• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
See Thorn, Brad

Thorn chose Kangaroos and broncos in mungo and saders and All blacks in rugby.
Ponga selects Kangaroos and All blacks. he learnt his trade at Churchie playing Rugby.
This type of person love to win not develop the game.
my local junior club had Campo at 56 years of age giving junior players the benefit of his knowledge today.....for free.
My grandson loved it. real Rugby people giving back, not mercinaries.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All Blacks are a brand which eclipses anything in either rugby code in the Asia pacific, its absolutely no surprise that anyone with any kind of kiwi allegiance would want to represent them..

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
no one would dispute the All Blacks being a world class BRAND, but how do you challenge their position if players choose them at the expense of the club, school , country that developed them. it annoys me that 2nd and 3rd generation Aussies with kiwi heritige are aussie in all things except Rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Churchie treated Ponga as much as a commodity as he treated them an opportunity, he owed rugby union nothing.
Mercenaries only exist if there are parties willing to pay them, and rugby union is one of those parties.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Equivalent game last year had pretty much the same crowd and rated just 58k o_O. 90k for the return fixture

Was up against a lot more than last night, but still, good improvement

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
From what I can find from the games we've hosted in Aus where up around 10% (I think I've got all of the games) from last season Aus average of 71k to a touch over 78k. If the Aus teams can manage to continue to win or at the very least make the opposition have to really work for it hopefully we can maintain if not top 80k. Which would be great leading into TV talks.
Just had a look at my records
2018 average for Aus games only was 55k. 2017 was 51k. So far in 2019, we're averaging 85k

Total of all games (including Sunwolves, NZ and Aus games) up to round 4
2018 average 55k, 2017 average 52k. So far in 2019 we're averaging 70k

Early start helps, and it's obviously not an apples for apples comparison because low ratings don't get reported, but 10% might even be underselling it.

Pretty much all of the improvement is Tahs and Rebels home games

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Just had a look at my records
2018 average for Aus games only was 55k. 2017 was 51k. So far in 2019, we're averaging 85k

Total of all games (including Sunwolves, NZ and Aus games) up to round 4
2018 average 55k, 2017 average 52k. So far in 2019 we're averaging 70k

Early start helps, and it's obviously not an apples for apples comparison because low ratings don't get reported, but 10% might even be underselling it.

Pretty much all of the improvement is Tahs and Rebels home games

I was more or less basing that off the SMH report about the average last season and off the games leading into the weekend. But I like your numbers even more. Interestingly your numbers show both tracking up over the past two and a bit seasons. Up 8% from 2017 to 2018 for Aus only games and 6% for all games in our time zones. This weekend hopefully should see another good figure from the Brumbies/Tahs game and something solid enough from the Sunwolves/Reds. It's a shame the Rebels are off on tour.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
NRL are having some pretty serious image issues. Hopefully that helps. Can't see the AFL train slowing down though.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I was more or less basing that off the SMH report about the average last season and off the games leading into the weekend. But I like your numbers even more. Interestingly your numbers show both tracking up over the past two and a bit seasons. Up 8% from 2017 to 2018 for Aus only games and 6% for all games in our time zones. This weekend hopefully should see another good figure from the Brumbies/Tahs game and something solid enough from the Sunwolves/Reds. It's a shame the Rebels are off on tour.

The 2017 -> 2018 improvement was almost entirely due to no more 9:30pm Force home games which historically rated poorly.

This year is something else, across the board rises, but especially Tahs and Rebels games are way up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I said this on Twitter, but I wonder if Kayo has anything to do with it. It's now cheaper and easier to watch the games than ever before - has to be a good thing for all ratings, not just Super Rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I said this on Twitter, but I wonder if Kayo has anything to do with it. It's now cheaper and easier to watch the games than ever before - has to be a good thing for all ratings, not just Super Rugby.
Still havent tried it. Is there any point while i can still mooch my old mans Foxtel Go thingo?