• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Saints supporter

any word on SPLC result yet people?
Saints 41 Villa 19.
Not sure what happened to Eddies today, they seem rattled and dropped some great runs. Ashgrove was all over them.
Made the call 4 rounds ago - the Saints vs Eddies game in 2 weeks will be a game to be at! This season could end with a straight out premiership (for the saints) or a 3 way tie between Saints/Eddies/Ash.

Browndog

Bob McCowan (2)
Simple yet elegant Ashgrove, take a bow. In case you were wondering Eddies , it's called 'Pick & Go'. Put it on your To Do List.

B

BrisbaneRugby93

Iona 19 defeated St Patrick's 14. Half time score was 16-0 to Iona. St Pats came home very strong, but Iona's defence was for the most part unbreakable. Struggled to maintain possession however, looked like they were trying to score 70 metre tries off every play. Patience is the word of the day here. 13 and 15 attacked well in the first half, didn't see much action in the second. 6,7,8 had standout games again, these three boys held the forward pack together today and really kept them in the game. That being said the team will need to lift to get on top of Lauries at home.

Obviously the news of the day is Ashgrove over Eddies. I'm guessing Ash took them on in the forwards and won that battle as they did against Iona?

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
Great game at Ipswich today. Both sides played to their best. Standouts in the game were ash 12 henry Devine?, 7 Sam Clarke, and winger nathan Bassani. Manu had a great game but the lack of structure in their forwards could not topple ashes defence. Eddies had many chances out wide but failed to execute through childish mistakes. The season could end in A three way tie with eddies more determined from their loss & peters with injured players.

stevet

Stan Wickham (3)
Simple yet elegant Ashgrove, take a bow. In case you were wondering Eddies , it's called 'Pick & Go'. Put it on your To Do List.
Its called boring rugby and the reason why rugby is not the spectical it should be, well done to Ashgrove for the win but if thats the style of rugby being promoted to the up and coming god help us all. Eddies lost the game all on their own they bombed several tries and looked the more dangerous of the two sides but in the end only the score board counts so congrats to the boys from Ashgrove.

Browndog

Bob McCowan (2)
Its called boring rugby and the reason why rugby is not the spectical it should be, well done to Ashgrove for the win but if thats the style of rugby being promoted to the up and coming god help us all. Eddies lost the game all on their own they bombed several tries and looked the more dangerous of the two sides but in the end only the score board counts so congrats to the boys from Ashgrove.
Punch and spread. It's the only choice against a well structured defense, it's also bread and butter schoolboys rugby which allows for plenty of running and plenty of points.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Great game at Ipswich today. Both sides played to their best. Standouts in the game were ash 12 henry Devine?, 7 Sam Clarke, and winger nathan Bassani. Manu had a great game but the lack of structure in their forwards could not topple ashes defence. Eddies had many chances out wide but failed to execute through childish mistakes. The season could end in A three way tie with eddies more determined from their loss & peters with injured players.

yep my money is on a 3 way tie, as i said in earlier post i felt and still do the only team capable of beating eddies was/is ash due to the ash well structure forwards and eddies forwards aren't great at the breakdown. even villa forwards out play them at the breakdown
peters win games with their backs and that is where eddies are very strong.
i hate premiership ties lets bring back finals!!!!!!

N

Next

Yet again St Peters have dominated a team in the forwards and no one gives them credit. With at one time a 16 - 3 penalty count against them St Peters still win. Brendan Cannon didn't even give the Saints a chance thursday night and they proved that no matter what anyone says they believe in themselves. In the second half Villa tried to keep the ball away from the rucks spreading the ball to no avail. SPLC have the most dominate team both in defense and attack, yet again they can attack from any position on the field with 6 team tries. St Peters believe in both themselves and each other and don't care what anyone says.

Did you get a head knock today Caltris ?

R

Ruggers101

Yet again St Peters have dominated a team in the forwards and no one gives them credit. With at one time a 16 - 3 penalty count against them St Peters still win. Brendan Cannon didn't even give the Saints a chance thursday night and they proved that no matter what anyone says they believe in themselves. In the second half Villa tried to keep the ball away from the rucks spreading the ball to no avail. SPLC have the most dominate team both in defense and attack, yet again they can attack from any position on the field with 6 team tries. St Peters believe in both themselves and each other and don't care what anyone says.
Mate you would have to be kidding! Having been present at that game the villa forwards dominated the contest, it was the back line which did the damage. Peters back line was too big, too strong and too quick for villa's much smaller defensive line. In the first 10 minutes alone the fullback (who was very impressive) sliced through twice to set up two tries. In the end it was a convincing performance from the saints, but villa did worry them throughout the game.

S

Saints supporter

Mate you would have to be kidding! Having been present at that game the villa forwards dominated the contest, it was the back line which did the damage. Peters back line was too big, too strong and too quick for villa's much smaller defensive line. In the first 10 minutes alone the fullback (who was very impressive) sliced through twice to set up two tries. In the end it was a convincing performance from the saints, but villa did worry them throughout the game.

Couldn't agree more with Caltris. As a new comer to this forum I have read nothing but St Peters are chokers, they wont win and if and buts for the other teams.... We are now 3 weeks out from the end of the season and so many of the forums members have never given St Peters a look in and where are we now - St Peters is the only undefeated team in AIC.
You can all talk about the play and individuals but another key component to a winning team that doesn't get mentioned is belief and belief in your team. Win or lose against Eddies the St Peters XV have come a long way, it has also resulted in young players bringing out the best in their game for their team. This game will be more exciting than the Wallabies v Wales game later that night!

rugbynerd

Peter Burge (5)
Couldn't agree more with Caltris. As a new comer to this forum I have read nothing but St Peters are chokers, they wont win and if and buts for the other teams.... We are now 3 weeks out from the end of the season and so many of the forums members have never given St Peters a look in and where are we now - St Peters is the only undefeated team in AIC.
You can all talk about the play and individuals but another key component to a winning team that doesn't get mentioned is belief and belief in your team. Win or lose against Eddies the St Peters XV have come a long way, it has also resulted in young players bringing out the best in their game for their team. This game will be more exciting than the Wallabies v Wales game later that night!

I don't care what anyone says, you have to take your hat off to st peters 1sts is year. I hope they go all the way and go through undefeated this year. It's looking the exact same as last year with the Padua 1st XV, after round 5 they were the only undefeated team and people still wrote them off. All the best saints and congratulations to the coaching staff in particular Greg

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
here is a (what i hope is an unbiased) breakdown of the Peters vs Villa game.

The peters back line looked very crisp early on creating a couple of quick tries by slicing through the villa line. before Villa clawed their way back in the game through some good hard, but a little boring, forward work. The villa forwards were very good at passing and playing at the line and the peters forwards struggled to adapt. this allowed the villa pack to march down the field on numerous occasions and come away with a few well earned penalty conversions. peters than had a player sent off for repeated breakdown offences and you could feel the momentum swing. Villa started seeing more and more of the ball while the peters line defended desperately. The peters player was in the bin for 5 minutes either side of half time and thats where Villa finally got their try. the momentum was now very much with Villa and you could feel the nervousness of the peters crowd. however, to their credit, the Peters boys absorbed a huge amount of pressure from villa before they managed to wrestle the ball back. using the 'punch and spread' to great effect, resulting in a try to the hooker in the corner. from there Peters pushed on using their backline to pile on some quick tries to end Villa's hopes of an upset.
Twas a highly interesting game with both teams playing to their strengths. Villa's forwards were a very well drilled unit and the Peters forwards did superbly in at least matching it with them for the majority of the game. Peter's backs were very good with some superb individual talent and the Villa backs were never really at the races.

I believe this will be the telling point next week. If the Peters forwards continue to improve like they have from the marist game (the only other game ive seen them in besides eddies trial) they will come close to the boys from Eddies. all they need to do is hold their own and hope their backs have a blinder.

stand outs for Villa were; the whole forward pack but especially that prop of theirs, he looks a shoe in for AIC selection. his work rate and ball running was truly a class above. expect to see a couple of these guys in the mix for AIC.

Stand outs for Peters were; the fullback - he looks very good in his new role and peters are not missing anything with Rambi out, is unbelievebly quick.
the winger Duma - 2nd time ive seen this guy play and his finishing is awesome, seems like you only have to put the ball in his hands and things will happen.
the no. 8 - worked really hard, made some good runs and pilfered ball at crucial times in the game, might be knocking on the door of AIC 2 selection.

A

aicselector

Dawson (12) from iona college is playing extremely well, i won't be surprised if he gets AIC 2
also jack holt the iona skipper made the chairmans team last year, and this year he has played well, won't be a surprise if his name is there.

Rugby Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dawson (12) from iona college is playing extremely well, i won't be surprised if he gets AIC 2
also jack holt the iona skipper made the chairmans team last year, and this year he has played well, won't be a surprise if his name is there.
Jordan Smith a new commer year 11 has also been playing outstandingly for iona

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
I think the worrying thing for St Peters in terms of the success of their 1st XV in the next few years, is that they only seem to have won two of all the games played yesterday including a 101-0 drubbing in the 14 A's. Hopefully they get over the line next week, would be good for the competition if Ashgrove don't win a share of the premiership.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I think the worrying thing for St Peters in terms of the success of their 1st XV in the next few years, is that they only seem to have won two of all the games played yesterday including a 101-0 drubbing in the 14 A's. Hopefully they get over the line next week, would be good for the competition if Ashgrove don't win a share of the premiership.

This is a serious question: do the results referred to above suggest that Peters have done some recruiting for the First XV this year, or have they just been freakishly lucky to have a raft of good players in the one year amid a sea of dross (both present and historically)? I'm not suggesting an answer, I'm simply interested.

On a different note, I don't know the players in the Ashgrove First XV, I've never seen them play but I'm proud of their efforts yesterday in winning away from home against the unbackable favorites when everyone keeps describing them as the worst-ever Ashgrove team. Did they have some players back this week who didn't play against Peters?

Credit to Eddies supporters, I haven't seen or heard any of them whinging about the result, nor do they come on here talking themselves up unlike supporters of some other schools. For a variety of reasons I hope they smash Saints when they meet, and I think they will.

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't care what anyone says, you have to take your hat off to st peters 1sts is year. I hope they go all the way and go through undefeated this year. It's looking the exact same as last year with the Padua 1st XV, after round 5 they were the only undefeated team and people still wrote them off. All the best saints and congratulations to the coaching staff in particular Greg

Totally agree with your comments rugbynerd. I think people are finding it hard to accept that. Only because for so long we have seen the likes of Marist and Lauries always dominate the competition. It makes it so much more interesting and exciting to have schools such as St. Peters, rise up and win. Same situation with Padua last year, although they have found it tough to back up with the results this year as they have won only one game. This is the challenge for St. Peters now, is to finish off the season well by winning the premiership and then back up next year by being threats in the competition again. Padua has been fairly competitive in most games however the other teams have been better.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
I am surprised by the Ashgrove v Eddies result however credit where it is due and Ashgrove carried the day. I only saw Ashgrove the day they played St Laurences and from the sounds of comments on this forum they had some players out injured that day? You have to hand it to Ashgrove teams, they know how to somehow find a way to win more times than not. Obviously this makes for a huge game St Edddies v St Peters ... I would have tipped St Eddies but momentum is a big thing in schoolboys rugby and maybe this will be the year for Saints?
All the punters on here tipping lots of players for AIC teams from schools with ordinary results are just dreaming .... Look for AIC I to be dominated by St Peters, St Edmunds and Ashgrove players .... AIC II will be a "best of the rest" outfit .... look back over the AIC teams of the past 14 years (since 1998) if you don't believe me .....

Status
Not open for further replies.