• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
Agreed, Eddies is still team to beat going on their trial match against Peters. Will be a really good game, but looks like SEC have been building for this age group for a few years. Their 2, 4 and 15 had blinders against Peters at Suncorp.

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
Also, not 100% sure what the backs coach is teaching them there at Stpeters but they make it harder for themselves sometimes by over-complicating and starting too deep, allowing the defence to sometimes meet them at our before the advantage line. Whenever they made a break it was from a Marist turnover or open play, so the backs weren’t set so deep to start off with. They will need to rectify this before they play a quality backline such as Eddies.

N

Next

I think that the St. Peters 1st XV players and coaching staff would be shocked at how their supporters are carrying on here on this forum. Give the team a break everyone. They can't get ahead of themselves in this comp. Eddies are the benchmark and my sources tell me the Peters boys respect them enormously. They also respect every other school in the comp. God knows they've been given hidings from all of them over the years !

N

Next

Also, not 100% sure what the backs coach is teaching them there at Stpeters but they make it harder for themselves sometimes by over-complicating and starting too deep, allowing the defence to sometimes meet them at our before the advantage line. Whenever they made a break it was from a Marist turnover or open play, so the backs weren’t set so deep to start off with. They will need to rectify this before they play a quality backline such as Eddies.

Perhaps the Saints 10 playing in the pocket and not at the line caused this and not the backs coach ?

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
Full credit to schools like St Peters and St Edmunds for the big strides made in their rugby programmes. This has certainly led to a lift in the standard of AIC rugby which is a very good thing. The other notable feature however, has been the very significant drop in the standard and performance of Ashgrove 1st XVs. It is only a few years ago when they went 5 or 6 seasons without a loss. During this period those teams were very disciplined and composed and often just pressured excellent teams from other schools into errors and always seemed to be able to come away with the wins. For the past few seasons Ashgrove teams now often get very rattled and fall apart when the pressure is on. It does not seem to be so much about talent but about "presence" or "composure". I would be interested to hear what others think?

Tubba

Stan Wickham (3)
Being from a GPS School, I myself went down to watch the Marist game.

I thought that the form of rugby compared to GPS was a total bag of shit. Both teams were in the ruck and there was no structure it was like watching under 8's football. Marist got robbed badly by the ref even though Peters deserved the win.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Full credit to schools like St Peters and St Edmunds for the big strides made in their rugby programmes. This has certainly led to a lift in the standard of AIC rugby which is a very good thing. The other notable feature however, has been the very significant drop in the standard and performance of Ashgrove 1st XVs. It is only a few years ago when they went 5 or 6 seasons without a loss. During this period those teams were very disciplined and composed and often just pressured excellent teams from other schools into errors and always seemed to be able to come away with the wins. For the past few seasons Ashgrove teams now often get very rattled and fall apart when the pressure is on. It does not seem to be so much about talent but about "presence" or "composure". I would be interested to hear what others think?
Saecom there was a fair bit of discussion on lasts years AIC rugby thread about ahsgrove "demise" from people close to the ash system you can still find that thread.
IMO I still have not seen a ASH 1st 15 team go down or in fact be place under any sustain pressure, so I have not witness them getting rattled.
You can only learn how to deal with pressure via experiencing it in games, trying to recreate it at training doesn't cut it. I guess that Ash might be a victim of their own success over the years and in all age groups.

Having a comp which is dominated by one team for soooooo long is obviously no good for anyone including the dominating team.
Therefore I, as you think its great to see the improvements that teams like Padua last year, eddies this year/last year, and now it seem peters.
I think that the standards lifting in the AIC comp will only benefit all teams and I look forward to some competitive rugby in the future.

N

Next

Being from a GPS School, I myself went down to watch the Marist game.

I thought that the form of rugby compared to GPS was a total bag of shit. Both teams were in the ruck and there was no structure it was like watching under 8's football. Marist got robbed badly by the ref even though Peters deserved the win.

Tubba, calling it under 8's rugby is a bit tough ! Unfortunately the schools in the AIC can only aspire to the high standards that such well repected rugby brains, such as yourself, impose on them ! Were you satisfied with your seat and catering Sir ? I do hope you were comfortable stooping so low as to attend one of "those" games.

Nobody in AIC circles is suggesting that the overall standard of rugby in their comp is equal to the GPS comp. There are certain games though that get close. Have a look at a few more before you pass judgement please sir.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
Upcoming games for this weekend:

Pats v Ashgrove at Curlew Park
Eddies v Lauries at Eddies
Padua v Villa at Banyo
Peters v Iona at Peters

thoughts?

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)

Padua v Villa at Banyo
Peters v Iona at Peters

thoughts?
ashgrove far to strong for pats, disappointed that pats aren't fielding full strength teams ash by 20
eddies comp specials by 20
tipping an upset here, apart from the scoreboard villa look good against eddies last week, villa by 7
peters I think peters will choke on the added pressure of being in line for the premiership after last weeks upset over ashgrove, iona by 7

A

AICfan12

Pats vs Ashrove - Ashgrove will be too strong
Eddies vs Lauries - Eddies, comp favourites
Padua vs Villa - Flip of a coin, going with Villa boys
Peters vs Iona - Clash of the Round, want Peters to win, but will most likely choke. Iona by 5.

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
Pats vs Ashgrove - Ashgrove will be fuming after their loss, expect them to come back strong. Ashgrove by 30
Eddies vs Laurres - Eddies will be too good, still deserved competition favourites. Eddies by 20
Padua vs Villa - Im not sure on this one either, but will go with the home team. Padua by 17
Peters vs Iona - Big game for Peters, need to show the rest of the comp they mean business and last week was no fluke. Peters by 10

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
Pats vs Ashgrove - Ashgrove will be very keen to bounce back after last weeks defeat against St Peters. I say they will pile on the points this week against pats due to their disappointment . Ashgrove by 30+.

Eddies vs Lauries - Eddies still remain as the favourites for the AIC crown this year IMO. However, I am predicting eddies might have an off week this week and only win by a close 5 or 8 points.

Padua vs Villa - Padua last week nearly beat Iona at the very end however that wasn't the case the Iona scored in the final minute of the game to win by 10. I think Padua will bounce back at home and break down a determined Villa side by 15.

Peters vs Iona - This is the game of the round for sure. Both teams had very close games last week and are going to put up a good fight this weekend. Iona are still in the race in my opinion, they played quite well last week at banyo against a Padua side who nearly took the game off them. Their composure was excellent at the end. I reckon this game is a flip of the coin, maybe Iona by 5.

R

Random guy

Padua v Villa at Banyo
Peters v Iona at Peters

thoughts?
Pats vs Ashgrove- Ashgrove by 15+ depending on who Pats field
Eddies vs Lauries- Eddies by a fair bit. Forwards will have to do better than last week though.
Padua vs Villa- Villa by 5+
Peters vs Iona- Unsure about this one. Haven't seen either team but on previous form probably Peters unless they choke.

P

pick and go

Winning a game can often be achieved by a teams forward pack, which makes me wonder who has the most dominant forward pack in the AIC this year?
From this thread it sounds like eddies and ashgrove have well drilled packs?
Also i hear villa are doing pretty well with there forwards this year?

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Winning a game can often be achieved by a teams forward pack, which makes me wonder who has the most dominant forward pack in the AIC this year?
From this thread it sounds like eddies and ashgrove have well drilled packs?
Also i hear villa are doing pretty well with there forwards this year?
from the games i have witness this season , and i have seen all the teams you name I would rate them as a whole pack
1. Ash
2. Villa
3. Eddies
4. Iona
best individual forwards
1 . no2 eddies great ball runner
2 . no8 iona all round skills great pest.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
Heard report last night from someone inside Ashgrove that the 1st XV captain is the son of one of the coaches - I can't confirm this, but if this is true, it is crazy stuff. No wonder Ashgrove not the force it used to be when things like this can happen ...

B

brizrugby1

Heard report last night from someone inside Ashgrove that the 1st XV captain is the son of one of the coaches - I can't confirm this, but if this is true, it is crazy stuff. No wonder Ashgrove not the force it used to be when things like this can happen ...

he was stripped of the role this week due to other issues. the captaincy has now been handed to number 14 harrison cuneo - due to his top leadership skills, commintment to the team and knowledge of the great game

P

pick and go

from the games i have witness this season , and i have seen all the teams you name I would rate them as a whole pack
1. Ash
2. Villa
3. Eddies
4. Iona
best individual forwards
1 . no2 eddies great ball runner
2 . no8 iona all round skills great pest.

do you know of any standouts in Ash or villa forwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.