• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
I think it is fair to say 1st and 2nd will belong to shore and joeys, maybe even a huge joeys upset but doubt it. 3rd to 6th really is anyones guess with view, new, scots and kings trading victories over eachother. It looks like a fight to 3rd!

p.s Tomorrow is my first head of the river in some 20 years and i do love a cold victorian bitter while watching some schoolboy boat racing, anyone know if it is a no alcohol zone? or should i just be a sneaking bugger and bring it in anyway.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sorry for my absence on the forum, I've just been busy finishing my novel which is soon to be published.

2016 - Year of the Tandem????

Predictions:
1. Shore
2. Joeys
3. Kings
4. Newington
5. Scots
6. Ignatius
7. Grammar
8. High

For those active members on the forum, who will be attending tomorrow, how about meeting just behind the grandstand for a chat and coffee?

Excited to see you all there tomorrow!

Yes, let's meet behind the grandstand. I'll be the man smoking two cigarettes.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Just looked online and 6/6 for Shore with the 3rd IV race a massive last 500m to win.
1st VIII a lot closer than expected and an upset for 2nd place with View beating Joeys.

Look forward to next season after the Nationals next weekend. Hopefully Shore can cap off a great season and take it out. Anyone know whether the Vic schools are going or not ?

MR

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Congrats to shore on another dominant display. Very consistent across all crews.
The predictability of the gps rowing is becoming a problem ie shore out front, five other schools behind them with grammar and high out the back.
Grammar especially had a tough season. Time to reasses their place in the rowing. Being beaten by 40 or 50 seconds helps no one. Maybe do something similar to the rugby and drop back to the fours to remain competitive. Gives them something realistic to aim for.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Unbackable favourites, Shore. Well done and well deserved. Think with their Year 10 crew coming up and a lot of present 1st 8 in Y11, next year could be the best ever. Can't say I'd agree Grammar dropping to fours would help. Grammar were a lightweight crew and just couldn't muscle it with the heavyweight crews. Your best 8 should always be your best 8 and that should be the aim. SBHS have stuck to that for years and I think their result is really an unsung positive result. Their time is much improved over many years. Doyle has had the same effect on Riverview, pretty much the same as he had on Joeys and started the ball rolling. Good results in both 8s and others. He'll keep building steam on the Lane Cove River. Great finish and spirit. Joeys waaaay too slow at the start and it cost them trying to make ground. Dusted.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Unbackable favourites, Shore. Well done and well deserved. Think with their Year 10 crew coming up and a lot of present 1st 8 in Y11, next year could be the best ever. Can't say I'd agree Grammar dropping to fours would help. Grammar were a lightweight crew and just couldn't muscle it with the heavyweight crews. Your best 8 should always be your best 8 and that should be the aim. SBHS have stuck to that for years and I think their result is really an unsung positive result. Their time is much improved over many years. Doyle has had the same effect on Riverview, pretty much the same as he had on Joeys and started the ball rolling. Good results in both 8s and others. He'll keep building steam on the Lane Cove River. Great finish and spirit. Joeys waaaay too slow at the start and it cost them trying to make ground. Dusted.
High disbanded their second eight and put them into the fours.

Grammar had a competitive first eight and did ok but had a weak second eight and dont have fours any more. Newington struggling for numbers too.
My point is rowers should be competing in their comparable class. Rowing against patently stonger opposition is courageous and all but must become demoralizing after a while.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Congrats to shore on another dominant display. Very consistent across all crews.
The predictability of the gps rowing is becoming a problem ie shore out front, five other schools behind them with grammar and high out the back.
Grammar especially had a tough season. Time to reasses their place in the rowing. Being beaten by 40 or 50 seconds helps no one. Maybe do something similar to the rugby and drop back to the fours to remain competitive. Gives them something realistic to aim for.

Ridiculous.
Grammar may well will themselves out of rowing given the lack of attention or concern it attracts within the school.
But there is no risk of injury in rowing unlike rugby so there is no need for them to drop down.
Doesn't look to me like they have the organisation or, more importantly, the will, but in 1977 Grammar came stone motherless in the 1st VIII. Have a look at the result in 78.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
Yes, Grammar does seem like they are struggling, getting beaten consistently by 'lower' crews such as High, and even Newington. They are definitely going to be paying the price, as there is a lack of depth in this season's Yr 10s, Yr 9 quads, and Yr 8 quads. Surprised to see them losing out to High in the Yr 10 1st VIII, and only 7 seconds in front of High in the 1st VIII. Good to see High improving drastically over the years. Perhaps a win is a round the corner, their quads winning some races this season (maybe a win in 2018-2020). Great race from Shore all the way. The 3rd IV race was spectacular, watching Shore come from behind to take it. That was rowing at its finest. Any clues as to when Armidale will start racing the VIIIs?

Great season to all!
Rowerforlife

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ridiculous.
Grammar may well will themselves out of rowing given the lack of attention or concern it attracts within the school.
But there is no risk of injury in rowing unlike rugby so there is no need for them to drop down.
Doesn't look to me like they have the organisation or, more importantly, the will, but in 1977 Grammar came stone motherless in the 1st VIII. Have a look at the result in 78.
The grammar first eight did ok but other crews were very poor. Second eight should not have been there against much stronger crews.

Take you point about 1978 being a turnaround year but i dont see a turnaround at grammar any time soon given current results. No fours and weak junior eights is very ominous for the future. Maybe this was a one off shocker.

Why would a young kid want to row if they know they have no chance of success against much bigger and better rowers. Numbers are clearly down at grammar and high so the rot has already set in.
Putting crews down a level might give them a chance to at least compete and enjoy the season. No joy in being thrashed. Its not an injury issue like rugby. Its an enjoyment issue. Other non gps schools do it cos they realise they cannot compete in first eights. Smart enough to know their limitations.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes, Grammar does seem like they are struggling, getting beaten consistently by 'lower' crews such as High, and even Newington. They are definitely going to be paying the price, as there is a lack of depth in this season's Yr 10s, Yr 9 quads, and Yr 8 quads. Surprised to see them losing out to High in the Yr 10 1st VIII, and only 7 seconds in front of High in the 1st VIII. Good to see High improving drastically over the years. Perhaps a win is a round the corner, their quads winning some races this season (maybe a win in 2018-2020). Great race from Shore all the way. The 3rd IV race was spectacular, watching Shore come from behind to take it. That was rowing at its finest. Any clues as to when Armidale will start racing the VIIIs?

Great season to all!
Rowerforlife
Tas are best doing their thing in the fours for a while and developing until they are ready for eights. Could be a long wait.

bow seat

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ridiculous.

I agree with your view IS on perhaps the sport isn't getting enough attention, and it only takes one good year for any school to get back up on top ( 2011 is a perfect example).

However I do have to say "but there is no risk of injury in rowing" quote is a little far fetched. Repetitive strain injuries are way too common amongst rowers and I would be willing to bet hard money that you wouldn't have to look very far at all for people who have suffered bad injuries from rowing. I'm not here to say it's as bad as rugby, however to suggest there is no risk is to be fair complete rubbish

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
Wow what a HOTR typical shore did the business and walked away 6/6. Great to see riverview brake the 4th place curse and even at one point look to be pushing up on the shore. For newington back to back 5th places is something to build on for the coming seasons. Kings was a real suprise I thought they would be higher in the placings. P.s I did manage some sneeky victorian bitters inside ;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree with your view IS on perhaps the sport isn't getting enough attention, and it only takes one good year for any school to get back up on top ( 2011 is a perfect example).

However I do have to say "but there is no risk of injury in rowing" quote is a little far fetched. Repetitive strain injuries are way too common amongst rowers and I would be willing to bet hard money that you wouldn't have to look very far at all for people who have suffered bad injuries from rowing. I'm not here to say it's as bad as rugby, however to suggest there is no risk is to be fair complete rubbish

There's no risk of injury arising from a difference in the quality and size of rowers in one crew and those in another crew. The type of injuries are unrelated to the competition and may even be more of a problem for the more successful crews.
To have no IVs is something that the school should inquire into: all but year 10 are forced to go the HOTR but the boatshed isn't respecting that commitment.
Presumably next year they will have nothing worthy of a 1st VIII since it will have to be made up of the Year 10 VIII if there are no IVs.
They are reaping what they have sown in the shambolic junior shed.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
There's no risk of injury arising from a difference in the quality and size of rowers in one crew and those in another crew. The type of injuries are unrelated to the competition and may even be more of a problem for the more successful crews.
To have no IVs is something that the school should inquire into: all but year 10 are forced to go the HOTR but the boatshed isn't respecting that commitment.
Presumably next year they will have nothing worthy of a 1st VIII since it will have to be made up of the Year 10 VIII if there are no IVs.
They are reaping what they have sown in the shambolic junior shed.
Agree on the major problems with the junior shed flowing thru to the seniors. It seems grammar has dropped the ball big time with junior rowing. A huge shame as beating shore in the junior eights was a highlight of my rowing career :cool:

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I hope we're not on a return trip to Snoresville - back to the days where Shore crosses the line a length ahead of everyone else and the real competition is for 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

My early prediction of a Scots win seemed rational based on their 2015 performance but their season just got worse and worse as it went on. Tears of a ranga.

Riverview have broken through and could be looking at a big upswing. MD and his 2nd VIII coach are polar opposites in coaching style and personality but seem to balance each other out. Potentially they may be able to convert the junior talent into senior depth which has been a problem for many years.

Joeys were still up there in every division and with strong Year 10 VIIIs and quite a few newbies in the 1st VIII it will be interesting to watch how they approach next season. There's no doubt that last year's win was like poking a hornet's nest - they got Shore very very upset so it was inevitable that yesterday's results would come out the way they did.

King's, Newington, Joeys, View and Shore all have access to great resources, both human and material. Any of them has the capacity to excel in rowing. Clearly Shore shed makes choices in preparation for HOTR which other schools are not prepared to make.

In 2016-17 I really hope Rowing NSW figures out a simple, quick way of checking ID for each seat in a boat as they line up at the start. And I'd love to see more of what we had a glimpse of last season: lots of different schools up in the results, not just one dominating all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.