• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roll Away Black 7

I don't think Ashgrove have really dropped too much mate. Didn't they win co-premiership last year? and from the sounds of it they gave St Peters a run for their money.
I agree Iona2006.its a bit soon don't you think saecom to be passing negative judgement on a system in a school that has produced a lot of premierships in the past decade ? Things are cyclical with talent in the top grade. One year may be extra strong next ordinary.

R

Reddy Steady Heavey

Eddies forward pack in the two games i have seen (vs SPLC trial vs villa) have always dominated open play in defence and in rucks the only thing that lets them down in my eyes is set piece which is not crash hot. Their line-outs although awful in the villa game, seemed to be of a decent standard in the SPLC game. At scrum time eddies are okay there scrum looks liek there has been some time put into it but i feel it survives more on strength then technical prowess

S

Saints supporter

Does anyone know when Ash will be playing Eddies? and given last year game I'm guessing it will be at Eddies??

P

pick and go

Ash 22 Pats 10 - 4 tries to 1, Ash didn't go well, but a much improved Pats outfit also.
I went out to the Pats Ash game and although it wasnt the best game, ash still dominated. the only standout thing pats did was the intercept in the first minute of the game. Ash dominated all game staying in there half and there forwards looked strong and well drilled. Pats discipline just seemed to go out the window which really did hurt them. Good to see Pats put up a good fight tho

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
Agree with xxxx and ka_ora.
Great atmosphere to watch a 1st XV game at St.Peters.
The standout player during the game I thought was the No.8 from Iona. A real tough cookie with an excellent work-rate who would pop almost anywhere on the field, could take a hard hit, tackled hard and ran the ball well. A real find for Iona, not sure what grade he is but he would surely make AIC. Unlike last week, Saints backs looked unorganised and far too eager to spread it. Their forward played exceptionally well, especially the two second rower, both put some excellent hits, great takes from the kick offs and always made the advantage line with the ball. If they played through the forwards for more phases, brought the Iona players in and then spread it wide the score would have been different. In two weeks we have seen a dominant display from their backs to beat Marist and good outing by their forwards to hold out Iona. They will definitely need both units to fire to get close to Eddies.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
I agree Iona2006.its a bit soon don't you think saecom to be passing negative judgement on a system in a school that has produced a lot of premierships in the past decade ? Things are cyclical with talent in the top grade. One year may be extra strong next ordinary.

I think perhaps those that do not think Ashgrove has dropped over the last few years are young and did not see the Ashgrove teams from about 1997 to 2006 when they went several years in a row undefeated. Trust me boys they were much different to the Ashgrove teams of the past few years ... In 1998 they had 5 Australian Schoolboys in the one 1st XV side ...now the whole AIC comp would not get that between them in a very good year ...

S

SEATO

Okay St Laurence, sorry no disrespect intended. But you guys did cop a hiding. Guess two heads are better than one.
Good to see them doing well the last couple of seasons. Interesting to see if they remain a force over an extended period such as Ash and Lauries.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I think perhaps those that do not think Ashgrove has dropped over the last few years are young and did not see the Ashgrove teams from about 1997 to 2006 when they went several years in a row undefeated. Trust me boys they were much different to the Ashgrove teams of the past few years ... In 1998 they had 5 Australian Schoolboys in the one 1st XV side ...now the whole AIC comp would not get that between them in a very good year ...

My experience/knowledge of Ashgrove rugby goes back to 1972, and whilst there has been some great improvement from schools like Pats, and the emergence of Eddies and Padua, there can be little doubt that in rugby terms Ashgrove has never been weaker than it is now (although as a school I think it's better than ever).

It's impossible to be certain, but I am confident that most Ashgrove First XV's from say 1975 -1998 would be at least 20-30 points better than sides from the past 5 years or so. I think there are a few reasons for the decline, with one of them being that as the AIC comp is so much weaker nowadays than GPS (with the advent of aggressive recruiting across the board in GPS), and as Ashgrove has won so many premierships over the years, there is no great "glory" per se in winning the comp, and for Ashgrove less incentive than everyone else to build/develop teams to do it (that's not being condescending, it's simply a fact as SLC has been the only other regular winner over the 40 years I have been watching).

Crowd numbers at First XV games reflect this trend as well.

Having said that, I'm sure the individual Ashgrove players/coaches are busting their guts to win each year, and it's by no means a bad thing that premierships are being shared around as the likes of Eddies come through and schools like Villa in 2010 and Peters this year produce their best sides in decades.

For what it's worth, and without giving it too much thought, the best Ashgrove sides I have seen over the years in chronological order would probably be 1975, 1976 ,1979, 1981, 1990 and 1998 (I've probably missed a few good sides in the late 80's) - this tends to illustrate the point I was trying to make above.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
My experience/knowledge of Ashgrove rugby goes back to 1972, and whilst there has been some great improvement from schools like Pats, and the emergence of Eddies and Padua, there can be little doubt that in rugby terms Ashgrove has never been weaker than it is now (although as a school I think it's better than ever).

It's impossible to be certain, but I am confident that most Ashgrove First XV's from say 1975 -1998 would be at least 20-30 points better than sides from the past 5 years or so. I think there are a few reasons for the decline, with one of them being that as the AIC comp is so much weaker nowadays than GPS (with the advent of aggressive recruiting across the board in GPS), and as Ashgrove has won so many premierships over the years, there is no great "glory" per se in winning the comp, and for Ashgrove less incentive than everyone else to build/develop teams to do it (that's not being condescending, it's simply a fact as SLC has been the only other regular winner over the 40 years I have been watching).

Crowd numbers at First XV games reflect this trend as well.

Having said that, I'm sure the individual Ashgrove players/coaches are busting their guts to win each year, and it's by no means a bad thing that premierships are being shared around as the likes of Eddies come through and schools like Villa in 2010 and Peters this year produce their best sides in decades.

For what it's worth, and without giving it too much thought, the best Ashgrove sides I have seen over the years in chronological order would probably be 1975, 1976 ,1979, 1981, 1990 and 1998 (I've probably missed a few good sides in the late 80's) - this tends to illustrate the point I was trying to make above.

I agree with most of your points Galloper however I think you should probably add one ot two of the teams from the 5 year unbeaten streak (2002 to 2006) to that list ... eg 2005 (I think?) were pretty handy and put 30 points on Nudgee and many others ... however I agree with much you say though I suspect they have lost a few good coaches too which has eroded some of the standard ...

3DD!3$01D80Y

What position is Brannagh Corcoran from Iona?
What position is Brayden Torpy from Villanova?

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree with most of your points Galloper however I think you should probably add one ot two of the teams from the 5 year unbeaten streak (2002 to 2006) to that list ... eg 2005 (I think?) were pretty handy and put 30 points on Nudgee and many others ... however I agree with much you say though I suspect they have lost a few good coaches too which has eroded some of the standard ...

Yeah sorry but for various reasons didn't see too many games over that period - you could well be right.

By the way, from what I have seen the Ashgrove sides of the past few years have still had lots of good individuals, just not quite as many per year as there used to be.

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
My experience/knowledge of Ashgrove rugby goes back to 1972

Just out of curiosity, what have been some Ashgroves biggest scorelines against AIC/TAS opponents?

Good weekend of games coming up. If the past few years (not including 2010) is anything to go by, Villa vs Iona should be one hell of a game. Most people would be expecting a fairly heavy scoreline in favour of Eddies against Pats. It will be interesting to see how Padua bounces back for their game against Peters, could be very one sided if the Padua boys do not show up to play. I'd have to tip Ashgrove over Lauries especially at Ashgrove.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Just out of curiosity, what have been some Ashgroves biggest scorelines against AIC/TAS opponents?

One of the biggest floggings I can remember was Ashgrove v SLC in 98 - Ash won 76-5 after Lauries scored the first try.

I think that was the end of the golden era, and quite possibly Ashgrove's best ever side - of the 5 who toured the UK with Australian Schools 4 actually played in the Test XV (Mathison, Heenan, Elphinston and Sheedy). You won't see that again from any AIC school.

H

have_a_go

i go to pats and i noticed last week that the two centers from lauries that played the previous years at 10,12 and even 13 were playing in the SLC firsts forward pack.. can anyone else confirm that or are they two completely different boys?

Status
Not open for further replies.