• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A make over for Quade Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I had a reply to my article 'The statistical Case for Quade Cooper' on reddit that I thought had some valid points. Should Quade hire a PR consultant to put forward his good points. He's a self made man. He does charity work. He has lost a great part of the public through his indiscretions should he be quietly trying to change his image?
The original reply
Great Article. Thanks for the post. It seems you may be the original author, so I'd like to comment on the submission.
The thing I find about Cooper is that people are always going to hate him, despite his exceptional passing game. I honestly think he has the best eye for distribution we have seen in the last 10 years (He has many weaknesses, but it is undeniable that he can throw one hell of a flat pass). In any case, I think most Aussies (outside QLD) hate Cooper because he speaks very poorly and looks working-class. He stole a laptop, and Aus has treated him eversince as a bastard love-child; He has the right stuff, but it has come in the wrong packaging.
The thing I find about Union in Aus, is that we have a very strange relationship with it. It is undeniably, almost exclusively, a product of two GPS systems and that's it. Feeder programs are very light outside these two systems. And I think that the "market audience" of Union is consequently middle-class. And I think most of us take a little pleasure in it not being the stupid game, this puts Cooper is in a tough position, because he's not going to change, and we're not.
This is where I think Cooper's management should identify the problem, and change Cooper's tac. We all know Fox is a PR forum, and they print as much content as Nasser can throw at them, so Nasser therefore has an ability to control the circus, and this is what he's been doing, but poorly. He should be hiring a marketing firm, painting Cooper as the underdog, the working class prodigy, and we'll buy into that shit hard. Beale's a very similar player, but our cultural guilt gives him a break because it hedges on the Aboriginal issue. Cooper doesn't have that problem (or benefit). So instead of Nasser painting Cooper as a Larkham Heir, or Mundine Hire, should give Coops a bit of credit and build him up as a Self-made man; which is fundamentally is. Change the conversation, call Cooper a Pleb, and call him the fish-out-of-water, but make it clear that he is the best fucking land-fish in the world. This would tap into the national mindset, and we'll accept him. And we'll finally see him play with confidence and genius that I do believe he has.
The one thing GPS boys love more than Middle-Class ethics, are RM William Boots. In other words Authenticity.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Ridiculous, chippy, paranoia. I don't think there's a single person in Australian rugby who hates him. There'd be a good proportion who wouldn't trust him to lead the Wallabies around after some of his efforts in 2011, but that's a different issue entirely.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I would say there are a fair amount of people worldwide who hate him. He's the most polarizing figure on world rugby.

I think he's a young guy who fucking loves playing footy for a living, has deep roots in QLD and gives a ton back to the local community as well as doing a huge amount of work to promote juniors rugby locally.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Every time there is a poll about who should be the Wallabies flyhalf, Cooper wins. The ex-coaches on RH all picked him.

I think he's still super popular. I also think that most people's negative response to Quade's comments last year had almost nothing to do with working class anything and almost everything to do with what he said.

In short, if Quade is going to hire a PR rep it better be someone with Robbie's ear because it's not the rugby public that's holding him back.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Personally I think Cooper has already undertaken a massive make over since last years comments. He has had two in the past 4 years, The first being when McKenzie started at the Reds and he went from "the arrogant dickhead who always drops the ball with a douchebag haircut" to a flyhalf who not only played respectably but also seemed to take on a more mature appearance (I suspect Link had something to do with this).

Unfortunately he was still fairly arrogant and portrayed a 'too cool' attitude on and off the field and lacked a little in the speaking department (It still wasn't too bad, he was better than Robbie Deans is).

2013 has proved to be another makeover though. He makes extremely insightful and well presented/ spoken comments on how the reds have or need to play and he has also become alot smarter when it comes to commenting on the national team and his selection.

On top of that, his attitude on the field is noticeably more mature. He looks at his team mates when he talks to them. He actually replies and chats and smiles at his kicking/ strategic water boy that comes on the field (anyone know that blokes name?). In the past he would just saunter off and nod as if to say "yeh mate i already know, bugger off".

You obviously can't completely change a person but I think him, Khoder Nasser and link have made a real effort to further his development this year. I hope this translates to better performance under pressure but at the moment it is doing wonders for his play at super rugby level.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I would say there are a fair amount of people worldwide who hate him. He's the most polarizing figure on world rugby.

I think he's a young guy who fucking loves playing footy for a living, has deep roots in QLD and gives a ton back to the local community as well as doing a huge amount of work to promote juniors rugby locally.
Like who? There wouldn't be anyone on here, there wouldn't be anyone on PR, there wouldn't be anyone on any major rugby forum you can think of. The majority of the Australian public probably don't know who he is, let alone know him well enough to hate him. If you're talking about the 'yellow jersey' interview, there would have been outrage no matter who said it. If it had been JOC (James O'Connor) who said that there would have been exactly the same reaction - and suggestions that he get a PR advisor would have been laughed out the door.

There actually isn't a conspiracy against Cooper you know?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Like who? There wouldn't be anyone on here, there wouldn't be anyone on PR, there wouldn't be anyone on any major rugby forum you can think of. The majority of the Australian public probably don't know who he is, let alone know him well enough to hate him. If you're talking about the 'yellow jersey' interview, there would have been outrage no matter who said it. If it had been JOC (James O'Connor) who said that there would have been exactly the same reaction - and suggestions that he get a PR advisor would have been laughed out the door.

There actually isn't a conspiracy against Cooper you know?

I think 'hate' maybe translates to a tendency for people be anti him when it comes to wallaby selection. Less hateing him personally. The Kiwis hate him though, thats for sure! Although I would guess thats because they know he can rip them apart... I personally believe their actions at the 2011 were indicative of horrendous sportsmanship - simply because he had a niggle with their beloved Richie McCaw.

Nevertheless, His actions in the past have not supported him as the mature player we need in the Green and Gold so I think that's what people mean when they say 'hate'

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think 'hate' maybe translates to a tendency for people be anti him when it comes to wallaby selection. Less hateing him personally. The Kiwis hate him though, thats for sure! Although I would guess thats because they know he can rip them apart. I personally believe their actions at the 2011 were indicative of horrendous sportsmanship - simply because he had a niggle with their beloved Richie McCaw.

Nevertheless, His actions in the past have not supported him as the mature player we need in the Green and Gold so I think that's what people mean when they say 'hate'
The Kiwis don't respect him at all, at least not at Test level. It's the Spencer thing all over again, they think he's a flake who can't deliver under pressure. Anyway, the entire point of that article was that people 'hate' Cooper because he 'speaks poorly and sounds working class.' That's completely, completely, insane. Tinfoil hat stuff.

Even if we take your argument that if don't want Cooper to play 10 for the Wallabies against the Lions you hate him, have we seriously got to the point where that's not allowed? You either support him or you're a h8ter? Either way it's a pretty sad state of affairs.

T

TOCC

When Quade plays his mistakes are analysed and highlighted more then his good pieces of play are, people look for reasons to keep him out of the Wallabies.

Yes there are his supporters(Greg Martin) who look for reasons to include him, I guess it just builds on the comments above about him being a polarising personality.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
6qr2hrM.gif

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The comments above are from a reply to a post I've put up on Reddit promoting my article on GAGR. Just to clear things up.

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
Like who? There wouldn't be anyone on here, there wouldn't be anyone on PR, there wouldn't be anyone on any major rugby forum you can think of.

Are you serious now? You're either trolling, have a different definition of 'hate' than I do or have been without the Internet for long stretches:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/quade-cooper-the-decision/
Features people describing QC (Quade Cooper) as: "knucklehead", "fool", "can't wait to see him knocked out".

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3555_8283125_2,00.html#pr-comments
again, more people hoping he gets knocked out.

I'd also tell you to read more Rugby Heaven comments, but I really can't recommend that to anyone as there are some crazies in there. Suffice to say, there are definitely some haters there (like celebrate him doing his knee type idiots).

The Kiwis don't respect him at all, at least not at Test level. It's the Spencer thing all over again, they think he's a flake who can't deliver under pressure. Anyway, the entire point of that article was that people 'hate' Cooper because he 'speaks poorly and sounds working class.' That's completely, completely, insane. Tinfoil hat stuff.
While I think the proportions are blown out, there are a few people you can find on rugby heaven articles that say he should go play 'Mungo ball'. Calling League 'mungo ball' is absolutely talking down to a sport, and by saying QC (Quade Cooper) belongs in it is implying the same.

Even if we take your argument that if don't want Cooper to play 10 for the Wallabies against the Lions you hate him, have we seriously got to the point where that's not allowed? You eithersupport him or you're a h8ter? Either way it's a pretty sad state of affairs.
I think there are extreme examples in both the anti QC (Quade Cooper) camp and the pro QC (Quade Cooper) camp. This article though seemed to be angling for a reasoned discussion on the merits.

No one is stopping you from preferring another player, the article was just addressing one of the better arguments of the "someone else for 10" camp. That being that QC (Quade Cooper) doesn't perform his best in Test Match Rugby, which may be true, but it doesn't seem like its more than any other 10 we've had recently.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Are you serious? This is a direct quote
In any case, I think most Aussies (outside QLD) hate Cooper because he speaks very poorly and looks working-class.

That is Saffa-level conspiracy theory insanity. I can't believe we're even having this conversation.

T

Train Without a Station

I think Quade has already taken a massive PR make over Sully. When he first debuted for QLD, I think most of QLD hated him, me included. Since then, I don't think there is anything more he could have done to build a positive image. The biggest thing he has done since Link came along was came out and said what we all think about the Wallabies, which has probably given most of those non-QLDers a reason to hate him and look for his faults.

Honestly I am amazed at how far he has come though, because for all his quoted short comings, he has managed to dispel them in Red. He has handled the pressure in big games, he has underplayed his hand more, improved his game management and defence and also become seemingly a decent human being.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't know any Kiwis that 'hate' him, he has become a comic book villain in NZ, much like Wendell Sailor was in Qld when he went to Tahs . Not sure about the respect thing, just a lot of kiwis rightfully or wrongly consider him a flake on the field.

T

Train Without a Station

Probably not wrongly, just wrongly considered a flake when the other 14 blokes on the field for most of these games who also played like shit get off scot free.

T

Train Without a Station

Oh here we go again, it's everyone but Cooper's fault when he throws intercepts, kicks out of the full, gets charged down and throws forward passes.

They must be the only mistakes made by anybody in any of those games? Don't bother answering that question, you only proved my original point.

If we dropped every bloke that had a shit couple of games for the Wallabies we'd probably have Horwill, JOC (James O'Connor) and Moore left....

FYI in the Reds vs Brumbies game with the match on the line, Genia kicked out on the full, Mogg kicked out on the full and Moore through a line out not straight. Flakes. Ban them from Gold for life too.

Status
Not open for further replies.