• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Fairly uninspiring

Sydney Uni v Eastwood, Sat LIVE 3pm 7TWO – 14k, Sun delayed 830am FOX SPORTS – 12k
Warringah v Easts, Sat LIVE 3pm 7TWO – 15k, Sat delayed 10pm FOX SPORTS – 6k
Manly v Warringah, Sat LIVE 3pm 7TWO – 8k, Sat delayed 10pm FOX SPORTS – 2k
West Harbour v Gordon, Sat LIVE 3pm 7TWO – 10k, Sat delayed 10pm FOX SPORTS – 3k
Sydney Uni v Norths, Sat LIVE 3pm 7TWO – 14k, Sat delayed 10pm FOX SPORTS – 7k
Randwick v Easts, Sat LIVE 3pm 7mate – 10k, Sat delayed 10pm FOX SPORTS – 6k
Norths v Warringah - LIVE Sat 3pm 7mate – 6k, Norths v Warringah - Delayed Sun 930am Fox Sports – 3k

But, but, but...according to some this broadcast is a sign of the overwhelming popularity of the Shute Shield.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
With numbers that low - they are kind of meaningless in terms of popularity.

For some of those broadcast numbers, somebody on the sample panel will have flicked passed the chanel and it will have been picked up.

Nobody on the sample panel has actually watched the game the whole way through

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
But, but, but.according to some this broadcast is a sign of the overwhelming popularity of the Shute Shield.

It is pretty popular, based on attendances. And the quality of rugby is pretty good. Is there a better domestic club competition in Australia?

And it is on both FTA and Fox Sports. They must think it is popular enough.

If you don't think it is worth watching, that is your loss. It is bloody good entertainment.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It is pretty popular, based on attendances. And the quality of rugby is pretty good. Is there a better domestic club competition in Australia?

And it is on both FTA and Fox Sports. They must think it is popular enough.

If you don't think it is worth watching, that is your loss. It is bloody good entertainment.

How big do you think those crowds are? Maybe a couple of thousand outside of the Manly/Warringah derbies. Nothing earth shattering. As for the broadcast. You are aware that they supply the telecast for free right? Free content is free content. Those ratings numbers don't lie.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The numbers were really good last year so I'm not sure what has changed.

FWIW, I like Club footy but not to watch at home - I love getting out there, but I'm not able to do so often.

If I'm watching sport at 3pm on a Saturday on tv, it's more likely to be live AFL

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The numbers were really good last year so I'm not sure what has changed.

FWIW, I like Club footy but not to watch at home - I love getting out there, but I'm not able to do so often.

If I'm watching sport at 3pm on a Saturday on tv, it's more likely to be live AFL
May be as simple as there was a Shute shield fanatic on the panel last year, and this year they have been replaced

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
just watching the state of origin rugby league boys walk out onto the MCG in front of about 80,000 - first of a series of three matches - neither team from this state. Advertising all week . People at my work who cant spell rugby league are going.
Oh and its FTA so available to the broader community
Rugby Australia - what are you doing to advertise the Wallabies v Ireland 3 game test? Why are we playing at 30,000 capacity AAMI park ? Why dont we have 80,000 fans coming to watch that game? Come on Raelene - what are you doing about it? You said you brought the big NRL ideas over with you - let's see them

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Lou,

You do know that rugby league is actually much more popular than our game in this country? More popularity = much more money for promotion; huge FTA and Foxtel exposure; big crowds.

Seriously, what ideas can we pinch from the NRL? Their rule book is designed by them, specifically for Australian sensibilities. Our rule book is not. They have had 100 years of dominance over our code, they were professional throughout all those years, their clubs were supported by huge poker machine palaces from the sixties on. Their national competition is built on the foundations of what had been a very popular Sydney club competition.

Even State of Origin was an accident; it was meant to be a bit of an exhibition match, but quickly became a genuine war. Queenslanders had felt slighted by NSW and its domination of the sport for many years, with a lot of Queenslanders being forced to play for Sydney clubs, because that was where the money was. And then they were chosen to play for NSW, who dominated the traditional interstate clashes, naturally enough.

You simply cannot reverse the tide of history by wishing for change. Or talking about it. What would you do, given that we are in the real world, not a fantasy one where dreams come true.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Lou,

You do know that rugby league is actually much more popular than our game in this country? More popularity = much more money for promotion; huge FTA and Foxtel exposure; big crowds.

Seriously, what ideas can we pinch from the NRL? Their rule book is designed by them, specifically for Australian sensibilities. Our rule book is not. They have had 100 years of dominance over our code, they were professional throughout all those years, their clubs were supported by huge poker machine palaces from the sixties on. Their national competition is built on the foundations of what had been a very popular Sydney club competition.

Even State of Origin was an accident; it was meant to be a bit of an exhibition match, but quickly became a genuine war. Queenslanders had felt slighted by NSW and its domination of the sport for many years, with a lot of Queenslanders being forced to play for Sydney clubs, because that was where the money was. And then they were chosen to play for NSW, who dominated the traditional interstate clashes, naturally enough.

You simply cannot reverse the tide of history by wishing for change. Or talking about it. What would you do, given that we are in the real world, not a fantasy one where dreams come true.

Man, being a director of Rugby Australia must be the sweetest gig in the world. It doesn't matter whether your competitions make money or not, whether your teams win or not, or whether people are watching your matches or not. Everything is outside of your hands and you're never accountable for anything, so when all the trends for the game are going against you you don't even need to bother attempting to rectify them. Just turn up to the board meetings, collect your salary, and do the occasional puff-piece interview. Sounds pretty great.

Honestly, if everything you say is true, then we may as well just disband RA and the state unions and let anyone who wants to play rugby just organise their own matches in the local park. Sure, it would be completely amateur and no one would watch it, but why not just bring on the inevitable, given the popularity of League and AFL and so on?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm sure you're right, Aurelius, but don't forget the boys and girls at Rugby Australia's top table are quality people.

B2LxqGE.png

Take this fine figure of a man, and doesn't he look good in a suit!

Confident. Distinguished. Did you know that he's two metres tall?

If he's not the best fellow to make a well-placed private phone call during rugby's broadcast rights negotiations, no one is.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Lou,

What we can learn from them is what works, and then stop living in the bloody fantasy one the RA have us in.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Amazon just purchased the EPL rights for I guess streaming.

Interesting
It's a bit of a strange deal. They have won the rights to 20 games over 2 weekends only, with the vast majority of games on the existing paytv channels.

Prem league testing the waters

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I read somewhere (and I will try and get a link to the article) that the stats for younger kids was something like:

- 70 - 80% have a Netflix type of subscription
- Only about 10 - 15% watch free to air TV
- And actually only about 10% own a TV

Now I don't know how accurate this study was but it makes total sense if companies like Amazon are heading into this direction.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I read somewhere (and I will try and get a link to the article) that the stats for younger kids was something like:

Now I don't know how accurate this study was but it makes total sense if companies like Amazon are heading into this direction.

I'm a millennial and those stats are fairly consistent in my experience. Though I do own a TV but hardly use it unless I'm streaming something from my laptop via my Chromecast or watching Rugby. I also like many tend to get my news primarily via my Twitter feed where I follow a number of news media outlets (ABC, SBS, NY Times etc.).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Anecdotally, i am a millennial, don't own a TV (use my computer for television typed services). I stream Foxtel for sport at the moment, and have access to Netflix.

Fucking hate free to air. It's garbage. I actively avoid it. Particularly the news.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
We stopped watching Free to Air last year actually, best thing ever IMO, only watch the Rugby on FoxNow, everything else on my computer,

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Anecdotally, i am a millennial, don't own a TV (use my computer for television typed services). I stream Foxtel for sport at the moment, and have access to Netflix.

Fucking hate free to air. It's garbage. I actively avoid it. Particularly the news.

The ABC is pretty good. Maybe it is a generational thing. 730 report. Stan Grant. Insiders. Outsiders. The Drum occasionally. Compass. Annabel Crabbe. Back Roads. Charlie Pickering, Tom Gleeson, Kitty Flanagan. On and on. I could name a lot more. And we do have Foxtel, incidentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.