• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They'd want control, and that would mean they'd run it off the rails with self-interest and their own form of political correctness.
The new logo might get their interest
Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 12.53.00 PM.png

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good on you 2bluesfan for picking that up.

Thought I'd slip that one in under the "fine print" at the end of the list on the assumption that no one would get down that far in detail.

We just want the money to run the site, not vested interests and unpaid interns running the show. :)

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good on you 2bluesfan for picking that up.

Thought I'd slip that one in under the "fine print" at the end of the list on the assumption that no one would get down that far in detail.

We just want the money to run the site, not vested interests and unpaid interns running the show. :)
I have to say that Pulver et al could/should look at the idea and fight the urge to control GAGR if they did fund it. GAGR does more to promote Rugby than ... oh wait ... umm ... never mind, oh well, steady as she goes chaps.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
I hear that Mr Pulver is looking to fill his last position vacant on his team, that of GM Participation. My snouts suggest he has short listed for interview next week a person currently employed in rugby. The alternative is for someone to add some real strategy to the role and ideally has some rugby nous in respect to community rugby to ensure we get more people playing and supporting the game at ground level. As mentioned earlier this person will need the skill to bring the NSW factions together which has never happened for the past 120 years. The other states seem to better organised as they started after NSW showed them what not to do!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I haven't received any recent invitations to have a cup of tea at Rugby Central in St Leonards, so I guess I'll have to continue my crusade via the keyboard.:)

My thoughts on the matter is that an outsider with community rugby nous is needed.

Belly from 2 Blues would be good but that would tear the guts out of what is currently a well oiled machine. In a couple of years, after some succession measures are in place, then by all means conduct a raid on 2 Blues, and extract Mr Bell.

Most other current (and recently non-active) NSW community rugby administrators and leaders are pretty meh, and IMHO are far too tainted with WII-FM and self interest to perform this role.

I hope Mr Pulver has a reasonable budget allocation for remuneration for the GM, as well as some decent $ for him to spend on growing the game.
We all know if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, and that you have to spend to sell. Without adequate remuneration and operating budget for the GM Participation, the results will be a foregone conclusion.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
I haven't received any recent invitations to have a cup of tea at Rugby Central in St Leonards, so I guess I'll have to continue my crusade via the keyboard.:)

My thoughts on the matter is that an outsider with community rugby nous is needed.

Belly from 2 Blues would be good but that would tear the guts out of what is currently a well oiled machine. In a couple of years, after some succession measures are in place, then by all means conduct a raid on 2 Blues, and extract Mr Bell.

Most other current (and recently non-active) NSW community rugby administrators and leaders are pretty meh, and IMHO are far too tainted with WII-FM and self interest to perform this role.

I hope Mr Pulver has a reasonable budget allocation for remuneration for the GM, as well as some decent $ for him to spend on growing the game.
We all know if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, and that you have to spend to sell. Without adequate remuneration and operating budget for the GM Participation, the results will be a foregone conclusion.
o_O Sorry to hear that you haven't been sipping tea at St Leonards. Maybe Mark Green (GM, NSW Subbies) is the one having tea next week?? BUT I agree (and prefer) a candidate that fits with your sentiments about "outside" and "community rugby nous".[/quote]

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just realised the sexist language in my previous post, and the automatic assumption that the GM Participation would be a "him".

To the contrary, I reckon a woman would be able to nail this job. Most of the more sane Junior Village club and District Presidents and administrators that I have come across tend to be females.

What a great message to send to the marketplace about the value of women's rugby and the place of women in rugby, seemingly a targeted growth area, than to appoint a woman to the position of GM - Participation.

A great pity that the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs beat us to it.

PS. It's a fairly common name, so I am assuming that Mark Bell GM NSW Subbies is not related to Michael Bell GM 2 Blues.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Just realised the sexist language in my previous post, and the automatic assumption that the GM Participation would be a "him".

To the contrary, I reckon a woman would be able to nail this job. Most of the more sane Junior Village club and District Presidents and administrators that I have come across tend to be females.

What a great message to send to the marketplace about the value of women's rugby and the place of women in rugby, seemingly a targeted growth area, than to appoint a woman to the position of GM - Participation.

A great pity that the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs beat us to it.

PS. It's a fairly common name, so I am assuming that Mark Bell GM NSW Subbies is not related to Michael Bell GM 2 Blues.
[edit] Huge, I agree with you on 'women'! Also for the record Michael Bell (2 Blues) and Mark Green (subbies) are very different beasts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Huge, I agree with you on 'women' and Michael Bell (2 Blues) and Mark Bell (subbies) are very different beasts.

Oh for a comma. I know what you mean, but that missing little piece of punctuation does allow for some rather mischievous interpretations of your sentence. :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
./... snip.../.

Aust Club Champs
2013 Australian Junior Rugby Union U15 (interstate) & U17 (nationals) will be in Canberra, October 5th to 7th as part of Canberra's 100 Yr celebrations

AJRU Information
https://www.facebook.com/AJRUNationals2012

Which states will be at the Australian U15 and U16 Club Championships?
Assume ACTJRU, QLDJRU and NSWJRU will be there.
Anyone else, or will they be renaming the tournament the "East States and Territory Championships"?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ anyone??

NSW JRU have selected their U17 & U15 teams.

Anyone got any leads on the Interstate teams for this Championship.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
^^^ anyone??

NSW JRU have selected their U17 & U15 teams.

Anyone got any leads on the Interstate teams for this Championship.

The QJRU do not have their state champs until 23 Sept to 25 Sept. From that carnival there will be City and Country teams selected to play on Friday 27 September at Ballymore for u13's to u17's.

While no more information has been published, I suspect the QJRU will select the required teams after the City v Country matches, which does not allow much time until the interstate games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dark Shark, Thanks for the insight about how things are done up your way.

Are the QJRU state champs and City v Country held after the end of the "normal" Village Club season?

The Sydney JRU Grand Finals are in the Calendar as from 30 Aug, 31 Aug and 1 Sep for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday Competitions. NSW Country Grand Finals are within a week or so of those dates.

It would be rather warm up your way in late September if you are still playing regular Village club footy.

The QJRU Rep teams may be seriously underdone going into the "National" Club Championships.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Hugh,

I like Georges post/information it helps inform the debate well. I have a different view on the objectives of rugby development. Relative to you I place a much lower emphasis on winning teams and where the "talent" plays rugby.

My view is the first and formost the objective of the ARU and other levels should be that:
  • Every boy and girl who wants to play rugby can and have a good time doing it, and get their fair share of time on the paddock no matter what level of skill they have.
  • That they are safe doing it.
  • Any one who wants to take it further can, and feel that they will be treated fairly and equally.
If you can get that bit right then the rest will follow, it doesn't particularly matter where they are playing thier rugby.

So the KPIs for the ARU should be how many people are playing rugby, really? and do those playing feel they are having a good time and are being treated fairly, will they be back next year?

Your points about school boys double dipping goes to the heart of fairness, they displace club players who must feel badly done by and hence head off to games where they feel they will be more fairly treated e.g. "our game".

Your 3 points are smack on target & in the correct order.

#1 has to be about providing opportunity to participate - even think you'll find it buried in a number of charters / constitutions.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Are the QJRU state champs and City v Country held after the end of the "normal" Village Club season?

The QJRU Rep teams may be seriously underdone going into the "National" Club Championships.

Yes, the BJRU GF's are held a fortnight before the State Champs.

Yes the state teams will be underdone as a team, but they will have played up to seven games in that State Champs / Cityv Country week of mostly tough matches, so the players will be match fit.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Man on the Hill,
So important is the measured participation rate that part of the pay of the ARU execs needs to be set off participation growth rates and these figures need to be independently audited, signed off (auditor and directors) and published. Nothing else will follow without realistic and solid growth in the game at junior levels.

PS this is probably not the right thread for this discussion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was a fairly robust analysis and debate on player participation figures contained in the ARU Annual report.

Linking the ARU executive remuneration to Player participation numbers is only going to lead to further creative accounting measures.

@Hughie point that player participation growth is vital for a healthy game can not be overstated.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Still hearing plenty whispers on some major changes the ARU program. From what I understand there will coaches appointed at Zone level for the U15 & U17 to compete in a National style competition and my Secret Squirrel had indicated it is all officially "unofficial". Will this now see the demise of the Sydney Juniors & Country Juniors pathway to a NSW jersey leaving this ARU controlled competition & Schoolboys as the "Pathway to Gold?"

In addition to the above pearl, I am now hearing that the 2013 National Champs may not happen. This must be worrying for proponents of the "alternate pathways" through junior clubland.

Apparently NSW are playing ACT in the Under 17's in mid September not on the October Long Weekend as part of the Canberra Centenary Celebrations.

The national Championship for Under 17's seems to be just Qld JRU vs NSW JRU.

Not sure what is going on in the Under 15's.

Vic JRU are apparently trying hard to be invited to the "big table".

George Smith, any idea on how the $100k grant for the AJRU administrator is going and what they are actually doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.