• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACT Brumbies v NSW Waratahs, GIO Stadium 31 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Missed the Kearns / Kafer tension in the commentary box.

Interesting the 2 guys most likely to be the next Rugby Australian CEO because they are 'rugby insiders', are taking a lower profile in commentary this season in Kafer and Kearns a no show.

Anyway not the best game, Tah's needs to build phases and the Brumbies need a game plan not written by the Canberra public service. That was negative stuff early in the game holding the ball in at multiple stationery scrums trying to milk a penalty, which never came.

Brumbies need to show more creativity and Tahs need to be more patient.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I consistently tipped the Tahs to win because I didn't think we'd (the Brumbies) handle the cross field kicks to Folau. As it panned out, that particular tactic was denied the Tahs in the fourth minute, but they adapted to still outplay the home side. Either says the Tahs are on the rise (which they might well be) or the Brumbies have little in the way of game breakers (which is likely to be just as true).

I'm actually hoping the Tahs are improving and that the Brumbies might be in with a show v the Reds next week.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Some of the Brumbies big guns look just flat at the moment. Arnolds, Kuridrani, Leali'ifano and Speight (with a defence howler on Taqele, and a dumb late tackle on Beale). Powell's box kicking is a bit hit and miss and maybe overplayed. McCaffrey looked pretty good and Banks has some real spark. A Tah side bringing that many errors to Canberra in the past would have been pantsed. I'm still kinda surprised they weren't.

I think your right on the money. I think we have a team that is starting to (if not already) unsubscribe.

Based on some comments from a few of the players post game I got the impression that are frustrated with whats going on and how its being done. They really didn't project a sense of much optimism and made it sound like if they get past the Reds it will be luck only. They certainly weren't spruiking the we will improve line; far from it.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
McCaffrey is such a classy player

He’s basically an 8 playing at 6 but it’s been a long time since we’ve had a ball-playing backrower in the Oz competition (apart from maybe Hoiles?) that it makes a pleasurable change. Good on him

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’ll be annoyed if Kurtley misses any games with a rib injury because of Speight’s tackle. Just plain stupid.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeh think it could work, he’s pretty good under the high ball, good kicking game, can fill in as a 1st/2nd receiver, ability to beat the man, can take contact in traffic, etc. just think a fullback needs to be an overall package in the modern game. Banks and Muirhead are both good players and will be valuable players going forward but have too many limitations in their game atm that probably are better suited for a wing spot while they improve their games. Banks on a wing with Speight as the other and Muirhead the bench utility to come on with 20 to play is how I’d treat it

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh think it could work, he’s pretty good under the high ball, good kicking game, can fill in as a 1st/2nd receiver, ability to beat the man, can take contact in traffic, etc. just think a fullback needs to be an overall package in the modern game. Banks and Muirhead are both good players and will be valuable players going forward but have too many limitations in their game atm that probably are better suited for a wing spot while they improve their games. Banks on a wing with Speight as the other and Muirhead the bench utility to come on with 20 to play is how I’d treat it

Really? o_O
Average under the high ball, his kicking is average at best (why he is rarely asked to kick), its clear he was the issue at 1st /2nd receiver and the improvement without him clearly shows that (he was getting 50% of all back-line ball and it killed the attack & as soon as he was injured last year the Brumbies attack improved), he rarely takes contact (about 30% of the time he took on the line) and though he can beat a man he usually waste it straight away.

Goodwin knows this as his best form in many seasons we saw in the first three games this year and he still now signed O/S as he knows its not good enough. Last years stats and performances just reiterate the question of how he has a Super Rugby contract.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
To me, Godwin looked the best back the Brumbies had last night. Kuridrani's form is ominous for the Wallabies, although I'd probably still pick him for the first test.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
McCaffrey is such a classy player

He’s basically an 8 playing at 6 but it’s been a long time since we’ve had a ball-playing backrower in the Oz competition (apart from maybe Hoiles?) that it makes a pleasurable change. Good on him

Interesting career. Played for Eastwood, with some distinction. He stood in the 2013 Federal elections in the seat of Bennelong, representing the "Democratic Labor Party", which was an attempt to revive the DLP.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
The biggest difference between last season and now is in the forward pack. Why has it regressed so much? Line outs not as good, rolling maul not a weapon, no scrum dominance....?

Godwin was the best back, and Muirhead failed to show me why he is picked ahead of Banks. Didn’t do anything wrong but wasn’t the playmaker that some said he was picked for.

And..Pocock is still the man.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The loss of the maul is devestating for the Brumbies. They go from finalists to also rans without that weapon

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The biggest difference between last season and now is in the forward pack. Why has it regressed so much? Line outs not as good, rolling maul not a weapon, no scrum dominance..?

Godwin was the best back, and Muirhead failed to show me why he is picked ahead of Banks. Didn’t do anything wrong but wasn’t the playmaker that some said he was picked for.

And..Pocock is still the man.
I was really surprised (pleasantly) by the Tahs scrum. There were a couple of epic ones where both sides couldn't move it an inch and the ball was just sitting under the FR (also a bit surprised the ref didn't enforce the need to hook more, but no big deal). I was sure someone would fold but they just didn't. As much as people seem to love rubbishing Simmons, his work in the set pieces is strong and underlines his importance. The reserve Tahs FR did very well too. Still a fair way to go to match the better scrums in the comp.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Very important lineout steal from Simmons at the end when the Brumbies got that penalty in the 78th minute. The second half from the Tah's pack was near the best half they've had this season, a lot less drop ball and they were getting some go forward in phase play as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.