially within the context of the AAGPS

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
you evidently haven't rowed then if its just 'white noise.' i think you need to re-adjust your know it all attitude towards this sport, especially within the context of the AAGPS

Very true - having rowed at the head of the river, its a 1500m race, the crowd carries you in the last 500

L

LBA

Harsh - I am happy with my attitude thank you very much. I have never claimed to know much about anything but just like everybody I am entitled to my opinion.

You did not read and interpret what I said - the crowd will lift your spirits and your heart would be happy - but if you do not remain focused on the race plan you could stuff up. Heads should remain in the boat - looking around and getting caught up in what is happening on the banks - there is potential to loose your position in the race. Time to soak up the atmosphere when you are standing on the podium.

It is white noise - I feel very confident and comfortable saying that until the cows come home - you cannot hear individual people yelling. We are all affiliated with rowing in one way or another - Thank goodness we are not all in a boat together. Would not be pleasant at all :D:D

Many many moons ago - I openly said I came to this forum to learn about GPS Rowing which is small part of the rowing world - a special part but still just a part. If you isolate and don't welcome people who are interested in GPS Rowing you may in fact be shooting yourself in the foot.

So much for embracing people who love rowing !

GPS Rowing is part of your life maximum of six years - end of Yr 7 until Yr12. A good solid foundation but the statistics as previously discussed of boys who stop rowing after Yr12 are very high. Let's not get carried away !!

Status
Not open for further replies.