• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Netball canned their Trans-Tasman structure in favour of a entirely domestic competition. The other competitions feature exactly 1 team from New Zealand. Barely qualifying as Trans-Tasman.

A bit like being barely pregnant, eh? Maybe the sport of netball here just outgrew the need for a Trans-Tasman element?

Unlike us, we would be growing from ground zero. Unless you count the NRC, that barnstorming success?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Might be the model for RA. One Aussie side in the NZ comp when all other Aussie teams join WA?

Or we could just decide to set up a proper Trans-Tasman competition which New Zealanders would want to support. Lots of them living in Australia, apparently. And all, or most of them, already rugby supporters. And of course the sport gets huge ratings in New Zealand, even for games involving an Australian side.

Nah. That makes too much sense.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Chiefs v Tahs - 81k - highest rating for a while
Reds v Highlanders - 63k
Crusaders v Hurricanes - 35k

Panthers v Dragons did 366k. I think that's the highest rating for any football game for the year

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Reds v Highlanders - 63k

Panthers v Dragons did 366k. I think that's the highest rating for any football game for the year

And the ground was sold out.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Reds v Highlanders - 63k

A couple of good performances last week and ratings go up, hopefully they keep going up from now on

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Or we could just decide to set up a proper Trans-Tasman competition which New Zealanders would want to support. Lots of them living in Australia, apparently. And all, or most of them, already rugby supporters. And of course the sport gets huge ratings in New Zealand, even for games involving an Australian side.

Nah. That makes too much sense.

It's a decent idea if it includes a mechanism to even out the playing talent across the competition. A trans-tasman comp with 5 teams each (or even 4 Australian), and with current eligibility rules will continue to be dominated by Kiwi teams, just like Super Rugby is now.

Then there's the matter of the NZRU not wanting a trans-tasman competition because they want regular season matches against South African teams.

If they will not move from that position post 2020 what do you think is a better option, stick to Super Rugby roughly as it is now or try a majority Australian competition (6-8 Australian based teams including our Super Rugby sides and the Force plus a Fijian side and maybe a couple of teams from Asia)?

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Very very interesting read.

AFL ratings down 14% season to date. NRL holding firm

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...0180527-p4zhsd.html?__twitter_impression=true

From the article.

Rugby Australia’s closure of the Western Force, together with the NRL’s decision to open the 2018 season with a double header at Perth’s new stadium, has seen a 17 percent increase in overall viewership in Perth over the first half of 2018 to 860,245 cumulative viewers. Free-to-air is up 37.5 percent in Perth. By comparison, the AFL is down by 8 percent overall in the Perth market.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I read the article on the Brumbies crowds and it does worry me, to be honest all Aus Super Rugby sides are struggling at the moment on that front BUT let's not blame the cold, rain, no roof etc. I put this down purely to years of atrocious performances and poor coaching. older fans have moved on and unfortunately very few new fans have come on board.

I can only speak for myself but it was every very difficult to drag mates (Who actually like rugby) to a Tahs game, the feedback had nothing to do with RA or cutting the force or something else, it was basically "We are shit". We find ourselves in a impossible situation now as unless we win quite a few games in a row people are just not going to come back. The Brumbies use to be one of the smartest sides in Super Rugby, they played this awesome brand of footy that was exciting to watch, what happened?!

Can only hope the Brumbies get their mojo back Aus rugby needs them to be firing!
Yep Jamie years ago was easy to drag mates to a tahs game. Now next to impossible and preference to go to Shute shield game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep Jamie years ago was easy to drag mates to a tahs game. Now next to impossible and preference to go to Shute shield game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who would not prefer to go to a club rugby game, on a sunny Saturday arvo? Easy to get to, easy to find a park, cheap, good fun.

Then go home and watch a game in the comfort of your own lounge chair?

Are we all absolutely certain that Soup is the problem here?

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
It's not, some of the rugby this year has been fantastic however when teams really need to turn up an win they do quite the opposite, for instance:

I dragged a couple of mates to the Tahs v Lions game and although I am not saying that the Tahs were going to win that one BUT to not score a single point?! F......k! My mates were laughing (I wasn't)

The Brumbies butchering that game against the Crusaders, The Rebels not getting the job done against the Jaguares, etc, etc. In fact the Rebels were building nicely and from memory 17K in attendance vs the Hurricanes only to completely loose the plot in the second half! Those home games were crucial to build the crowds.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
14,452 at Suncorp tonight for Reds v Tahs.

Thought there was more than that on TV.

Thorn has the team playing better but hasn't bought the crowd back - down by more than 4000 from same game, same venue last year

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Haven't seen a number but good turnout for Chiefs v Crusaders, barely an empty seat in either stand between the 22's & a decent enough scattering at both ends.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Highlanders v Hurricanes - 48k
Blues v Rebels - 31k
Chiefs v Crusaders - 48k
Reds v Tahs - 90k

Wentworthville v NZ in Intrust Super cup - 48k

Status
Not open for further replies.