• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Agreed ^^ also perfect for those tough life situations when you gotta go watch the rugby at the stadium at 7:45pm, but the game you were watching on tv still hasn't finished yet, so you can watch the closing quarter on your phone on the train. The app works really well.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Pro 14 crowd update - South African Teams
- Low point - Southern Kings v Leinster - attendance 1142

That must be getting to terminal level and really strongly suggests that South Africa probably won't want to move all their teams to the Pro14 anytime soon

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Pro 14 crowd update - South African Teams
- Low point - Southern Kings v Leinster - attendance 1142

That must be getting to terminal level and really strongly suggests that South Africa probably won't want to move all their teams to the Pro14 anytime soon

That is just a shameful number. You could play the St Ives under 12s against Leinster and get at least 3k in Sydney I would have thought.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Kayo Sports is going fantastic and is News Limited's best move in a long time.

It's actually one of the cleverest branding exercises imo too - instead of calling it fox streaming and making it super obvious you can just downgrade your fox subscription to a sports streaming package for 1/5 of the price you rebrand and give it a name like Kayo Sports, which allows you to price discriminate and attract younger people who have less money but avoid losing your full paying baby boomer market as much.

It will help ratings and has 120,000 subscribers so far, but is on a huge recruitment drive. It's got to be good for rugby.

The saddest part of all this saga about cutting teams and adding teams for ratings is we are going to end up back at the 2011 Super XV status quo more a less. IT was a setup that wasn't perfect but most people were happy with - except for the deluded South Africans.

South Africa's stupid folly with extra teams should convince Australia their administrators perhaps even worse judgement than ours

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It would seem like an exciting idea at first, but I think watching professional Irish rugby players run riot over some pre-teens would get depressing quickly.
It would work better against a Brisbane U13's team, Reds fans are used to being run riot over. At least the U13's may have a game plan

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
So as many expected and to prove some optimists wrong - NRL viewers apparently not only not disenfranchised with the sport but quite enamoured with a bit of casual DV, DUI, D(rugs) and Distribution of home videos. There must be a 5th D..
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/2acadf9d3186ffcb3cea434c8deaaa6d

To be fair, I think that sort of off-field behaviour is just something that NRL fans price in now. It's not like the latest controversies are telling the fans anything they didn't already know about some of the players' behaviour, so as long as fans still enjoy the sport itself I'd frankly be surprised if there was a significant downturn in their ratings.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
My (perhaps slim) hope is that off field drama won't hurt NRL immediately rather it will cause much more insidious damage. No amount of controversy will stop people watching entertainment, we all know that, it's too passive. But maybe parents will be dissuaded from more active forms of support like signing their kids up to junior league etc etc. So, we won't see the damage for another 10 years.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
12k at the Brumbies / Tahs game. Granted it was a friday night game but the games used to attract 20k....
Gut feel is crowds and TV ratings up a bit on last year but Aus teams need to keep improving to sustain it.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
on the league thing. Going by my wife and her friends recent comments about the game - I think they'll lose a chunk of the decision makers who decide if kids play . watch that game.
I'm done and don't expect to watch a game ever again - just don't want anything to do with it.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
So as many expected and to prove some optimists wrong - NRL viewers apparently not only not disenfranchised with the sport but quite enamoured with a bit of casual DV, DUI, D(rugs) and Distribution of home videos. There must be a 5th D..
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/2acadf9d3186ffcb3cea434c8deaaa6d
Defecation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Schloss
In 1999, he was the subject of defecation in his shoe by drunken South Sydney teammate Julian O'Neill, who infamously boasted of the incident with the alliterative line, "I just shat in Schlossy's shoe."

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
12k at the Brumbies / Tahs game. Granted it was a friday night game but the games used to attract 20k..
Gut feel is crowds and TV ratings up a bit on last year but Aus teams need to keep improving to sustain it.

ACT Government has made the market harder for all teams in Canberra with things like paying for the AFL to come to town. With a relatively small population even small events can have impact on what crowd the Brumbies can attract. Friday nights has never attracted big numbers. AFL W @Manuka played at the same time as the Brumbies got 4500K. Canberra is having its festival run ATM with Enlighten etc so with 3 weeks of consecutive weekend events and Skyfire on (this) Saturday night it wasn't a bad crown for a team that not really been that appealing to watch.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
ACT Government has made the market harder for all teams in Canberra with things like paying for the AFL to come to town. With a relatively small population even small events can have impact on what crowd the Brumbies can attract. Friday nights has never attracted big numbers. AFL W @Manuka played at the same time as the Brumbies got 4500K. Canberra is having its festival run ATM with Enlighten etc so with 3 weeks of consecutive weekend events and Skyfire on (this) Saturday night it wasn't a bad crown for a team that not really been that appealing to watch.

Doesn’t seem like there has been an appealing night to watch super rugby in Canberra in the past 5 years though?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
but Supe is a autumn really. only a small part goes into winter.
I took Mrs Crashy and junior crashy to the Argentina test match in june a couple of years back and while freezing at 4 degrees I wouldn't have said it wasn't pleasant. Though the locals who were sitting under a mountain of blankets behind us clearly had the good oil.
Agree that the stadium is way too far out of town - a 25k seater in Civic / near the lake / swamp would be sweet.