• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia, Mendoza 4/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear that beat Kobayashi

Bob McCowan (2)
I didn't see that. I saw a ball on the ground but it wasn't clear that it was over the line because the line wasn't visible in the shot.

Are you saying the TMO and Owens were conspiring against Australia?

A theory that i feel has solid grounds to stand on after this game. understandable that Wallabies played poorly and the bench wasn't utilised,at the end of the day its how the ways the penaltys fall that the winner is most likely decided

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
The best solution to the lazer issue is likely a very thorough search on people entering the ground with warnings of a lifetime ban if said device is found on you.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
But seriously can anybody say Argentina deserved to win? They scored a try they deserved and maybe threatened once or twice more in the whole game.
Well, they deserved it as much as us, if not more. That's not the issue.
But:-
Folau gets pushed into player, carded, then not, Owens tells Argies it was the Argie push that did it, but keeps penalty? WTF?
Kuridrani 2nd "try" - ball clearly past the line on 2 shots, final shot shows ball grounded, sideline camera mysteriously absent. WTF?
Argie LHP drop 3 scrum sets in a row, gets pinged, keeps doing it then he pings Alexander on our feed. To my eye, all looked the same dynamic - Argie LHP had his elbow pointing to the ground once pressure went on.
It's annoying.
That's without the laser bullshit which is just crap sportsmanship.
Anyway, McKenzie has his hands full getting this shit sorted out, I feel.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wobs could have really used some experienced heads in the last 10 minutes. Blokes like Pocock, Genia and Moore would have been ideal and probably found a way to dig out a result. Hooper was silly but I'm not sure that was intentional or YC worthy.. Also not sure why they didn't check the tackle on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) after he stayed down, it was clearly high but not one replay was broadcasted.

Certainly the ref isn't to blame for this result and neither are the laser pointers but fuck me dead I'd be happy if we didn't see either of them again at this level.

Well done Argies, better team on the night and deserved winners.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Line wasn't visible in the same shot but previous ones showed him and his upperbody where the hands/arms were over the line. With the corresponding grounding shown after that fact it should've been given.

I too find it odd that they can't use simple logic e.g. angle 1 shows player holding the ball on the line, but not the ball touching the line. Angle 2 shows ball touching line, but not player holding ball.

Ergo try.

But not.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I'm sick of the lasers from Argentina. IRB can sort it out with this directive "Any team who's fans point a laser at an opposing teams players will instantly lose & concede a four try bonus point"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With The Darkness wounded, and Our Mob in disarray, there should be some ginger in the next test at Lang Park with both sides keen to prove the doubters wrong.

Can't wait. Going to be an interesting two weeks on both sides of the Tasman.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm struggling to think of a Wallaby player that didn't do stupid stuff.
I mean, some did some very good things at times, but pretty much everyone had some Barry Crockers. Hard to pick a good 'un out of them.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Loss of To'omua was huge IMO. Horne was far from his best.

I think Phipps was hooked a couple minutes too early. He was heavily influencing the game at that point and White really failed to make the kind of impact you expect.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)

Pumas played simple, straightforward, winning rugby. They have the win because of it. When they kicked, they did it with purpose. When they ran, they did it with purpose. Their set piece was accurate and boisterous, again with purpose.

Bloody well done them.

Exactly. The possession stats in the first half alone tell you how poor we were.

Link has this idea that we have to play attractive rugby. Sure, but that's not what he's doing with the team. The play WAY too lateral, have no discipline at the break down and also no cohesion there.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Pumas played simple, straightforward, winning rugby. They have the win because of it. When they kicked, they did it with purpose. When they ran, they did it with purpose. Their set piece was accurate and boisterous, again with purpose.

Bloody well done them.

Best of all, they knew how the ref was going to do things, and used that to their advantage. Owens favours the side with the ball - if Link and his entire staff down to the dirt trackers didn't understand that after the last quarter of last week, then they're just not fucking paying attention.

Instead we committed minimal numbers to the breakdown and let ourselves get turned over or kick it away in frustration. Hardly a surprise we can't find the legs for a try at the end.

OK, Hooper's yellow card was borderline, but when you're 73 minutes into being the ref's worst enemy, you're not likely to get any tuggies from the bloke. Its no surprise Owens was looking for infringements on our part either; if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, ITS A FUCKING DUCK.

Its at this point, I'm done with Hooper as captain. A good captain keeps his fucking players in line, but most of all gets a rapport going with the ref in order to get his point across. It means little when you're winning handsomely, but is a great help when you're under the pump.

There were several rucks where we basically just gave away the ball or a stupid penalty because we weren't clinical enough in our cleanout.

Then there was the lateral running, like we were afraid of getting tackled. The whole forward pack has to take blame for that because they achieved jack fucking shit in close. The lineout was the only functional part of our game, and then barely.

The backs had bugger all to work with, and then when they DID get it, they fucking kicked it away, ran sideways, or otherwise made stupid decisions under the impression that the Argies weren't going to defend their home ground with a passion.

The coaching staff are the first lot under the microscope, and it isn't pretty. It was clear our forwards were fucked from last week, and yet the bench wasn't utilised until too late, for what was a long week after the stuffing was knocked out by the Boks.

After that, the players need their fucking heads examined. Why the fuck, knowing how Owens refs, wouldn't you let them have the ruck ball, then just fan out and smash the next runner?

Just basic fucking rugby.

Wallabies jersey going in the drawer. I doubt whether it will come out again this year. Fuck getting up at arse o'clock to watch them get smacked about like schoolboys.
All true. Sadly.
I'm starting to agree re Hooper, but I cannot easily see who to make captain, who will likely be on the park most / all game?
He seemed to have lost control of the team and his relationship with the ref there.
It's not an easy solution.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm sick of the lasers from Argentina. IRB can sort it out with this directive "Any team who's fans point a laser at an opposing teams players will instantly lose & concede a four try bonus point"

As several people have pointed out when I put my theory up on twitter (any laser pointed at a kicker immediately results in yellow card to opposition), then you'll have people lasering their own kicker.

Anyway fuck that. On to bigger matters:

our ruck work was non existent all game and who do we have sitting on the bench? Matt Hodgson.

Fuck here we go again.

Please, don't ANYONE start this "oh we need a fetcher - that'll fix everything if we put my favourite player on the pitch" unless you've actually played rugby and understand how referees operate.

Owens is firmly in the "play rugby with the ball" camp. Hodgson was about as much chance of the turnovers as several of our players tonight who had hands on the ball, and were the only ones on their feet. The rest were NEVER GOING TO BE GIVEN because Owens gives benefit of the doubt to the attacking side. I yelled at the TV too, but not because HODGO WOULD HAVE GOT THAT!!! but because it was a fair penalty for anyone.

Now is not the time to play fucking provincial favourites. Now is the time to :

1) Congratulate Argentina for playing good, tough rugby and finally getting their first win of TRC.

2) Castigate the players for their ill discipline ACROSS THE BOARD

3) Criticise openly the coaching staff for what is clearly an inadequate game plan and poor use of the bench

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The best solution to the lazer issue is likely a very thorough search on people entering the ground with warnings of a lifetime ban if said device is found on you.

Hard to apply certain spectator standards across jurisdictions.

Pitch invasion in NZ:
$500 for unclothed male invaders.
Warning only for unclothed females (provided that assault a player on the buttocks).

Pitch invasion in Australia:
$5000 and lifetime ban.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
@Pfitzy Im not talking about that.

Ruck work goes both way on attack and defence.

How many times did we loose the ball when on attack how many feet and hands did the argi put in. A LOT

Players like Poey and Hodgo don't just win you turn over ball they help you get clean ball when you in possession something that we had sweet fuck all of in this match.

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)

Bloody well done them.

Best of all, they knew how the ref was going to do things, and used that to their advantage. Owens favours the side with the ball - if Link and his entire staff down to the dirt trackers didn't understand that after the last quarter of last week, then they're just not fucking paying attention.

Instead we committed minimal numbers to the breakdown and let ourselves get turned over or kick it away in frustration. Hardly a surprise we can't find the legs for a try at the end.

OK, Hooper's yellow card was borderline, but when you're 73 minutes into being the ref's worst enemy, you're not likely to get any tuggies from the bloke. Its no surprise Owens was looking for infringements on our part either; if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, ITS A FUCKING DUCK.

Its at this point, I'm done with Hooper as captain. A good captain keeps his fucking players in line, but most of all gets a rapport going with the ref in order to get his point across. It means little when you're winning handsomely, but is a great help when you're under the pump.
God bless you for saying that. I am a Reds fan, so I admit to anti-Tah bias, but on this occasion I can't even say it is my bias. Hooper is not a captain, and it is also affecting his game, so lose-lose. Not sure who the alternative is, but seriously I my nan would be better at ref management.

Status
Not open for further replies.