• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If you were learning something (anything), I'm not sure that it's really helpful having so many different people telling you what to do. I have no problem with a different coach every year or maybe even two coaches club/school, but I think any more than that is information overload and more likely to lead to confusion than anything else.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If you were learning something (anything), I'm not sure that it's really helpful having so many different people telling you what to do. I have no problem with a different coach every year or maybe even two coaches club/school, but I think any more than that is information overload and more likely to lead to confusion than anything else.

I think you are right.
However, at 15 I wonder why we don't just concentrate on the fundamentals and let everything beyond that take care of itself.
If we did that and all coaches knew and understood the fundamentals then any number of coaches in a season would be ok because they'd all be talking the same lingo.
But, I guess you cannot do that if you are actually preparing to play a comp and the coaches are building a CV.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
If anyone from WA or Victoria is reading .....when did / do your squads form and start training for this year's U15 JGC. Also I am assuming the same as last year with just 1 x team ( which effectively is a State Team )

Mr_Trash

Stan Wickham (3)
Is there even going to be a JGC for U15 this year? I know that there is going to be a National U16 Champs on the GC this September holidays, I would assume this is going to replace that.

I had heard from past interactions with WA that they had up to 6 months of planning and preparations for JGC along with the ability to use the larger squads (which were designed to counteract the fact all their games were within a 7-10 day window)

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
So the earlier commentary around culture / coaching / teaching etc is cool if you are participating in JGC as part of the WA and Victorian team entrants , but realistically , the QLD and NSW entrant teams will be more disparate ( comparatively ) given that the competition is a wham bam thank you m' am in format over a week at TSS on the Gold Coast at the end of September

In QLD's case I understand there will be 75 x players evenly spread across 3 x teams. There is like 240 players across GPS/AIC "A Rugby" and then factor in another 60 odd that are cumulative of "A/B" players at these schools , players not at GPS/AIC Schools that may be playing Div 1 to Div 3 Rugby in Brisbane and attending a State School + those that form part of a Provincial or Remote Talent ID look sees. Things probably start getting pretty thin past the top 20% ( say 60 players and more like 45) .....which means , QLD , likely has 1 x team too many - although , the intent seems to be to stock it up from the best of the U14's below

I imagine the same is probably the case in NSW

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hey Trash

The U16 Comp runs concurrently with the U15 JGC on the GC

Only 2 x QLD U16 Teams

Will be interesting to see who / which of the GPS Schools let their guys participate in this given training / prep , I would imagine , straddles across the GPS Season .

Could be a 1 week super camp / come together so as not to disturb the GPS Season that would get the best U16 talent available though

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is there even going to be a JGC for U15 this year? I know that there is going to be a National U16 Champs on the GC this September holidays, I would assume this is going to replace that.

I had heard from past interactions with WA that they had up to 6 months of planning and preparations for JGC along with the ability to use the larger squads (which were designed to counteract the fact all their games were within a 7-10 day window)

National U16 is replacing JGC U17. JGC U15 is still going ahead, but pretty heavily altered.
If anyone from WA or Victoria is reading ...when did / do your squads form and start training for this year's U15 JGC. Also I am assuming the same as last year with just 1 x team ( which effectively is a State Team )

Trials are July/August because the tournament is in late September. It's been replaced in Victorian with the skills and fitness based preseason program for good prospects, but each Union is doing what they think is best.

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
Hey Trash

The U16 Comp runs concurrently with the U15 JGC on the GC

Only 2 x QLD U16 Teams

Will be interesting to see who / which of the GPS Schools let their guys participate in this given training / prep , I would imagine , straddles across the GPS Season .

Could be a 1 week super camp / come together so as not to disturb the GPS Season that would get the best U16 talent available though

They will only be looking for 1 team, as the other team is already filled by the U16 Reds boys. Info received from a parent of one of the boys. Saw the email myself.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Met West - U15 Rugby League Champions from the weekend just gone - defeating Met North in the final

8 x Met West and 5 x Met North players selected in the U15 QLD Schools Team ( Maroon ) apparently there is a 2nd team ( White ) but I haven't seen the team list yet

Will be interesting to see if / how this parlays to upcoming U15 Schools Rugby tournament

Thought this was the most appropriate thread for it seeing as though this tournament will be part of a viewing platform for U15 JGC in September

Mr_Trash

Stan Wickham (3)
Met West - U15 Rugby League Champions from the weekend just gone - defeating Met North in the final

Will be interesting to see if / how this parlays to upcoming U15 Schools Rugby tournament

Thought this was the most appropriate thread for it seeing as though this tournament will be part of a viewing platform for U15 JGC in September

Would be interesting to see the make up of the Met West side- I suspect a good chunk of them would come from Ipswich High which has a big league program now a days- we saw a few of the boys in that program play in the Ipswich JGC squad last year- ie this years u16 program, but only one of them played regular rugby and the rest were co-erced into it by an encouraging teacher, who was doing it off his own back. One of them was Shem Vui's little brother who until that point hadn't played union himself.

The league program at Ipswich will generally discourage boys from playing union despite a principal who is union mad himself.

The teacher who recruited the boys for JGC is not there now so I will be shocked if there is much correlation between the RL result and possible squad implications for JGC.

Unless of course the QRU actually gets off it's tail and encourages some of those boys to get involved somehow.

Hilltop View

Peter Burge (5)
Would be interesting to see the make up of the Met West side- I suspect a good chunk of them would come from Ipswich High which has a big league program now a days- we saw a few of the boys in that program play in the Ipswich JGC squad last year- ie this years u16 program, but only one of them played regular rugby and the rest were co-erced into it by an encouraging teacher, who was doing it off his own back. One of them was Shem Vui's little brother who until that point hadn't played union himself.

The league program at Ipswich will generally discourage boys from playing union despite a principal who is union mad himself.

The teacher who recruited the boys for JGC is not there now so I will be shocked if there is much correlation between the RL result and possible squad implications for JGC.

Unless of course the QRU actually gets off it's tail and encourages some of those boys to get involved somehow.

I see 4 of the boys selected in the QLD team are at Ipswich Grammar so they be encouraged to play.

Attachments

• IMG_4986.PNG
    IMG_4986.PNG
    213 KB · Views: 288

Mr_Trash

Stan Wickham (3)
IGS were pretty supportive and encouraged their boys to JGC last time around so I hope they do the same again.

Luckily they subscribe to the idea that to be better at football you should play football, unlike some of the other GPS schools who count their kids as 'investments' and don't allow them into things like JGC.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Correction - 6 Met West
4x IGS
1 x BBC
1 x Ipswich High

Correction too

Met North - only 4 -not 5 as previously reported

1 x GT
1x Grace Lutheran
2x Wavell High

3 x Met East

2x Marsden High
1 x BSHS

Everything else from South Coast

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
IGS were pretty supportive and encouraged their boys to JGC last time around so I hope they do the same again.

Luckily they subscribe to the idea that to be better at football you should play football, unlike some of the other GPS schools who count their kids as 'investments' and don't allow them into things like JGC.

Well the JGC is at a great time of year to allow them some leeway this year.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
https://www.facebook.com/qssrl/

QLD U15 White Team

Only two Brisbane GPS boys here and 1 x Downlands lad of the next 20 named after the Maroon Team

All the rest are regional - still with a heavy South Coast flavour of Coombabah, Keebra and Palm Beach Currumbin but a lot more "high and wide" with the Downs , CQ and FNQ well ( and evenly ) represented

Interesting that there were no AIC boys named in the Top 40 - which is interesting considering the pro league drive of the majority of the AIC Schools ( compared to GPS Schools at least ) so not sure what's up with that. Could it be a clash with AIC Rugby Season and a directive not to trial and try and earn selection to play ?

Pleased to see Connal Grealy from Downlands get acknowledged after a series of strong performances in last year's U14 Rugby State Champs which led to his selection in the Country team at fullback

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Mr Trash

I hear the IGS guys are rocking and ready to go for Met West if they are selected - which you would expect a bunch of them would be

I also understand BBC have also given their blessing because , fortuitously , the Carnival falls in their bye round this year so their GPS Rugby Season wont be disturbed

BSHS will likely let all their guys play ( Met East ) as they traditionally don't really care how these things impact a school season

The rest of the GPS Schools I believe will cock block it given that it directly interferes with their school season ( and fair enough too ) Therefore I would expect Met North would be fairly weak compared to Met East and Met West that have the 3 x strongest rugby schools teams in the age group

Given that IGS and BBC are two of those strongest , and , with Met West's recent dominance of Schools League you'd expect that Met West should steam roll

Note : You had 8 of these boys from IGS /BBC who played on last year's U15 Ipswich JGC Team as younger U14 lads. There were 2 x others ( IGS boys ) who played JGC Gold and 1 x more ( BBC ) who played JGC White - these guys also U14 at the time. All these boys equipped themselves well by playing "up"

Status
Not open for further replies.