• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
i go to pats and i noticed last week that the two centers from lauries that played the previous years at 10,12 and even 13 were playing in the SLC firsts forward pack.. can anyone else confirm that or are they two completely different boys?
the No 6 and 8 for the SLC 1st XV this year have played previously in the centres while the 12 played number 8 for the 1sts last year and the 14 played in the back row in previous years

H

have_a_go

the No 6 and 8 for the SLC 1st XV this year have played previously in the centres while the 12 played number 8 for the 1sts last year and the 14 played in the back row in previous years

do you know the reason to the move, you seem to know a fair bit about the team

3DD!3$01D80Y

Round 4 fixtures

St. Peters vs. Padua
Iona vs. Villanova
St. Pats vs. St. Edmunds
Ashgrove vs. St. Laurences

Thoughts ???
St. Peters vs. Padua - Peter's by 10+
Iona vs. Villanova - Iona by 10+
St. Pats vs. St. Edmunds - Eddie's by 35+
Ashgrove vs. St. Laurences - Ashgrove by 25+

D

Darkness

im interested in the props, i know Hatzis and Sorridimi from last year, any new standouts?

hotman

Peter Burge (5)
corcoran plays 12 atm for iona even though has 13 on his back, he and the other centre hola switch around during the games, corcoran still isnt performing great possibly because he is of the knee injury he occured late last term.

Browndog

Bob McCowan (2)
Good to see them doing well the last couple of seasons. Interesting to see if they remain a force over an extended period such as Ash and Lauries.
Eddies have always had the talent however the big difference these days is a rugby coordinator worth his weight in gold. Eddies (and Ipswich) rugby development has also suffered from being located in a league heartland not to mention a GPS school a stones through away who keep a keen eye on the talent being produced. Ippy gets an NRL side, rugby is as good as dead in the western corridor.

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
Round 4 fixtures

St. Peters vs. Padua
Iona vs. Villanova
St. Pats vs. St. Edmunds
Ashgrove vs. St. Laurences

Thoughts ???

St. Peters vs. Padua - Looks like St. Peters will be the favourites for this one. Padua have had a tough start to this years AIC competition as the current co premiers of last years AIC competition. In the last two games they have only lost by 10 points each. So I reckon they could challenge peters this week and maybe give them a little scare. I reckon Peters will respond well and in front of a passionate home crowd they will come home with a win. St. Peters by 12.

Iona vs. Villanova - Both teams will be fired up for this one. Iona have looked strong in the games they have played. Villanova also will be determined to beat Iona for a 3rd year in a row I believe? The Iona boys for two years have been in the lower half of the 1st XV competition and I think they really want to make the most out of this year and return to the top 3/4. Therefore I'm tipping Iona to beat Villanova by a solid 14 points.

St. Pats vs. St. Edmunds - I think everyone will be tipping St Edmunds for this game. St. Pats are struggling this year and St. Edmund's are dominating, simple as that. This is the game between the potential winners and wooden spooners of the competition. I feel that if the St. Pats boys don't rock up ready for this game, it could get ugly. Hopefully the St. Pats players fight the good fight just as their motto says and challenge the Ippy boys. St Edmunds by 24+.

Ashgrove vs. St Laurences - It's their classic rival round. Always produces a great game of schoolboy rugby. St Laurence's have something to prove after last years heavy lost to Ashgrove. If St. Laurences rock up and play with a good attitude like they do when it comes to this round of the competition, then I expect that this game will be a close one. However, Ashgrove boys are very hungry for another win to keep their premiership run alive and I reckon they will beat a determined St Laurence's outfit by 18.

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
One of the biggest floggings I can remember was Ashgrove v SLC in 98 - Ash won 76-5 after Lauries scored the first try.

I think that was the end of the golden era, and quite possibly Ashgrove's best ever side - of the 5 who toured the UK with Australian Schools 4 actually played in the Test XV (Mathison, Heenan, Elphinston and Sheedy). You won't see that again from any AIC school.

Sounds like quite a team! Surprises me that it was against Lauries. Must have been a bad year for them.

@erossi93. Iona beat Villa by 1 point last season

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
Sounds like quite a team! Surprises me that it was against Lauries. Must have been a bad year for them.

@erossi93. Iona beat Villa by 1 point last season

Not sure but I think St Laurences may well have finished runners up in 1998 despite this scoreline ... that Ashgrove team was pretty scary when they got a roll on ... The 2005 Ashgrove team led St Laurences by close to 50 at halftime at Runcorn but then got off the gas and the Lauries boys did well to come back by a few points ... and I think St Laurences may well have been runners up that year too .... the whole AIC I backline was Ashgrove in 2005 .... remember they went 5 seasons (I checked) from 2002 to 2006 and not only did they win the 1st XV 5 times but they did not drop a game (35 wins!)

Been at least 5 years since any of us have seen Ashgrove teams like those (thank goodness!) - which backs up my original point - we other schools HAVE improved BUT Ashgrove have dropped off quite a bit ..... I think they don't have the players they used to have and it seems they don't have the coaches they used to have either ...

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not sure but I think St Laurences may well have finished runners up in 1998 despite this scoreline ... that Ashgrove team was pretty scary when they got a roll on ... The 2005 Ashgrove team led St Laurences by close to 50 at halftime at Runcorn but then got off the gas and the Lauries boys did well to come back by a few points ... and I think St Laurences may well have been runners up that year too .... the whole AIC I backline was Ashgrove in 2005 .... remember they went 5 seasons (I checked) from 2002 to 2006 and not only did they win the 1st XV 5 times but they did not drop a game (35 wins!)

Been at least 5 years since any of us have seen Ashgrove teams like those (thank goodness!) - which backs up my original point - we other schools HAVE improved BUT Ashgrove have dropped off quite a bit ..... I think they don't have the players they used to have and it seems they don't have the coaches they used to have either ...

Definitely good to see other schools improving, makes the AIC a better competition. The improvement of the likes of Padua and Eddies who are traditional rugby league schools is making the AIC more interesting. And now St. Peter's are feeling like they need to catch up and this year they have proved they have made some progress.

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
I think the question is whether St Peters will maintain form in the coming seasons. They were fairly ordinary in the years of 05-07 then came about 4th or 5th in 2008 and gave some of the top 4 teams a run for their money in 2009 but were then belted 84-0 by Villa in 2010. Hopefully the teams like Peters and Eddies who haven't done tremendously well in the AIC competition remain contenders as it will definitively strengthen the competition as a whole.

rugby rugby rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes but you forget that it was not just st. Peters that Villa gave a hiding too.. The unbeaten-premiership 2010 season saw Villa also beat Iona 71 - 0 and st. Pats 45 - 5. you should not let that years results doubt your mind that peters are well and truly on the uprise, along with many other schools.

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
I am not doubting that they are on the rise, they beat Ashgrove in what I'm sure would be the first time in many many years. I'm just questioning whether or not they will be able to maintain winning consistency that they have lacked from year to year so far in the competition. Being a school which has often only been able to or choose to field 2 teams in most year levels hurts the ability to produce consistent teams from year to year. It's no coincident Ashgrove is arguably the best producer of teams in each year level. They have a large population of students and thus, more talent to choose from. The same goes for St Laurences.

B

BrisbaneRugby93

Can someone please provide a breakdown of last weekend's Padua vs Villa clash. To be honest, I was very surprised (as were many) by the outcome and was infact expecting Padua to win comfortably off the back of their performance in Round 2 against Iona. Their forward play in this match was impressive and their backs showed signs of a good attacking capability. I know Villa are strong in the forwards but I expected Padua to go straight through their backs; obviously that did not happen. Could someone please explain how Villa upstaged Padua at home and will they be a threat to Iona at Iona this weekend? Thanks.

rugby rugby rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
It was the first Villanova game i had seen, and i too was expecting a Padua victory. Nonetheless it was a very entertaining game of rugby. In fact it was quite a close contest with the lead changing several times until the last 10 minutes when Villanova got a roll on and ended up scoring 2 tries late in the half and holding on. Although twice the size, the Padua forward pack only really managed to break the Villa line once which lead to a try, but other than that Villa forwards dominated scrums, most lineouts and were very good in defence. The try which ultimately lead to the win for Villa was a perfectly moved, backs set piece off the back of yet another scrum win. Padua Backs did look good at times shifting the ball from sideline to sideline but never really managed to crack the defensive line. All in all a very good game of schoolboy rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.