• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia, Mendoza 4/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Hard to believe but Argentina are actually ranked 12th in the world at the moment which would make losing to them worse than losing to Japan.

Yes but in fairness to them, Argentina play 3 of the top 4 teams in the world 6 out of 15 games per season. Not even us, NZ or SA have that heavy a schedule.

T

Train Without a Station

Steady on about Ireland - they won Six Nations.

I was not actually aware of that. My point was that Argentina are a team in the 5-10 in the world bracket (although their ranking is 12). We should be expected to defeat them, much like we are expected to defeat Ireland.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes but in fairness to them, Argentina play 3 of the top 4 teams in the world 6 out of 15 games per season. Not even us, NZ or SA have that heavy a schedule.

Yes but they were 12th before the RC started. They are so low they can't lose any ranking points by losing to any of the top 3. I actually think playing against SA and NZ more often is what keeps the Wallabies, generally speaking, above the rest of the pack, so it shouldn't be an excuse for Argentina. After the TRC the EOYT should be a blitz.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I just hope this shit doesn't happen again.

(Not a go at the Argies, there are dickhead supporters in every country)'

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Still happening.

Argies need to do something about this kinda shit:

image-jpg.5446

View attachment 5446

I know they're primarily a diveball country but that's inexcusable.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No disrespect to Argentina, but we are a better team and losing to them would be akin to losing to Ireland or Scotland. In addition they are also weakened.

Unfortunately, losing to Ireland or Scotland has been known to happen. Anything can happen in a two horse race and if there's something wrong with the jockey (read coach) then a surprise could be well and truly on the cards.

Reactions: BDA

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fuck it ! The odd distractions for this game.

Tough game last week, travelled half way around the world, had to wear the same undies for 2 or 3 days, no Di there, Kurtley's alleged indiscretion and the shit surrounding that, Link missed a training session, Simmo out and Horwill in, McC out and Higgers in, no Kurtley on the bench, Keps broke a bootlace at training, Hooper missing his white head tape (which he wears badly), Tomane pissed of about having to wear long socks instead of those trendy ankle things, kicking tee lost so have reverted to the bucket of wet sand.

Even with the above Australia will come out focussed and motivated and belt the Pumas by 27

M

Moono75

Maybe the Wobs should have stopped off via the Falkland Islands as a training base for a couple of days. That would really piss the Argies off! Time for Australia to get angry and deliver some rugby beat down.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Perhaps the most interesting point here is the assumption that the number of caps should indicate superiority in skills. Campo was 100 caps yet never improved his tackling.

I don't dispute your premise, but I hate generalities in general :).

Every player needs to be judged as an individual. That said you really need to pick a better example, after getting humiliated by John Kirwan one year (I think it was 1987 or 86) Campo dramatically improved his defence. He was never the greatest or a dominant defender, but he did about as good as any other winger in world rugby against Kirwan, Tuigamala and Lomu from that point on. Yes he still got caught out and fell off a few, but generally :) speaking, he was no worse than anybody else, just average is all. It has become one of the great myths that Campo was a woeful defender.

I do not accept that a player cannot improve their skills, they just need the proper critique and then proper direction as how to fix the issue identified. That is the difference between a critic and a coach.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, Campo was never a bruising front-on tackler (very, very few wingers in his era were), but he was not a bad cover defender. Used the sideline pretty well, and held off the tackle as long as possible to keep himself "free", but could make a decent tackle when he had to. Defensive drills were not really a big part of training for backs then.
I any event, we've seen enough of late to know that players can improve this aspect of their play. Cooper and Beale both used to approach the tackle very upright, looking for the strip (a hangover from their schooldays being dominant players over their opposition). Cooper more and more showed he could tackle quite well, and it was a case of getting him to actually do it more. He could tackle, but often didn't. He demonstrably improved. Beale is big and strong enough to do it too. It might be a moot point whether he gets the chance to show it!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe the Wobs should have stopped off via the Falkland Islands as a training base for a couple of days. That would really piss the Argies off! Time for Australia to get angry and deliver some rugby beat down.

That would certainly do the trick, given the venues full name, Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, Mendoza.

M

Moono75

hopefully we aren't reliving a McBain moment from the Simpsons on Monday morning.....Mendooooozzzaaaaaaa!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Good to see the same backline stepping out, hopefully their execution can be a bit more on song than it was last week..yes I'm looking at you To'omua..and Fanga to a lesser extent. I was hoping to see Genia get a run off the bench, I was certain Link would have wanted to prep him for Brisbane. When Horne gets a run I'd like to see it in closer than the wing, at 12 most likely I guess.

The enforced changes in the forwards could be positives for this game..Horwill starting and then big Will of the bench. And hoping Higgers brings his A game. I reckon we will see 2 open sides out there at some point, Shatz will probably give someone a breather for the last 10. And Manta Ray to get his cameo cap late in the game.

Wobs by 30

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Despite taking up a fair bit of traffic on the other thread, I reckon that the whole KB (Kurtley Beale) issue has not impacted on the game preparation of the Wobs one iota.

Wobs will be keen to atone for loss in Safferland. Plenty of lads with a lot to prove have been given a chance against injury hit Los Pumas.

Men in Gold by 15-20 points. Big Kev and Higgers to get meat: one by solid graft, one seagulling.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Los Pumas established their legitimacy by taking the Saffers to within an inch of a loss earlier this year.

A victory against Los Wallabies is not needed for the legitimacy of either the competition or Los Pumas.

Status
Not open for further replies.