• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Why would you want to clear the supporters just displaying a bit of pride in their club, school, friend or child. Who's way are they are in, I love to see a crew lift when they hear the crowd.

Perhaps I should clarify. At two recent regattas the concourse was a nightmare, parents, kids, bikes everywhere during presentations and racing. Previously officials have been vigilant about keeping this area clear, making for much more civilised viewing from the grandstand. I have no problem with barracking or team pride, but SIRC is a big place with plenty of space for teenage packs to unleash the war cries.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
That is so funny - when you are racing it is all white noise mate - and seriously a crew goes up a couple of points because it is the race plan not because they hear Mummy and Daddy screaming like banshee's from the side of the course.

If you are serious about wining that race plan would be like a song in your head on repeat - you stick the plan - rain, pain or anything in between you stick to that plan. Regardless of one person on the side line or the whole crowd. That will lead to victory!

I am all for supporters cheering and dancing around but it does not help at all - it is all just white noise. Having had the privilege of attending the AAGPS HOR and several other HOR's the sound of the GPS boys supporting their respective rowers is amazing. But in reality it would help the boys in their hearts but that is about all - all white noise would have to pushed out to stick to the plan.

I loved the video - What does the fox say !! I also liked the drone footage as well. There is so much diversity on this forum.

Bottom line is there are people who read the forum but do not post - there are people who post but the one thing we all have in common is we Love Rowing. So let's all embrace our difference and row on !!

Bit of a sour way to look at it, believe it or not rowing is not just clinical execution, you need the motor driven by a big ticker and when you ask crews can they here the crowd and does it lift them, its a resounding yes.
They love it, just something we on the bank can add to the race plan,.Have you not heard the babble coming from the coaches peddling down the track or seen 2way radios strapped onto boats.
Happy to disagree, anyways I will still be cheering on my boys, their friends and crew mates, it makes for a much better day.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Perhaps I should clarify. At two recent regattas the concourse was a nightmare, parents, kids, bikes everywhere during presentations and racing. Previously officials have been vigilant about keeping this area clear, making for much more civilised viewing from the grandstand. I have no problem with barracking or team pride, but SIRC is a big place with plenty of space for teenage packs to unleash the war cries.

Fair enough maybe, State was busy on the concourse but I wouldn't say out of hand. Yes its a big place but in front of the grandstand ( at the western end, never in the middle ) is the best place to cheer from !!

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Never going to argue with the technical aspect of rowing its not negioable for sucess but either is the size of the motor. But otherwise agree on all fronts, what radios !

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
They love it, just something we on the bank can add to the race plan,.Have you not heard the babble coming from the coaches peddling down the track or seen 2way radios strapped onto boats.
Happy to disagree, anyways I will still be cheering on my boys, their friends and crew mates, it makes for a much better day.

Uh-oh.... Not sure two way radios are allowed from coaching staff in a boat during racing. I'm sure someone can verify from the book? Okay for training but not racing me thinks. If against the rules and names named etc....! Woohoo finally some scandal on this rather pedestrian forum!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Kinda miss the forums of old when innuendo, misinformation, hype, huge erg scores, secret training in Duck Creek, spying, talking it up, playing it down, outrageous suggestions, ambit claims were all the go before it was subjected to petty moralizing from some who don't get irony, sarcasm or cheeky humor. Must be getting real old!

Is it me (must be) but isn't a real first world problem when one class complain about another class (pedestrian school aged spectators) as to who has the right of way or right to best viewpoint? Pretty sure the angle from grandstand isn't impeded by punters on concourse. Obviously pedestrians are expected to be seated and all bitumen cleared for riders. Don't tell me it's about safety issues! But really???

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Yep. Under 7d of rules of boat racing, third party communications are prohibited. Okay, boof.., cough up the offending crew! Hope it's not the one whose had their governing council trashed!

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Kinda miss the forums of old when innuendo, misinformation, hype, huge erg scores, secret training in Duck Creek, spying, talking it up, playing it down, outrageous suggestions, ambit claims were all the go before it was subjected to petty moralizing from some who don't get irony, sarcasm or cheeky humor. Must be getting real old!

Is it me (must be) but isn't a real first world problem when one class complain about another class (pedestrian school aged spectators) as to who has the right of way or right to best viewpoint? Pretty sure the angle from grandstand isn't impeded by punters on concourse. Obviously pedestrians are expected to be seated and all bitumen cleared for riders. Don't tell me it's about safety issues! But really???

Yeah okay I was the one having a whinge about the spectators and yes FWP etc. Just had a bit much of teen screams that weekend I guess. Trying not to let it affect my sense of humour.

I think the two way radios might be for KT to read aloud from his fitness blog so the boys don't miss a minute of his wisdom. Or maybe MD waits for the moment the VIew 1sts look like they're enjoying themselves and then tells them how f-ing hopeless they are.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Pretty certain Grammar would have their Ancient Greek podcasts (spoken in Ancient Greek) piped into their boat. But still, now that boof has alleged two way radios, who was it? Or, like most things these days, is there no foundation to it and it's just scurrilous rumour? Be good if there was a fair dinkum breach of the rules!

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yep, it must be Gold Cup weekend.
Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 11.17.07 am.png

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pretty certain Grammar would have their Ancient Greek podcasts (spoken in Ancient Greek) piped into their boat. But still, now that boof has alleged two way radios, who was it? Or, like most things these days, is there no foundation to it and it's just scurrilous rumour? Be good if there was a fair dinkum breach of the rules!

I think latin is more likely - more boys in the VIII can speak it

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ah yes, thought I saw Loquax - or was it Anti-Loquax? stroking the 1sts. I believe they'll be launching their new boat, the Belimicus Rex, at HOTR.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
The relevance of the Gold Cup is always in question. Don't get me wrong, I like the diversity of the event and think there should be more of it in rowing in general. And there is, HOTP, Iron Cove Classics, HOTY, HOTS. All good fun and a challenge. But in a world where sport is pre-packaged, sanitised, regulated and packaged into a clean 2000m event, the timing and relevance of the Gold Cup is a pain for the GPS crews. None of them really want to do it but the weight of 130 odd years weighs on their better selves and they make it the great 'picnic' regatta event that it is. On the up side, the Men's Open 8+ was a quality field for a change but that's where it should be focused, in club land. It's back to a inconvenient time for the GPS - A week or so before the big one. As an indicator of form, it shows very little except for a how to survive dreadful conditions. Crabs, lost oars, bump racing, collisions with markers, monstrous surf, howling wind - Red Bull should sponsor it and really jazz it up, Newington are showing a lot improvement, SBHS in the 2nd 8(?) did well - and of course Jennings baled out of the MO8 as expected - KT at least made the blue kitty kats row regardless. One of the worst memories was always rowing back home after the GC. Now it's over, everyone is relieved for another year.

stern-bow

Bob McCowan (2)
The relevance of the Gold Cup is always in question. Don't get me wrong, I like the diversity of the event and think there should be more of it in rowing in general. And there is, HOTP, Iron Cove Classics, HOTY, HOTS. All good fun and a challenge. But in a world where sport is pre-packaged, sanitised, regulated and packaged into a clean 2000m event, the timing and relevance of the Gold Cup is a pain for the GPS crews. None of them really want to do it but the weight of 130 odd years weighs on their better selves and they make it the great 'picnic' regatta event that it is. On the up side, the Men's Open 8+ was a quality field for a change but that's where it should be focused, in club land. It's back to a inconvenient time for the GPS - A week or so before the big one. As an indicator of form, it shows very little except for a how to survive dreadful conditions. Crabs, lost oars, bump racing, collisions with markers, monstrous surf, howling wind - Red Bull should sponsor it and really jazz it up, Newington are showing a lot improvement, SBHS in the 2nd 8(?) did well - and of course Jennings baled out of the MO8 as expected - KT, after swanning in front of the PLC girls at least made the blue kitty kats row regardless. One of the worst memories was always rowing back home after the GC. Now it's over, everyone is relieved for another year.

jennings bailed yes but with good reason. they didnt have a boat to row in. there boat broke in the race they did at around 1pm due to the crappy conditions of gold cup u referred to

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
As bad as Gold Cup is. It provided some exciting and interesting racing.
Shore almost had a clean sweep in the GPS winning 5/6. Not sure where that Riverview 3rd IV came from hmm. It was good to see someone get close to St Augustines in the 1st IV as well with the Shore 1st IV coming home like a train. The Eights were quite interesting as well with Shore not being quite as dominant as they had previously been probably due to having 7 oars in the 2nd VIII and a bad lane draw in the First VIII at the worst time of day.
Riverview always do a pretty good job of organising the Gold Cup regatta and make it more special for spectators.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
As bad as Gold Cup is. It provided some exciting and interesting racing.
Shore almost had a clean sweep in the GPS winning 5/6. Not sure where that Riverview 3rd IV came from hmm. It was good to see someone get close to St Augustines in the 1st IV as well with the Shore 1st IV coming home like a train. The Eights were quite interesting as well with Shore not being quite as dominant as they had previously been probably due to having 7 oars in the 2nd VIII and a bad lane draw in the First VIII at the worst time of day.
Riverview always do a pretty good job of organising the Gold Cup regatta and make it more special for spectators.

More special? how?????

Would it kill them to have a couple of boys standing at the top of the hill at the fork in the road, explaining where spectators go (and advising them to get their coffee and use the toilet first)? Or even a few signs! I helped out numerous parents new to the sport who were wandering around the area with no idea where to go or who to follow in which direction.

How about they let people use the toilets down at Cova Cottage instead of trekking back up that godawful hill? Perhaps a temporary shadecloth over the concrete furnace which is supposedly a form of "seating"?

Apart from the Old Ignatians who eventually rolled up to start the BBQ after a sizeable group of rowers and supporters hung round starving for nearly 2 hours, there was zero effort on the part of Riverview to make anything special for spectators.

The whole day is set up for the comfort and convenience of Riverview and no-one else. The course is ridiculous bordering on dangerous, the races prove nothing except who got the best lane draw and the non-podium presentation of the medal-replacement "coveted silver oars" leaves even the winners feeling flat.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
More special? how?????

Would it kill them to have a couple of boys standing at the top of the hill at the fork in the road, explaining where spectators go (and advising them to get their coffee and use the toilet first)? Or even a few signs! I helped out numerous parents new to the sport who were wandering around the area with no idea where to go or who to follow in which direction.

How about they let people use the toilets down at Cova Cottage instead of trekking back up that godawful hill? Perhaps a temporary shadecloth over the concrete furnace which is supposedly a form of "seating"?

Apart from the Old Ignatians who eventually rolled up to start the BBQ after a sizeable group of rowers and supporters hung round starving for nearly 2 hours, there was zero effort on the part of Riverview to make anything special for spectators.

The whole day is set up for the comfort and convenience of Riverview and no-one else. The course is ridiculous bordering on dangerous, the races prove nothing except who got the best lane draw and the non-podium presentation of the medal-replacement "coveted silver oars" leaves even the winners feeling flat.

I have to disagree with some of what you said. I admit they could have a couple more boys but in terms of special, you tell me a location for a regatta at schoolboy level that is as interesting as this. Dangerous is a big word which and is not one i would use to describe the course. I think if you asked everyone that won a silver oar they would be fairly happy. As nice as a podium presentation would be it is also totally impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.