• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 TV ratings and crowd numbers

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fair enough.

But expect you won't be seeing such figures any time soon.

Nor Kayo numbers watching soup games, for that mattter.

Eventually this sort of stuff might become public but, frankly, it's not in their interest to do that right now.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Fair enough.

But expect you won't be seeing such figures any time soon.

Nor Kayo numbers, for that mattter.

Eventually this sort of stuff might become public but, frankly, it's not in their interest to do that right now.

No, someone actually found those over on The Roar after a Soccer fan stated that most A-League fans had jumped across to that service. The figures didn't support that.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
No, someone actually found those over on The Roar after a Soccer fan stated that most A-League fans had jumped across to that service. The figures didn't support that.

I edited my post to make it rugby specific, but you beat me to it!

Nevertheless, I'm still interested.

Summarise the data you found in one post.

The question then is: What are the rugby Kayo viewing figures - and are they boosting the recent Soup ratings posted earlier in this thread ?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I edited my post to make it rugby specific, but you beat me to it!

Nevertheless, I'm still interested.

Summarise the data you found in one post.

The question then is: What are the rugby Kayo viewing figures - and are they boosting the recent Soup ratings posted earlier in this thread ?

According to this poster it the the week he found had Super Rugby at a little over 10k on Kayo. Which certainly would help the averages. So they certainly are having an effect. They're not accounting for the total increase that Strewth has alluded. Well, at least not the figures posted on that particular thread at that stage.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Kayo views are likely having no impact on reported Foxtel ratings because of how they are collected.

Oztam sample people who have Foxtel to work out the ratings. If you have kayo, just like if you haven't got any paytv, you aren't being asked.

Ratings up = more people who have Foxtel and are on the oztam sample are watching rugby.

Ratings =/= viewers

See post #2 on this thread

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well that's a shame about Kayo then. Just speaking for myself, I never could watch Soup legally because I couldn't justify the expenses of foxtel, now Kayo is definitely worth it and they have one more viewer watching all the games and seeing all the ads. I think there'd be a fair few people like me out there. Can't imagine anyone under the age of 30 actually buying a new foxtel subscription.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well that's a shame about Kayo then. Just speaking for myself, I never could watch Soup legally because I couldn't justify the expenses of foxtel, now Kayo is definitely worth it and they have one more viewer watching all the games and seeing all the ads. I think there'd be a fair few people like me out there. Can't imagine anyone under the age of 30 actually buying a new foxtel subscription.

It'll take time for the platform to take root. We'll see how they are tracking this time next year.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Oztam sample people who have Foxtel to work out the ratings. If you have kayo, just like if you haven't got any paytv, you aren't being asked.

Yep, you're quite right. And it is a sample - a subset of less than a thousand, iirc - that they use for Oztam ratings.

Plus we're likely more interested in viewers on all platforms than those ratings per se.

I believe their Video Player Measurent works differently. What they've said:

OzTAM’s VPM Report is a world-leading approach to capturing census level data on exactly what content is being played on connected devices.​

… broadcasters currently include ABC, Seven Network, Nine Network, Network Ten, SBS and Foxtel.​

So, they take some fine-grained data on streams. A Top 5 round-number summary of which WCR has linked and it does list Brumbies v Chiefs having around six thousand being connected across the duration of the game.

Click pic to embiggen

According to this poster it the the week he found had Super Rugby at a little over 10k on Kayo.

That link obviously doesn't have Kayo breakdown figures, though. Where are they available, assuming they are available?

Nor anything on My Football Live, which I don't think is in the net.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
There was a mention of Charity Shield. Streams seem much of a much year-on-year:

fvNQ2xr.png

kUYcrzn.png

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yep, you're quite right. And it is a sample - a subset of less than a thousand, iirc - that they use for Oztam ratings.

Plus we're likely more interested in viewers on all platforms than those ratings per se.

I believe their Video Player Measurent works differently. What they've said:

OzTAM’s VPM Report is a world-leading approach to capturing census level data on exactly what content is being played on connected devices.​

… broadcasters currently include ABC, Seven Network, Nine Network, Network Ten, SBS and Foxtel.​

So, they take some fine-grained data on streams. A Top 5 round-number summary of which WCR has linked and it does list Brumbies v Chiefs having around six thousand being connected across the duration of the game.

Click pic to embiggen

That link obviously doesn't have Kayo breakdown figures, though. Where are they available, assuming they are available?

Nor anything on My Football Live.

My understanding is that they represent the combined numbers. As for the My Football App. I suspect we'll likely never see anything from them. Which we can make of it what we will but I suspect that if it were going gangbusters something would have been reported about it.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
if it were going gangbusters something would have been reported about it.
And we're back to square one. :)

I think you'll be waiting a while for Kayo reporting as well.

Particularly in Super Rugby's case since even combined data (assuming kayo is included) won't make the cut once the major sports kick off.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Still havent tried it. Is there any point while i can still mooch my old mans Foxtel Go thingo?

I have really enjoyed it. It can play on Apple TV, so I can watch it on the bigger screen (as opposed to laptop/ipad viewing).

It's also heaps more functional for sport viewing - can watch from kick-off with no spoilers at any time, a greater variety of on-demand games/docos, no ads or other bullshit.

They also do these neat 10-15 minute 'match highlight' packages, which is great for catching up on games when you don't want to wade through the whole thing. Have been doing it a lot for non-Aussie Super games and the Indian ODIs.

I've only had it for a month but thus far I've been really happy with it, and would say it's superior to the Foxtel Go mooching experience (which is what I was doing too). No buffering/stream issues either.