• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just a side note - I know I have sounded incredibly like a scots coach today (I'm not one) and so i'd like to say that on the other hand there are crews which have potential to go fast and need race experience. However there are crews which need technical improvement (training) not racing.
I do think, however, this close to the big one there is only so much you can do to technique - and a hell of a lot more you can do to improve a crew's racing ability

Sure, it's horses for courses and you must do whatever it is you feel your crew needs, BUT you do have an awful lot of other sessions available to work on that stuff without sacrificing race day; particularly when tapering to HOTR surely it's possible to forego a weights session or a fitness run in favour of a technical focus.

It's the nature of rowing competition that each regatta is sui generis. On the one hand it's great that even those crews who have placed last every time still get to compete in the big day; on the other hand it's absurd that you could theoretically skip the whole season except for HOTR. Imagine the same situation in weekly rugby, tennis, cricket or basketball fixtures. How ridiculous if the Firsts simply didn't play one week but went to a training session instead. The only reason that can't happen that is the cumulative points from each round are essential to earn your team's place in the final. Although GPS rowing does have a pointscore of sorts, no-one pays any attention to it. Hence, no incentive to compete in any regatta other than HOTR.

I'd love to see IGSSA and GPS introduce a minimum number of regattas you must compete in to qualify for HOTR.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I think that's right. Shore (or really any good crew) get greater thrills whipping opposition throughout the year in rowing and then the big one deserves a well earned thirst. Makes it taste sweeter in victory or bitter if they allow their hubris get the better. GPS and IGSAA should take it up. God knows what these schools do throughout the season except exist in their little bubbles and then fawning upon themselves to visit the little people punching it out in the real world. Oh. But I forgot, it's just about winning, isn't it?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Shore gets bragging rights with a 5:58 win over Scotch as three crews scratched.
No doubt pushed a little by Scotch, Shore just needed to do enough to stay a comfortable length and a half in front. Scotch are gonna have to use the Chairman's Lounge in between flights to make sure they're in good form at Nationals.

TBA

Frank Row (1)
Heard Scotch College were training up at Nepean, finessing their plan to take on Shore in the Schoolboy Head of the River. Shore may be laying claim to winning both conferences this year, the SHOTR and GPSHOTR. Scotch can only compete in one, so Sunday will prove to be the only opportunity to match race and see who is fastest this year. The Mexicans are having their HOTR at the same time as the Nationals. Interesting to see who wins out on Sunday.
As a long time lurker for a couple of seasons now - what absolute drivel you spout from behind your keyboard.

There is no doubt that Shore is an excellent crew and their rowing program is world best. But so is Scotch and Melbourne Grammar. Without doubt - every year those three are in contention at Nationals at 1st 8, 2nd 8 and Y10 8. It isn't by luck but continual effort to improve.

It is nice to see that these boys from these school are more gracious in victory or defeat than a couple of posters on this thread.

This topic is about school rowing. Talking about Mexicans or tin soldiers (last years thread) or private jets or airport lounges is bordering on derogatory and is totally dismisses of the effort every year these school crews do. I won't bring up the semi celebration in last years nationals where an equipment failure.

So for now on - I will be watching the rowing and ignoring RG&G

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
As a long time lurker for a couple of seasons now - what absolute drivel you spout from behind your keyboard.

There is no doubt that Shore is an excellent crew and their rowing program is world best. But so is Scotch and Melbourne Grammar. Without doubt - every year those three are in contention at Nationals at 1st 8, 2nd 8 and Y10 8. It isn't by luck but continual effort to improve.

It is nice to see that these boys from these school are more gracious in victory or defeat than a couple of posters on this thread.

This topic is about school rowing. Talking about Mexicans or tin soldiers (last years thread) or private jets or airport lounges is bordering on derogatory and is totally dismisses of the effort every year these school crews do. I won't bring up the semi celebration in last years nationals where an equipment failure.

So for now on - I will be watching the rowing and ignoring RG&G

It's important to always keep your high horse conveniently tethered nearby.

TBA

Frank Row (1)
Yes I am off topic and have nothing to reply about rowing.

Is your reply an attempt to justify your low standards if mine are too high

Have you read any of Vidal Gore works? You might find the irony of your post amusing

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes I am off topic and have nothing to reply about rowing.

Is your reply an attempt to justify your low standards if mine are too high

Have you read any of Vidal Gore works? You might find the irony of your post amusing

Have you read any Vidal Sassoon? It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

Thanks for the snortling guffaw your post gave me.

I haven't been able to locate the works of Vidal Gore but fortunately have read a few of the works of Gore Vidal, rather than simply googling the high horse phrase and discovering it mentioned in a piece in The Guardian. It's actually been used by many a literary ranconteur and wit: I first read it attributed to Sinclair Lewis but John Updike and Christopher Hitchens were also fond of it.

Yes. Your standards are way too high for this thread.

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
Backing my suggestion up. Surprise, surprise, surprise!! Yep, four of one of the eights in question race in the Schoolboy 4+ and win over Shore!! Couldn't see that coming, could we? Now that's a feel good story for the folks back home.

Agreed.

looks worse when the stroke of that IV/VIII is related to the coach...

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
We went ok a few years ago. Won the eight and first four. Sunk to a low ebb very quickly. Not sure what is going on with them.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.